Spicy Sweet Potato & Basmati Rice Soup

Body: 

Sharing a yummy soup: I organic med. sweet potato. 1/4 of one small organic onion, 4 small cloves of fresh organic garlic, dash of red pepper or to taste, 1/4 tsp. ground cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp. tumeric, 1/4 cup Basmati rice (found in your local Indian food grocery store or ethnic food isle in regular grocery stores), three tablespoons chopped fresh celantro/coriander and 1 tblsp olive oil. Prepare as follows: Heat oil to bare smoking toss in ground cumin seeds, onion and garlic...reduce heat and stir until onions are somewhat clear, add red pepper and tumeric. Stir to well mixed and red pepper is turning a little darker. Then add diced sweet potatoe and rice. Stir and add three cups water and bring to boil. Add celantro/coriander and reduce to high simmer. Cook until sweet potato is tender. You may need to keep adding water, while cooking, to maintain soup level. I do not add salt until after cooked. Then I add a bit of natural french sea salt to taste.

sounds delicious, sweetrosemarie
how many servings would you estimate that recipe yields?

Morning Granolamom. Yields about four 6 oz. servings if made as a thin soup. You could also add other veggies and more rice to make a nice hearty stew. Just adjust the spices to taste.

Thanks for recipe SweetRoseMarie - will be trying that. It must be the season for it 'cos I made soup yesterday too! Butternut squash and lentil soup - it has a lovely Autumnal colour.

Peel, de-seed and dice one large butternut squash. Peel and dice one large parsnip (or any other root vegetable such as celeriac that you have about). Roghly slice two or three shallots or one medium onion and cook until golden in a tablespoon of butter (or olive oil if preferred). Add diced butternut squash and parsnip, stir, cover and simmer on low heat for approx five minutes. Rinse approximately 3 cups red lentils under water in a colandar and add to the vegetables. Cover with water and add 1 desert spoon of Vecon concentrated vegetable stock (from health food shops) or similar (don't know what you have in US). Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables and lentils cooked - approx 20 mins. Allow to cool slightly then liquidise with hand blender or in liquidiser. Add a little more water if too thick. Season to taste with pepper and small amount of sea salt. This makes about 6 large servings. All amounts approximate as I don't follow recipes for most of my soups!

Enjoy :)

Pollyanna

Thank you, Soup Queens. Looking forward to trying these.

L