coping with furniture and carseats with prolapse

Body: 

How do you all cope with the furniture and car seats available to you in life? I dont wish to "eat sitting on the floor" nor do I suspect my family members would be happy with such a change. Given that the house is furnished and comfortable for every one else in the house, is there a way of sitting that one can adopt that would provide some comfort and perhaps not exacerbate prolapse? Do you perch yourself forward on the seat near the edge, put your feet up on the rungs of chairs which allows you to have your stomach kind of pushed out in front? What about the car? That one is really hard for me. I am never happy sitting in cars; even before I discovered my prolapse, I have arthritis in my back, plus scoliosis and having my rear end lower than my knees causes a lot of discomfort anyway. Please pass on your hints for carrying on with normal furniture. Can I ever sit on a sofa again?

txswimmer

yes, I perch myself on the edge of my seat. I try to keep my feet flat on the floor but end up tucking them under and up on the rungs under the chair.
its ok to get comfy on the couch every now and then, but to hang out like that hours a day won't help your prolapse any.
I still havent' figured out a prolapse-happy way to sit in my car. good thing I don't drive much.
maybe someone else will have more ideas

at first i found it really hard--now it's all more second nature. like gmom i perch a lot. edge of dining chairs, at work, on sofas. if i want to relax on our sofa i lie down on my side. good excuse to put my feet up--i'm not allowed to slouch! ;-)
i sit on the floor a lot naturally with two kids, and often play on all fours or knees and elbow.
in the car i just put my seat up as straight as i can--felt very horrible at first, now i'm used to it. long drives are painful but i think that's more to do with my symphesis pubis that has never resolved that inflames the whole back. my pop usually feel fairly okay, or nothing that a little walk around and leaning over / jiggle doesn't sort. we jut stop every 2 hours for a long walk now with my back anyway so that helps.

airplanes are the toughest as you can't go back enough to lie back (well, you could in first class but anyway...) but christine said cushion under the lumbar, sit back, relax, and don't stress. i do that as well if i'm somewhere and really need to sit back and relax and can't lie down.

hope that helps a bit! it does get easier and more like second nature.

Hi Txswimmer

For a start put 'driving posture' into the search box. I got 9 pages of hits. Use your browser's Find function to scan each topic for these keywords. Try other keywords that are related.

To summarise, I have yet to find a horizontal surface that I cannot sit in WW posture on, even if my butt gets numb and I have to stand up every now and then to get the circulation going. I do prefer to sit on horizontal surfaces with my feet planted well apart and flat and the weight distributed over my pubis and upper thighs, maybe rocking back onto my sit bones a bit for a bit of movement. The underside of the pelvic bones is shaped like the underside of a rocking chair. I don't think we are designed to sit absolutely still.

Car seats do present a bit of a challenge. I have a lumbar support cushion about 12inches square, to which I attached a webbing strap with adjustable buckle. It hangs over the head restraint of my driver's seat and I take it with me for long journeys in other cars, buses, planes etc. I can carry it easily by slinging the strap over my chest/shoulder or I can undo the buckle and tuck it inside the cushion and rezip the cover. I also have an inflatable c-cushion for my neck that lives inside the cover too, for plane trips.

I don't have the back of the seat absolutely upright but I keep the lumbar cushion quite low so I have plenty of room to straighten my upper back and tuck my chin without by hair clasp jabbing into the back of my head. Does this make sense?

The base of my driver's seat has a firm foam wedge on it to make it horizontal. I have trimmed the corners of it so it fits the contours of the existing seat. The car seat cover goes over the whole thing. If I am a passenger in DH's car I fold a blanket on the base to achieve a horizontal base. This makes my seat about 2 inches higher, so it wouldn't work in a sports coupe, but it works fine in my little Toyota commuter sedan. The only problem is that my windscreen mounted rear view mirror obscures my forward vision a bit, but I have become used to it. The upside is that the visor comes down lower, so it is great when driving straight into a setting sun. I have come to really like driving in a very upright position.

I would have to say that I have never met a car seat that I could not make comfortable enough for a journey of several hours. DH and I swap drivers every 100km anyway.

I use my office chair most of all. It is an old office chair on wheels. I have removed the back rest and the contoured seat. I have fitted a piece of ply to the top with some spacers on one of the bolts to make it horizontal. It also has an old sofa cushion and one of those slightly inflated round cushions that are normally used for balancing on to strengthen injured ankles and develop balance again. God gave me back and stomach muscles for a reason. I don't need support. I already have it. Just treat all chairs as stools and you cannot go wrong. The big plus is that you really know when you are slouching.

I think always the aim of how we use our bodies is to find ways of adapting what we have, rather than needing special stuff that our families don't like. The aim is not to make ourselves different, but rather to find ways in which we can normalise our lives and use what is around us in more POP friendly ways.

Cheers

Louise