Christine, can you help ? Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar

Body: 

Not sure if you remember or not, but I have been having ongoing issues with my stomach/bowels. So, I have been gluten free for almost six months. I definitely felt better going g-free, but not completely. (always had yellow/gold pasty poo with undigested food in it and would have to go 8-10 times per day, and, my whole left side would just ache and I would get sooo sleepy after a bm) Anyway, I read something that apple cider vinegar is good for digestion, so I had some Eden Organics Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and took a shot glass full before breakfast. Worked! So, now for the past two weeks I have had normal bms everyday. I am even gaining weight too! I have an appt with another gastroenterologist and have to explain myself once again. Would you have any idea why this would help me sooo much? I feel like the dr is going to look at me like I'm crazy!! I'm glad I feel better, but is 3 oz. of vinegar per day good for me??

This is such great news, Candice. Yet another great home remedy that simply works and was widely practiced before the days of modern medicine. Years ago I had a bottle of raw apple cider vinegar that I kept in the cupboard (didn't know better) and it grew a "mother" in short order, which looked somewhat like a jelly fish. I took it to my microbiology professor and was so amazed to learn the story of vinegar. Now we do so many fermented foods - but I should make (and take!) my own vinegar. My guess is that it balanced your pH levels, as it is alkaline. Our bodies are often too acidic on Western diets. You could also have benefitted from its probiotic qualities. I think the amount you are drinking is good to combat your acute condition, but for ongoing use I understand 2 teaspoons in 8 ounces of water 3Xday is ideal. Bravo! Christine

I was so impressed with Kiki's results that I bought some turmeric capsules today, and so impressed with mom30's story that I got some raw apple cider vinegar as well. I will try just about anything these days in search of some improvement in my condition.

A.C. vinegar is widely touted as a cure for lots of things, or as a general enhancer of health. My bottle says that refrigeration is not necessary--I don't think anything can actually grow in the stuff. However, I do believe that vinegar is acidic, not alkaline. I don't know how it helped mom30 so much, from a biochemical point of view, but it's absolutely great that it did!

Saddleup

Yes...it would seem acidic and perhaps pasteurized vinegar is. pH of a food is determined by the "ash" that is left after its metabolism. Lemon is actually quite alkaline-forming and so is raw vinegar and raw milk. Pasteurized milk is more acidic. Raw vinegar, like yogurt or buttermilk can grow more of the culture that originally fermented it. :)

...isn't an accurate term for these foods - but rather cultured.

Hi, Christine:

I'm not familiar with looking at foods as alkaline or acidic in their effects on the body. To me, it is counter-intuitive to think that an acidic product like vinegar will produce an alkalinizing effect when metabolized. I also don't know why that is preferable. Can you recommend a resource where I could find out more? Thanks.

Saddleup

I was just thinking that I must just have a gluten problem and although I do not eat any, I'm sure that it is hidden/cross contamination and I get small amounts anyway. My thought is, is that the apple cider vinegar works as a "cleaner" and gets rid of any bad bacteria in there.

Hi all,

Using apple cider vinegar as part of your salad dressing is great!

I like to use Bragg organic, raw apple cider vinegar 'with the Mother ', as was suggested to me by a Medical Herbalist.

On the bottle it states:

"It contains the important Mother, which occurs as molecules of protein connected in strand-like chains."

I suppose this would be similar to taking a bit of your present yogurt, to start up a new batch.

All I know is that combined with olive oil over my salad, it is awesome :)

Cheers!

Oceanblue

LOL at Microbiology teachers and cultured foods -- my teacher made his own sauerkraut! Anyway, it is thought provoking to think of how the human race ate before refrigeration. Lots of cultured foods either on purpose for preservation or on accident from all the good "bugs" wafting in the breeze. Every world cuisine I can think of has some cultured food as a daily staple: yogurt, kefir, kim chee, poi, vinegars of every kind, pickles of every kind, kombucha, sauerkraut . . . . there is a definite love between the optimal functions of the human body and cultured foods.

...that food is medicine and medicine is food.

Saddleup...I have tried to remember/find this information in books and have been unable to do so. However, just google pH food chart and you will come up with many good guides. :) Christine

So, do cultured foods include wine and beer? Or maybe they're "fermented." My entire abdomen feels good when I drink a pint of Guinness. Honest. Maybe it's the antioxidant properties of that dark, rich brew:)

We are so scared of bugs. It is so stupid, because we are not really one organism at all. There are bugs of different sorts throughout our bodies, outside and inside. We are more like a whole ecosystem than a single being. To me it is quite natural that we consume food that has live bugs in it. All we have to do is keep them balanced.