Good news, improvement! - hope for other new Mums

Body: 

I just wanted to post an update since the short time I have been a member, for all those recently diagnosed with POP. I am now 4 months pp and things with POP have gradually improved with a few setbacks here and there.

I have just had a follow up appt with gyno and apparently have gone from a 'very large' rectocele to grade 1 in 2 months! She also said the tissue is much better. I have been feeling a lot better but do go up and down with symptoms - have to be careful not to overdo things. I just wanted to give some hope for other new Mums out there.

I have been very proactive in healing and I recommend doing as much as possible and just try anything as I think getting onto things sooner rather than later is important. I have found the herb gotu kola very helpful - helps with scarring and connective tissue, the homeopathic sepia, nutritional supplement for healing with vitamin E, A, Zinc and other nutrients. Of course the WW posture! In fact only a week ago I felt a bit worse again and really rested up - plus got some help with the housework - made such a difference!!

Also important to deal with the emotional side of things, I have tried a few things - found kinesiology helpful and talking with my husband, and of course support from this site - just knowing I wasn't crazy feeling so depressed about this. It was a relief to see that it is normal to feel like this, and it is a big deal, and does affect others lives as it has mine.

Saying all this - I still can't walk my dogs or do exercise (other than the WW) but feel much more hopeful now. As some of you said to me, healing takes time, and in just a couple of weeks I feel better than I did then.

I also found out about the 'extra stitch' I was talking about - it has created a bridge of tissue which is splitting and causing much discomfort (apparently this will heal). Now I realise my discomfort was caused by both the POP and the stitch/tissue bridge. I am seeing a midwife to help me improve this area - which if left can also create fear of pain too. So all in all feeling very positive today :-)

Aha! so the extra stitch was the problem. Good detective work. If it settles I would do nothing about it. Time is a great healer.

So glad you are getting to know your body and learning to work with it. Accepting that you might need to do things differently is half the battle. As is having a setback and knowing that it will recover.

Yesterday I had to help DH load a vanity unit onto our trailer at the shop, and unload it when we got home. I just realised late this afternoon why I was feeling a little POPpy. So I went outside and walked 300m up our driveway to collect our bins, flapping my wings high for part of the way. Felt like a dork? Sure did! But only the horses next door saw me. That made me feel a little better. Then I dug a hole about 2 feet deep to find a turncock on our water supply. I didn't feel any worse afterwards. I guess I am learning how to bend low with my butt up high. When I shovel, way out front, my arms are almost above my head, cos my head is way low, and my uterus and bladder fall towards my navel. I can feel my sacrum pushing them forwards onto my abdominal wall! I had never figured that I could use gravity to get my pelvic organs further in, but it works, even if I am using my transverse abdominus, rectus abdominus and obliques to lift the shovel!

Let's hope your improvement continues, setbacks or not. Don't chill the champers yet, if my understanding of postpartum POP is correct. It might take some time until your organs find the new 'up', but it will happen if you look after your body. I am so happy for you.

Louise

Hi Louise

Yes, I think it is the combination of the stitch and the POP which was going on together causing various symptoms. Now I understand about this bridge of tissue that has formed, and the POP I can tell which is causing me discomfort (great to have good body awareness). A lot of the improvment is acually phsychologically, so thrilled to get the improvment, and understand what is going on that I can cope better with it. But also defininately feeling less discomfort - am SO aware of not overdoing it - every time I do I regret it. But all the same I really, really want to be able to go for a walk with my dogs - the day that happens without aggravation I will be over the moon. Meanwhile I will wait until I really feel up to it, which is not just yet.

You sound very active, and also very aware of what aggravates you which is really a big part of managing things isn't it. You are very aware of your body and how to aleviate things - fantastic!

Thanks for the support.

Hi AussieMum

Just a thought. How many dogs do you take? How well behaved are they? Are they big dogs with a mind of their own, or very well-mannered, obedient dogs? Do you take them on leashes?

Perhaps you need a little cart with a comfy, upright seat and a parasol, and get them to take you, instead of you taking them? ;-)

But seriously, when you are aware of what is happening it is so much easier to judge, and you can let go of the fear of what might happen. Having control of the way you move and use your body is vital. (It is when someone else is driving the vehicle that I get unnerved.) When you are in charge of your own body, and know what you can and can't do with it, and are comfortable about saying, "no", you can let go of the fear, and have faith that your body will carry you OK. Bring it on! You'll get there.

Louise

Hi Louise,

I have 2 big dogs, who have to be walked on lead, they are ok with behaviour to humans, but can get aggressive towards other dogs (particularly if the other dog is off lead and approach). This is despite a full year of training when we got them - but they were both unwanted and very naughty due to lack of attention

They are gorgeous though and I feel so bad that I can't give them much attention at the moment - not good as they bark more and will get out and take themselves for a walk if my hubby has been too busy (and too late home from work) to do so. Ha, yes wouldn't that be lovely to be pulled along like in a sled ha ha, they are strong enough too! It is also hilly where I live and although I feel heaps better, I still get a bulgy feeling when walking and the last 2 attempts at a dog walk set me waaaaayyyyyyyyy back.

Patience, patience......

Ahh! Yes, I can see why you feel hesitant. Walking two big dogs that have issues is not what I would call controlled movement. I think you would be wise to leave it for a bit before you try that again. One dog might be manageable. Can you both walk together and take one dog each?

Sorry Louise,
I didn't read your reply to this, and didn't realise I didn't reply. I can't really go for walks at the moment, it is hilly where we live so will wait a bit longer. Am thinking of trying swimming in a few weeks - need to do some exercise!!

I don't mean to overtake this forum but what makes you so special is your humor. I love to garden so am trying to figure out how to work this to keep my organs forward toward the pubic, front area. D..., you really have to get creative.LOL I am on my hand a knees a lot and trying to figure out how to dig up some of my flowers to re plant in WW posture. Some have been good and others not so good. Once again you have been so helpful.
Thankyou

:-)