postpartum recovery

Body: 

I'm currently half way through my first post-POP pregnancy. Does anyone who's been through this have some tips for minimising POP post birth and aiding POP healing? How soon do you start nauli etc again after birth?
I don't drive, so I'll be walking everywhere with a double stroller (already have a 10kilo toddler). Am OK to do that straight after the birth? I intend to (have to be) up on my feet quickly.
I also intend to wear the baby ALOT, I did with the first and I'm not letting my POP stop me being the kind of mother I want to be. Has anyone used the hugabub wrap? It's what I had with the first, but as it ties around the waist and hips I'm not sure it'll work this time around.
I'll also be tandem feeding a 2 year old and the baby, so I guess on the whole I'm not really making this easy for myself POP wise. Any advice from the more experienced mummies out there will be greatfully received.
Oh yes, and does anyone have any good exercises postpartum to deal with my saggy mummytummy? I don't mind having the rounded ww tummy, but I dont much fancy an apron of fat!
Ta,
Emma

Hi Emma,
I think it has been recommended here both to either start nauli after bleeding stops and / or at around 9-12 wks (this makes more sense to me as far as abdominal muscle regathering goes, but those who have actually done nauli pp would be the ones to answer).
Pushing a stroller would be best not done soon after birth, but since we all live in the real world, at least make sure you are not slouching to push, that the handle is at chest level, not too low down, and your arms ar at an obtuse angle - elbows close to body, not out in front of you. Stay in WW posture 100% of the time. Same goes for baby wearing - up high and close to your chest. I would think that something that ties around the hips and down across the pubic bone (avoid compressing the lower abs at all costs) might possibly be more conducive to allowing you to stay in posture and if done correctly can feel really supportive - this is very different than ones that tie / constrict the waist (not good under any circumstances). I would experiment with as many slings / wraps as you can and see what works best for your body and POP. I hear you about not wanting to compromise your parenting style due to your POP so I hope you find what works for you, though I suspect your POP may have the final say in this if you don't ;) Maybe some of the mamas here have some recommendations for support belt type things that work with baby-wearing?
Make sure you are very clear on proper lifting and bending technique.
Tandem feeding - avoid laying on your back as much as possible, especially in the first few weeks, and take advantage of your toddlers ability to pretzel his / her body to fit YOUR needs for POP supportive positions.
Incorporate lots of time on your belly, child's pose with legs wide, elbows and knees (great for toddler floor time).
Going back to 'I intend to be (have to be) up on my feet quickly'. What does this mean for you exactly and what can you put in place now to lessen the demands on carrying, lifting, overexerting, taxing yourself? The more time and energy you can put into immediate healing and getting to know your post-birth body the better and more efficient your long term well being will be. I am not saying lay in bed for 2 weeks, but at the very least try to gently ease into using your pp body for heavy duty tasks and only do what is necessary (the floors can be a bit dirty for the first few months ;).
Invest in a ball to sit / gently bounce on (in WW posture) and save some baby walking.
Be absolutely meticulous about your diet and hydration. Avoid constipation and no straining whatsoever.
What else, women?

Looks like the hugabub is similar to the moby, which is what I used, and it worked out okay until the baby got too grabby. I just made sure to tie it high.

I now use a ring sling (excellent for nursing out and about) and a beco butterfly II, but front carries are a little less comfy (pop-wise) than back carries, but that's fine for making dinner.

Stroller was deadly for me, I avoid it at all costs. If possible, find someone else to push the stroller... like a mother's helper?

There's my two cents.

I chose a didymos wrap over the hugabub because I felt that the woven fabric would be more supportive. I love my didy wraps! as long as the baby is high and tight, I don't find that it aggravates the prolapse
personally, I have a lot of back pain early pp, probably from overstretched ligaments and weak abs. so I try to limit how much I do until I'm a bit stronger. my best advice is to line up as much help as you can possibly arrange, whether it is hired help or a mil or a neighbor's teenager or a list of to-do's for your dh.
I don't have a double stroller, the single stroller was never a problem for me prolapse-wise, but I have one of those jogger-type. while its heavy, its sooo easy to push and the handlebar adjusts so I don't have to lean over the thing.
I don't like to start nauli/firebreathing until all lochia has stopped, but others started earlier. you can start gentle pulling up into posture immediately. pelvic rocking to regain mobility is also good, especially on hands/knees.
best mummytummy ex's I can think of is nauli. I nauli.

Emma, I love what you said about how you're not going to let POP get in the way of being the kind of mother you want to be. I feel the same way. I wore my son tons when he was a baby and my favorite carrier was the Ergo. I also have a ring sling but never felt like I could take my hands off baby and just let the sling support him; I also didn't like the assymetrical distribution of his weight across me. Also tried a few other front carriers but didn't like them. They Ergo enabled me to maintain good posture while wearing baby even on long, fast walks. I wasn't trying to do WW posture at the time, so can't comment on that for certain, but I think it would be doable. You can choose whether to wear the bottom strap around hips or higher on your abdomen, whichever works for you.

Best wishes for you and your baby!
Carrie