read this one

Body: 

Sorry, but my first post somehow came out incomplete so I'll try again.

Hello everyone. About five weeks ago I noticed my cervix protruding out of my vagina a week after I delivered my second daughter. It was an unmedicated, fairly easy birth. However, I'd had two previous D&Cs and a difficult labor (prolonged second stage and vacuum extraction) with my first daughter and figured these were the major contributing factors. All the confidence I felt about my body and the post birth euphoria evaporated. When I searched the web for answers all I found was surgery and hysterectomy. I went to bed feeling devestated and I didn't sleep more than a few minutes that night. When I saw my midwife the next morning my cervix apparently had returned to its normal position and she told me to do kegels and not to worry. A physical therapist I saw the next week told me the same. I was reassured but still concerned and wished there was more I could do. I've ordered the book and video and look forward to reading/doing them - though I'm wondering how I'll find the time with a newborn and a 3 year old who doesn't nap. Until then I have a few questions I'd really appreciate insight into.

How does prolapse effect one's sex life? I've read different things.

Will I still be able to push around a stroller when I walk? My main form of exercise had been a weekly yoga class and wheeling my daughter around the often hilly paths in our area every day at a fast pace. Will this no longer be an option?

The physical therapist I saw recommended using vaginal weights after I stop bleeding. Would these be of any help at all?

Has anyone had any success with accupuncture or craniosacral therapy?

Thanks so much.

I have no issues with sex and I have universal prolapse (all 3). All probably mild and only rectocele symptomatic in that I have to assist myself to void if I my diet has been lacking fiber.

Do you understand how to hold your body in the posture? I found that the height of my stroller "pushing bar" (can't think of the name! LOL!) was perfect for me to hold the posture while I pushed it. That's the biggest key for restoring the organs to natural position: posture while walking.

Exercise is tricky. I have 5 yr, 2 1/2 yr, and 5 mo old. However, there is one exercise that really moves everything into place and I try to be sure to do it everyday (all 4's kicking heel to ceiling). I can do this while cooing over my baby lying on the floor. Experiment with the one(s) that you find invaluable and make time for it and sit and stand and walk in the posture.

AS far as weights go see Christine's post about "one side of the box" (can't remember the name of the post, but that's something she said about kegals).

Hi Phoebe and welcome,

If you begin now to provide your pelvic organs their proper skeletal support (posture) it's likely prolapse will never become a serious issue for you. Jane's comment about the stroller is very important. You want the handle bar at a height where your shoulders can be pressed down (see posture download on home page.)

Although accupuncture and craniosacral work are good adjuncts, prolapse is a structural problem and can only be effectively addressed through changing the structure. I'll just copy the post Jane was referring to:

"The singular focus gynecologists made of the pelvic floor has been in large part a wild goose chase. Doctors of yore observed that the organs were falling through the genital hiatus, or split in the pelvic floor musculature, and therefore assumed muscle weakness (and stretched

Christine,
I remember that post from the first time I read it. It was one of several of your descriptions that helped me really "get" the posture. thanks.
i have wondered something about this and haven't put it into words ... i assume, based on all you have said, that when we tip the box back onto its edge that the contents (the prolapse) will have the momentum to move where they belong ... up and over the public bone ... even if the incorrect posture has already allowed the contents (ie the bladder) to slide downward so far? i walk in the posture and am now running in the posture ...
i'm not doing a good job of asking my question ... sorry!
loralie

Thank you Christine and Jane for your helpful responses.

I've got the book and video now. I'm finding them interesting and helpful, and importantly, they have made me less nervous about getting up and moving again.

Thanks again.

Hi Christine,

I'm a little confused at one of your responses to Phoebe.

Phoebe "About five weeks ago I noticed my cervix protruding out of my vagina a week after I delivered my second daughter."

"In the non-prolapsed state, the cervical os, or opening, is at the level of the ischial spines. If the uterus and bladder are only slightly prolapsed (like yours), kegel exercises can help to move them up to the level of the pelvic floor."

My confusion is if the cervix is protruding outside the vagina wouldn't that be more than a slight prolapse? I ask this because I have the same thing that happens to my cervix (which is usually during ovulation.) And I have been diagnosed with cystocele stage 2. & Uterovaginal prolapse. No mention of my uterus or cervix. Although it is when the cervix is outside the vagina that it is the most bothersome. I also asked my Urogyn if I have any elongation of the cervix and she said NO. I am curious when someone says they have a mild prolapse what is mild? A stage 1? Which I've read really wouldn't be bothersome.

If Christine or anyone could shed some light for me I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Deb

Hi Deb,

Sorry about the confusion. I copied that part of my response to Phoebe from an earlier response to Loralie, who has a milder state of prolapse. Yes, stage one would be just into the vaginal canal, while stage 3 is at the opening. These are not very precise diagnoses and a more scientific system has been developed, but these three "stages" seem to want to remain the common vernacular.

:-)Christine

Debbie's post has highlighted something that has confused me for a while and that is how prolapse severity is graded and how severe mine is.

My cervix was only protruding outside for one evening the week after my daughter was born. In the last seven weeks it has remained inside. When I felt for it while standing in the shower last week I needed to put my finger all the way in before I felt it. Still, though, I have this "falling out" sensation most of the time but am usually too nervous to check where things are.

Do I still have a more advanced prolapse because my cervix made an appearance at my vagina or is it less severe since it has apparently gone back up a bit? Is the fact that it happened so soon after the birth relevant? My midwive doesn't seem to think I have prolapse at all and has counseled me to stop obsessing over this (which I can't seem to do).

Thanks for any insight or information.

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

I agree with your midwives. The type of prolapse you experienced is extremely common and usually disappears on its own, just as yours has. During pregnancy the uterus is standing straight up with the cervix pointing down into the vaginal canal. It sometimes needs time to reposition itself over the pubic bone, which women can facilitate by reinstating the lumbar curve, as we