workouts

Body: 

I formally used The Firm workouts to very successfully get into great shape (before baby & prolapse). It wasn't the getting skinny but the strong arms and legs... muscle definition... it was great.

I'd like to do it again as I'm missing the stregnth and endurance my body had before. This workout combines step aerobics (14 inch step),free weights (3, 5, 8, & 10 lbs), and low impact aerobics. Also does some traditional core work... like crunches...

Would doing something like this effect my prolapse..... I guess the step portion (fannylifter) concerns me the most. I've got cystocele & rectocele... not sure which stage but they sometimes protrude to opening but not outside.

Hi tmr00,

I'm not familiar with The Firm workouts, but my general response to these sorts of questions is, you can do anything you want, as long as you do it in the right shape. Be careful of crunches - and equally - the cultural mandate that a flat stomach is desirable.

I'm all for fanny lifting. From my perspective, the gluteals are a lot closer to our true core than are the transverse abs, and I will be developing this idea over the next few weeks.

Pay attention to what improves your symptoms and what aggravates, but try not to worry too much. This is a fluid condition that cannot be made drastically worse (or drastically better!) by any particular short term exercise.

Christine

Sue (memyselfandI) used to talk about step and her recommendation was to step quietly. I think this is the best advice for step- no reason you can't do it- just pull up into the posture and step lightly :)
I love the idea of lifting the fanny- though I don't really think that that is what happens- mostly more muscle develops higher- and so the appearance changes.
anyway as Louise would say 'suck it and see'

Yes, I would say, "suck it and see", but I would also be wary of any exercise that makes the pelvic organs move down (and back). Maybe back off a bit, or position your body differently, so they have difficulty protruding. Not sure how you would do this, as I am not familiar with The Firm.

If this stepping causes protrusion, I would be asking why. Stepping is really just walking up and down a really steep hill. Walking uphill is good for prolapse. Walking down backwards, perhaps not? Is it because you are hunching over on the way down? Stepping up is just like doing vertical knee raises on a roman chair. That's good for your POPs too.

My inclination is that any exercise that I cannot do in some version of Wholewoman posture from beginning to end is likely to end up in tears. There are plenty I can do, so why not do exercises that will accomplish the same ends (except for the six pack) without aggravating my symptoms and putting undue strain on the endopelvic fascia that I cannot feel being damaged or stretched further.

Your body will thank you for thinking your way through each exercise and considering the longer term implications of it for the positions of your pelvic organs.

Louise

Ya the name of the step "the fannylifter" always cracks me up....but it will give you some seriously strong quads and glutes. Guess I will just have to give it the old college try and see how it goes.... I'm definitely not after getting flat tummy... this girl has never had one and don't imagine I ever will. I've come to appreciate my womanly pooch, well really more than a pooch at the moment. ;) That is why I wanted to go back to this workout b/c I not only effectively burned fat (which I do have to lose) but it built muscle mass. I'll look forward to hearing more about your theories on the gluteals......

One more thought..

Some care does need to be taken when engaging in standard aerobic dance-exercise. A few years ago I started giving my own rendition of "Afro-aerobic" dance classes with a lot of gyrating and jumping in ways counter to the WW posture. I caused severe trouble behind my front vaginal wall to the extent that I had tremendous pressure and could not wee without great difficulty! I knew how to nurse myself back to health, but that experience confirmed for me the necessity of exercise that sustains the natural shape of the spine, and therefore normal positioning of the pelvic organs.

C.