What about squatting?

Body: 

I found the ww site while following an internet thread on how squatting is best rather than kegels. i started squatting immediately while i waited for the postman. Now that the First aid for prolapse dvd is here I am surprised no squatting excercises?

I am not able to sit with my legs straight out in front of me without leaning backwards at obtuse angle, c-shaped back (though I can do crossed legs), but I certainly can squat. This is also a traditional pose for women to sit and work.

My prolapse just happened two months ago and I'm keen to get it sorted asap.
So now do I just do squats in addition to the WW workouts? Or?

Anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be grateful.

there's a short answer and a long answer.
short answer - squatting is ok so long as your pelvis is nutated
longer answer...
the premise of WW posture depends on your ability to nutate (or anteriorly rotate -sorry, I can't seem to give up that term!) your pelvis. your pelvis has many muscular attatchments and if any of those are tight/short then you will have trouble rotating without changing your posture above or below (that gives more slack to the muscle where its being pulled, in this case the pelvis). example, if your hamstrings are tight and you anteriorly rotate the pelvis, you are pulling on the hamstrings where they attach to the pelvis so you will try to bend your knees (that's the other point of attachment). your tight hammies are why you cant' sit with your legs straight out in front without either bending knees or curving your back (curved back means pelvis is not nutated, but posteriorly rotated).
most of the squatting I've seen in traditional exercise is with a posteriorly rotated pelvis and would not recommend doing this. however, if you can stick your bum way out and ensure that your pelvis is tipped forward, go ahead and squat!

assuming that you have limited time for exercise, I would recommend skipping squats for now and working on stretching out those hammies and learning the posture. I think the posture alone is better than kegels.

I absolutely agree with Granolamom. There may be some women who can do full squat with feet forwards, but I am not one of them. I think I have too much flesh around my joints (and belly) to allow full flexion, and Christine may be right, that it is not possible. However, I have seen pictures of women who have been squatting from birth doing full squat. Their feet develop differently so that the foot itself and the knee flex more.

This is well documented by anthropologists comparing the bones of people who come from kneeling (worshipping) from birth societies and communities v. those who come from squatting from birth societies.
Squatting is much more useful for keeping the mud and creepy crawlies off your legs when doing things near ground level, and is quicker for getting up and running away from tigers than kneeling. But if the head priest says kneel, then you kneel! (Google 'squatting facets')

All the muscles that run down the back of your thighs attach to the bottom of the back of your pelvis (the ischial tuberosities - the bits with the big hole in the middle). These muscles are termed the flexors; the quadratus femoris, the biceps femoris, the semimembranosus and the semitendinosus. Some other muscles which are adductors (move the thigh up and out to the side), adductor longus, adductor magnus and gracilis are also joined to the pelvic bones in the same area, but on the front of the IT's. These muscles all hold the back of the pelvis down and forward if they are not easily stretched to their full length. This makes the butt tuck under and the pelvic floor horizontal, which tips the bladder and uterus backwards and onto the top of the vagina. Yikes!!!!

The other important muscle to stretch is the gluteus maximus, which is your main big buttock muscle. It inserts onto the outside, top section of your thigh bone, and originates at the sides of your sacrum and coccyx at the top, with a tiny bit extending up onto the back of the crest of the ilium. This muscle, one of the biggest and strongest muscles in the body, assists in turning out of the thigh for nice ballet feet, but also pulls the sacrum towards vertical and pulls the coccyx forwards while it is pulling the thigh back at the end of a stride or rising from a squat, reinforcing the same directional pulling of the hamstrings on the ischial tuberosities.

Now, off you go, Squeaky, my friend. Look up the muscles and bones here, www.bartleby.com/107/ , or look them up in an anatomy book, then get stretching! I am sure you will get some further flexibility out of this. It will enable your body to utilise WW posture better. Go gently and steadily, and pull back from pain, each stretch for 10 seconds at least. You will not be able to 'get' the posture until you loosen all these muscles. Once you have this part stretching out effectively you can start working on your upper body flexibility which is equally important.

Louise

fully
with flat feet (wonder if mine look foreign)
alway have been able to

but can not for the life of me arch my back while in a full squat - I saw a website that said it was possible but I don't believe it-
maybe if you run away to the circus and have special skills :)

fully, with high plantar arches (my ankles turn in though when I squat)
I squatted throughout my third pg (thought it was the 'right' thing to do) and birthed that baby in a full squat too. pretty sure that was NOT prolapse friendly and I DO NOT recommend full squat for birth.
I cannot arch my back in full squat (I guess I will never be able to run away with a circus, oh well!)

But I have a lot of fat just below my waist that gets in the way. If I was more hourglass shaped it might work. I can only full squat with my feet flat if they are more than shoulder width apart and turned out. I was much more flexible when I was pregnant, all three times.

Of course, when you are giving birth you are allowing your pelvic floor to open up and your pelvis to tip back, so the baby can get into the right position to come down and out, so that is quite a different kettle of fish.