frequent periods ands perimenopause

Body: 

Have any of you wise women who have gone through (or are going through) the perimenopause succeeded in banishing over- frequent periods through diet/ supplements?

Since stumbling on ww four odd months ago I have made huge improvements in my general health through what is generallly an anti-inflammatory diet for me - fish eating vegetarian, hardly any dairy, very little refined sugar, virtually no caffeine or alcohol, avoiding polyunsaturates and mostly low GI eating plus multi-vitamins/ minerals and omega 3 supplements. I've been eating and drinking a lot of soya products for calcium and also for their phyto- oestrogens.

This seems to have improved a cycle that could be as short as every three weeks and was rarely longer than 24 days since the birth of my youngest at 37 - nine years ago. My last three cycles were 27, 27 and 24 days long - and the periods lasted for less that a week - which seems like some progress, but not enough.

I'm not trying to reduce inconvenient symptoms (I don't have any others and the periods are not debilitating) but to control the underlying hormonal imbalance as I have always been led to believe that oestrogen dominance at my age is a cancer risk. However, all my hopeless GP could offer was to go on a low dose combined pill for a few years (I'm 47) so my periods would be 'less tiring'. Has anyone got personal experience of improving their hormonal balance with these? She wasn't interested in the bigger worry- of a cancer link - in fact she didn't seem to have heard of it.

I've been reading Christianne Northrup and looking on the Women to Women website and it would appear that it's not quite so simple as oestrogen dominance, but that the dietary steps I have been taking are in line with their advice.

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but the British NHS is not going to give me hormonal screening at my age with only the one perimenopausal symptom, and is certainly not going to give me personalised dietary advice. Synthetic hormones ( contraceptive, progesterone only or later HRT) seem to be their only approaches.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with nature identical progesterone cream ( can you get it in the Uk and is it safe?) red clover tea etc etc. I'm reluctant to buy supplements and herbs aimed at menopausal women because I'm not there yet and it seems I probably have too much oestrogen rather than too little.

Any UK whole women who know a good nutritionist, holistic doctor who does this sort of thing?

Sorry to drift away from prolapse, but it was prolapse that encouraged me to start learning about my health and taking charge of it and I honestly feel there is more combined wisdom ( and the important personal experience) on women's health in these forums than I have found with the health system. I honestly feel my little urethrocele, far from being the tragedy I though it was last summeer, has been a blessing that has made me take charge of my health and my family's health.

Hopefully

Doubtful

P.S. Christine - Christiane Northrupp and the Women to Women people offer such good, holistic women's health advice, and Christiane has heartily endorsed your book. Why does hers still seem to be endorsing kegels and surgery for prolapse, talk about 'poor connective tissue' and say nothing about the whole woman approach? She's such an influential woman and so much in the public eye: her book's in lots of public libraries and health food shops in the UK - she could really promote your approach and save lots of women from surgery.

Doubtful, I can tell you about my experience with Dong Quai. My situation was a little different from yours. I started having non stop periods when I was about 46. I first went to a family doctor that put me on a harmone (which scared me to death) and made me worse. He then referred me to a gyno that said I really needed a D&C because of my fibroids. It's a long story but I shouldn't be put under. My Florida neighbor was into natural health big time, it was part of her religion. I did NOT believe that ANYTHING natural would work. My neighbor told me about the herb Dong Quai, said it would straighten out my harmones without hurting me. I asked the gyno's opinion about it and he said that he didn't believe it would hurt me and to go ahead and give it a try. He said I could always come back to him if it didn't work. Well, it straightened me out right away and I never had another period, no pain, nothing. I do believe now that my prolapse had started at that time but he never said a word about it. My job required heavy lifting on a daily basis. Dong Quai made me see that natural things can work.

My daughter had very painful periods at the time. So much so that she just couldn't work on those days, had even fainted from the pain. My neighbor said that Dong Quai would help her too and sure enough it did. It helped the first month that she took it and she took it for about 3 months after that. She is 40 now and only occasionally does she have a painful period. When she does, she goes back to Dong Quai and takes it for a few days and she is fine.
Little Bit

Doubtful, you and I sound so similar! I too am 47 and my menstrual cycle is usually 25 days, sometimes 23 days, but never longer. It has been like this pretty much since my last baby at age 33 yrs. I have also found the addition of flaxseed, soy, omega3 and red clover tea helpful for many things, but it has not lengthened my cycle. My period is shorter than it used to be but it certainly is different now; starts off with dribs and drabs and then I have one day with really heavy flow. Also much clottier (yuck). I will look into this Dong Quai. I don't want to take hormonal supplements either; from what I have read and learned I have come to believe that attempting to balance hormones from outside is way to complex, the body just keeps adjusting other things in response resulting in different issues.

My periods went all over the place as I slowed down breastfeeding with DS2...one month 21 days, then 35 (brought on by parsley tea)...it was driving me crazy. I actually went to the homeopath, and one treatment brought them back to regularity. Perhaps it could help re this as well?

Hi Doubtful,

Gosh...it’s true that our “dark clouds” can have amazing silver linings if only we’re able to see them.

I, too, bled like crazy in my late forties. My periods came closer and closer together until I bled continuously for one month. My most severe “bleed out” was a drama I’ve written about many times. From that experience I learned the uterus has the ability (and need) to purge itself, and that there are herbs to help with the process. I’m not an herbalist, so cannot speculate what those are. It seems the ovaries start shooting out eggs like popcorn, and the cyclical hormones involved build up and shed the uterine lining at a speeded up rate. Although “dysfunctional uterine bleeding” is a major indication for hysterectomy, it is well-known that peri-menopausal bleeding is almost always benign. I wonder if anyone has ever died from peri-menopausal anemia.

I don’t want to speculate about Nora. Hopefully in time enough women will ask her that question and she will become more willing to promote the Whole Woman work. I will say that post-hysterectomy women cannot sense the WW posture in ways we do - they simply can’t feel the effects in their pelvis - so are less inclined to believe it helps.

Heartfully,

Christine

Well thank you ladies for all the helpful advice, and Christine you were particularly reassuring. My gut feeling is that if I am generally much healthier the way I'm living now, then my hormones sholdn't be 'turning against me' - so maybe they aren't. I do subscribe to the theory that are bodies ( and hormones) are amazing and generally aren't to be feared if we are doing all we can to stay healthy. Perhaps conventional medicine just doesn't accept that what is healthy for a woman changes over time. I think I'll look into Dong Quai, and perhaps give my old homeopath a ring when I'm slightly less post-Christmas broke.

Christine, it was Christianne Northrup I was wondering about, not Nora. I think I might write to her ( tactfully).

Doubtful (I'm really ready to change that user name)