Sponges

Body: 

Hi everyone. I just received my sea sponges (to use as a pessary). Commercial pessaries will not stay in place. I tried the largest sponge and it stays in place but feels very scratchy, sort of from being dry. I read a post earlier about lubricating the sponge and can't find it again. Could someone let me know if they have used lubrication and what type? Would like to wear sponge most of the time but need to have a degree of comfort.

Thank you, Christine, and thanks to you other ladies who continue to communicate to help us all let our bodies heal themselves.

I believe it was KY jelly, but I can't find it now either.

Hi Sharon,

I think if you wet the sponge enough, squeeze out the water, then insert that should do the trick. By the way, if they are too large, they will scratch (I found that out the hard way). I noticed that some of them are larger than others. The smaller ones seem more comfortable to me. However, I did read in one of the ladies posts that she found Vitamin E oil to be helpful. I would think that you would really need to soak the sponge in a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide each eve if you were to use the Vit. E so that it stays clean! Whatever works! Aren't they great though? Hope this helps!

Be well,
April

When I use the sponges I fold them in half, smear some KY jelly on the outside and on the inside of a tampax tube. Then I insert the sponge into the other half of the tampax and put some more KY on the outside of it. Then it slides right in and I don't have any trouble with that scratchy feeling.
I have been using the posture for about 4-5 months. When I was working I had to be on my feet for about 3 hrs per day supervising children in an after school program. Since I have been home during the summer I have been doing a lot of yard work such as heavy pruning, pulling weeds etc. and on my feet most all day.I have not felt the need to wear the sponge all summer.I also have not noticed that falling out feeling. During school last year that feeling was almost always present. Since school starts again Aug 8 I am hoping the prolapse won't bother me again. I don't understand why it hurt during school but not at all this summer. I truly have high hopes that my prolapse has stabilized.It bothered me a lot last summer so it has to be the posture. Thank you so much Christine for sharing it with all of us! I will be 67 in Oct., so there is hope for us mature ladies too!
Hope the tip on the sponges helps.
Jane

Almost guarateed it is the posture work that you have been doing. In addition to being more physically active. Tightens everything for that additional support.

Sybille

Jane, I think it was Christine that said cement floors are not good for us! So the schools' floors, I am sure are cement! It does tend to draw the problem down. Maybe a really good pair of shoes that specify for people that have to be standing or walking on cement all day would help you. My husband buys only Mason Shoes and he has a really bad back. Nancy

I wear several different types of shoes and they all have thick soles on them. I do have to stand in the same place a lot of the time which seems to cause more discomfort.One thing I have wondered about is if some of the problem could be stress. These are not my children and I feel I have to be extra vigilant. Not that I was not with my kids, but I kind of knew what to expect from my own and I do not with these. It is a situation kind of like recess that lasts for about 2 or so hours a day. We do have 1 hr for homework with the older kids. Nothing is quite as much fun as a bunch of pre K and kindergarden kids late in the afternoon!!!Hopefully I won't have that group as often as I did last year. I love them all but I hate bathroom time. It's the pitts!
Thanks for your suggestions. I really do think all of you are an exceptionally caring bunch of women and I am thrilled to be in contact with you all.
Jane