What can I eat to prevent constipation and more prolapse

Body: 

I am calling it prolapse, but it could be a rectoseal (how do you spell it?). Anyway... I work full time and eating smoothie things midday is not possible. I need something for morning and evening that are quick. Please help. I stay constipated and sluggish. I eat some fruit and veggies already. Thanks. m.

I have been taking Miralax (actually the generic brand sold at WalMart) and it works very well- I take it in the evening before bedtime and then in the morning I drink my hot beverage which happens to be coffee for me even though I know some people might chose the healthier alternative of tea. I did buy some prunes and try to eat 2 daily. Before this rectocele I had no problem at all. I did try the calcium mag powder and that works too but not the same as Miralex. I have always taken flax seed (oatmeal with the flax stirred in or in a smoothie )so you might try one of those in the morning.

hi miribelle,

nothing worse than constipation! take magnesium citrate. my nutritionist recommended it to me and it really works. it is a natural supplement. take what you need to in the beginning "to get things started ' and then taper off according to what your body needs. i take 1-2 capsules per day to stay regular. get some at a health food store or a coop though. you want it to be a good quality supplement....not something you can find at a department store. good luck! -lalita

Here's a "recipe" I came across in one of my nursing textbooks for addressing constipation before resorting to medications like Miralax. I have not tried it, though when I take psyllium, I do mix it with applesauce . . . .

Mix together:
1 cup of natural, unsweetened applesauce
1 cup 100% bran cereal
1/2 cup 100% prune juice

eat 1/4 cup each night, and drink at least 8 oz of warm water the following morning. Mixture may be refrigerated for up to 5 days.

Remember, constipation is caused when stool sits in the bowels and water is reabsorbed into the body making it hard and dry and difficult to move. All of the "interventions" in the world are for nothing if you do not also eat a whole and lively diet to encourage bowel motility. Make the "some" fruits and veggies "lots." Exercise and WATER are also very important -- 30 minutes of walking and drinking 2- 3 liters of water a day will really help banish constipation.

Best wishes!

PS rectocele is prolapse -- of the rectum.

so annoying! I never had any problems till my POP appeared. now it is a challenge. a lot of women ind mornings are no problem, but in the iafternoon stools move down and don't go anywhere. don't know if that is a problem for you, but it seems quite common with a rectocele.
things i have found help...i avoid all dairy except for live yogurt and splashes of milk in redbush tea. no chocolate at all. lots of fruit and veg--7 to 9 servings a day. about 35g of fibre a day. lots of pulses. i eat them at breakfast and that really helps. before my period when it's really bad, then i have psyllium or flax soaked in water which helps. also lots of water, and exercising.
i recently start magnesium citrate as mentioned.

hope this helps!

Kiki

PS just to clarify, rectocele is the bowel prolapsing into the vagina--just clarifying as you do also get rectal prolapses where the rectum slips out of the anus which is diff't.

Said much better than I, kiki. Thanks! :-)