The future configuration of the WW site

Body: 

hi all,
i've put up a poll to solicit input on where we should go with the WW website. We love the Village, but the membership concept didn't cover the cost of creating video content every week. We're not clear how important the Village concept is to our friends and visitors. As we look to our plans for the new year, some input would be most helpful. (you have to log in to vote.) many thanks.

click here to access the poll.

lanny (DH and WW chief technology officer)

Where is the poll? :)

Listed as a poll on the Recent Posts page.

Lanny, I thought the Village was a standard site, but more pretty. How different would a standard site be to look at, and to use?

on the phone, as I've sent him several messages. Looks like he's still working on the poll.

hi louise,
hope you had a pleasant christmas weekend. we had a most needed relaxing time.

by standard site i mean, banner across the top, navigation down the left side, the normal configuration of 95% of the sites out there. make sense?

lanny

well, I just love the village. love the way it looks, love the content.
but honestly, I just dont have time to hang out there and fully benefit from it the way I'd like to. I get very little 'down time' and so I prioritize the forums and after reading the new posts and maybe adding a comment or two somebody irl needs me so off I go, again promising myself that TOMORROW I will check out the latest interview or kitchen video.
I'd be sad to see it go because its so well done, but if many people are like me it -and I hate to say this- might not be worth all the effort.

Hi Lanny

Yes, we had a great Christmas, thanks. Too much food, wine and beer, too much hot weather, all our children and partners staying over, which was wonderful. Thankfully it is only going to be 36 degrees today, as opposed to over 40 degrees Christmas Day. Cooling off a bit, with a sea breeze this afternoon, I think.

Yes, your explanation of a conventional site makes sense. It would mean that you wouldn't have to create new menu items for each page, eh?

HTML Websites have been around for a long time now, and I guess the standard layout has evolved to be what it is, for good reasons, ie ease of construction and maintenance, ease of use, and familiarity across the board which makes for easy navigation .

How much easier (cheaper/less time consuming) would it be for you guys to have a conventional layout? Considerably?

Could we keep the neat graphics and 'look' of the Village, but put it into the conventional layout? I wouldn't want to lose the distinctive 'cuteness' and 'personality' of The Village. Nik's backgrounds and collages are just lovely. They are like dolls' houses, which I think every women (even tomboys like me) can relate to.

It is about dealing with serious stuff in a playful environment. It kind of dilutes the Yuk factor, and helps us to realise that , "Hey, this is not too bad", instead of feeling like victims in a very serious medicalised environment.

Louise

well, there's no pressing need on our part to change anything, on the other hand, without new content, christine's cottage, for example, will be (and already probably is) stale, for those who followed it during the membership period. getting guest authors for the WW Post is very time consuming for both us and the authors. we will continue to add content, one way or the other, but i guess what we're trying to understand is for the typical visitor, does their interest extend significantly past the forum?

one thing is clear, any significant additions to content (other than christine's monthly articles and the occasional video, have to be monetized in some way to get the WW web presence self-sustaining, financially. in our original vision, the village could be a destination with lots of shops owned by ww members or others. we've been distracted by other projects (first aid for prolapse for elders, for example) and haven't followed up on the shops idea. our thought was there must be many stay at home moms who would love to have an online business to supplement the family income.

this would give the village metaphor some legs. it's not clear that the women coming to WW have any interests from us other than help with prolapse. a bustling online village is what we've dreamed about and these are the questions we're wrestling with and we'd love more input.

lanny

I love the web format in its present form; so creative, interactive & helpful in a variety of ways. However I understand it is probably labour & financially intensive. I wonder if it is possible to set up a donations page. I love the fact that this site is accessible to all. Some members will not be in a position to pay anything or much towards the site & service offered. However I am sure many women would willingly donate some money to the site, either on a regular basis or on occasions when they can. I think many women like myself would want to support the WW site & communication with other women in need of informaiton & support. It may not cover the cost of running the site, (on th eother hand it might!) but may significantly contribute towards it.

Like many other members, I too usually have a lack of time to participate in all the village activities now, but I think that it is wonderful to keep them on for those many members who have the time to pursue them.

I'm a bit confused about the extra cost for a paying membership.
I registered here nearly two years ago, and I find the forum very helpful and supportive.
I decided not to be a paying member ($60 a year) at this time because, as I wrote, I just don't use the other sections of the village, aside from the forums, frequently enough to warenty a paying membership.

Does this make non-paying members feel like "second-class citizens"?
Probably not, but I have a few questions.
If you are a paying member, don't you also have to pay extra if a special DVD or lecture is shown? And these features are also only available to paying members, aren't they?
And if you are going to change the village setup, what about paying members? If things are taken away, what about that?
I would prefer that all members - myself included - have an equal, free membership so that we can all participate in as much or as little as we are able.
But I know that special features cost money, alas.....
Still, I really like the forums, and they serve a very valuable purpose.
Yours sincerely,
Mozart

I like this solution very much. :-)
For those in a position to donate to the site, doing so would greatly benefit all members.
Hopefully then, the whole "Whole Woman Village" would be free to everyone, and everyone could partake in all the exciting and beneficial advice and interest groups offered in the Whole Woman Village.
I hope that there is enough support for this idea to make it happen. :-)

Hi Mozart,

The membership side of the site was taken down a couple of months ago and the Village is now open to all. We're just trying to decide if we should take the Village down entirely and replace it with a more conventional site. I understand it distracts from the serious business of prolapse stabilization and reversal. We have an emotional attachment to it though, because it took so much to create. Another option is to have www.wholewoman.com as the serious site and keep www.wholewomanvillage.com (which we also own) for fun and other interests.

Donations are welcome, but we are not a non-profit, the reason being that I could never risk being fired by a board of directors from the company I founded, which is a real possibility in a 501c3. So, donations are not tax-deductible. The only other alternative is to keep creating quality products, which is what we are committed to do.

Christine

Hi Chrisstine,
I didn't know until now that the village is now open to everyone and is free to all. I think that is wonderful, and I now feel like a first-class citizen again. :-)
There is so much in the village that we members can take advantage of and use - all your advice, your exhibitions, exercises, and the lectures, plus many other very useful things. :-)
I hope that you keep the village open, Christine!
Yes, donations for those who can support it is a wonderful idea.
As you say, you could also keep the village separate from the Whole Woman Forums if you want.
But please keep the village!
We prolapse people need all these resources that you have made available to us! :-)
And now, I can also finally look at and try out those morning exercises!
Please don't get rid of the village.
And you and others have worked so hard to create it.
Cheers,
Mozart :-)

Hi Christine,
Oops! Sorry for the typo in your name.
Cheers,
Mozart