Hormone Saliva Test

Body: 

A friend had her homones tested by sending saliva samples to a lab through a local pharmacy. The pharmisist then had her doctor write a perscription for natural estrogen and progestern creme that she applies to her forearm daily based on the results of this test. She is 67 and claims now to have a sex drive once again. Anyone have any input as I am considering doing the test.

I have been using bio-identical hormones since last September. I am under a doctor's care and recommend having someone monitor levels and dosages to only use the amounts necessary to avoid menopausal symptoms. I believe one of the benefits beside increased libido, is better muscle tone with the use of testosterone (1/16 of a teaspoon inside my vagina and on my perineum). I am due to have my saliva retested in two weeks to make sure my levels are correct. I am 56 years old and had my last menstrual cycle one year ago. I was having hot flashes almost daily, sometimes two times a day. My quality of life was not good. I had a few episodes after beginning hormone treatment, but my doctor adjusted dosages until they stopped. I haven't had one since. I sleep better and have no problem with foggy thinking that sometimes happens to menopausal women. Not a good thing for a High School Special Education Teacher to be a foggy thinker!
Melly

Hi Ethel Laura

I do hope your friend continues to do well. Menopause symptoms can really mess up your day.

Testosterone is the hormone responsible for libido and sexual attractiveness, as far as I know. I think your friend might have a bit of testosterone or something that metabolises into testosterone, in her prescription! The other possibility is that her overall wellbeing is much better, so she is feeling a little more lively. How wonderful!

Having said that, I am no expert, but it sounds good.

Mellie, it sounds like you have a sensible approach and have had some positive results. Have you experienced any changes in your libido, or muscle tone since using the testosterone? I agree that if you enter this somewhat unpredicable area of hormone replacement that it is important to have your progress professionally monitored, or you can end up in bad shape. Hormones are very powerful in their effect and need to be used judiciously. I would rather just stick to my red clover tea for now.

L

My saliva testing actually showed an estogen dominance condition that limited the amount of other hormones my body could produce. The work has been to bring my hormones back to a balanced state. By addressing adrenal fatigue as well (with supplements) my diabetes, and hypothyroidism is better controlled with less medication. I believe my inflammation has been reduced (haven't lost a lot of weight, but wear smaller sizes). I sleep better, get up more rested, and find my appetite and cravings are reduced. My sex life is going strong.
Melly

I am healthy, long past menopause but seeking the saliva test for several reasons:
I have worn a pessary for 10 years and use Estrace twice a week to keep the walls of the vagina in balance PH wise therefor easier to remove and replace the pessary-would the use of prgestrone cream help to balance this usage of topical estrogen.

I work out every day but thinking that Testosterone would help with muscle tone. Any thoughts on appying it topically vs the bio identical creme on the forearm?

Thank you again for any thoughts or input

Hi ethel laura

If you are looking at bio-identical hormones, which are very concentrated materials, prescribed via a saliva test, I think you need to do so with a qualified professional. None of us, as far as I can tell, are professionals in this area.

There are lots of books and websites about bio-identical hormones. Have a read up before you go to the consultation, so you can understand the basics and understand the language being used by the consultant. Choose the professional carefully, cos there are a lot of quacks out there, just waiting to ruin your health, but possibly some very sound solutions to the situation you are in. I will be very interested to hear what you find out.

Other Members who have had experience with bio-identical hormones may also post their experiences. I am not one of them, but I have just past menopause at 57 yo, and am interested in finding out about the subject.

Louise