Femoral Artery Self-Massage

Body: 

More about Femoral Artery Self-Massage: I "Googled" it and found, http://rickbernardacupuncture.com/, where he offers info on how and why to do Femoral Artery Self-Massage, to increase blood flow to the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. He says to compress the femoral artery for 30-45 seconds, three times in a row, twice a day. He says this backs up the blood flow [in the femoral arteries] and increases the blood pressure on the iliac arteries, which are the ones supplying blood, therefore oxygen and other nutrients, to ones uterus, fallopian tubes,
and ovaries.

He suggests another self-massage, called "Spiraling." if the abdominal aorta has a very strong pulse. He says a very strong ab aorta pulse indicates tension being held in the lower abdomen, thereby inhibiting proper blood flow to the pelvic organs.

He says a very strong ab aorta pulse is the chief diagnostic sign of Irritable Bowel Syndrome [I developed IBS as a result of a lot of trauma from domestic violence, I believe.] He says it impairs digestion and makes it difficult to breathe very deeply into the abdomen because when ab muscles are held tight, the diaphragm, which lies under the lungs, can't fully drop when inhaling, such that one becomes a "chest breather" who takes shallow breaths, which has many disadvantages.

Perhaps the IBS has also contributed to the POP...?

He says, when feeling around the navel, a strong pulse reveals this this IBS/impaired digestion and shallow breathing conditiion.

"Googling" further, I learn that Chi Nei Tsang Internal Organs Chi Massage may include "Spiraling..."

Maybe these techniques, along with Christine's exercises and suggestions, and DVDs, will help, in my case of severe POP including IBS, and maybe they will help the other WW Villagers, too....

Wise Woman

Dear Wise Woman

The Quigong (also known as Chi Kung, Qigong) component of acupuncture is a well respected method for the development of Chi (energy and strength). It involves mind exercises, breathing, certain forms of massage and posture. One of the Quigong postures is very similar to the Whole Woman Posture (The so called Iron Skirt or Three Circles Chi Kung.)

Two members of my family had amazing results with acupuncture (asthma and dizziness) when western medicine had done all they could.

Acupressure is a version of acupuncture using finger pressure instead of needles.

While western doctors take our pulse, trained acupuncturists take a number of pulses to make their diagnosis.

When considering self-massage of the femoral artery please bear in mind that this artery leads directly to your heart. This is the artery that western medicine uses to introduce stents when they perform angiograms. To have one you are required to sign a release acknowledging that it is a dangerous procedure that can result in the patient's death. The nearness to this artery is also one reason why hip operations are also serious.

I would be very wary of self-massage of this artery because of the distinct possibility of doing damage to the artery wall, dislodging material in the wall of the artery to cause stroke or heart attack. Damage to the arterial wall can cause embolisms (ballooning out of the wall).

In martial arts, practitioners aim death strikes against arteries and vagus nerves.

I believe the femoral artery is best left alone. I think if you speak with a respected acupuncturist or even Mr Yap, you will find they would not consider such self-massage should be lightly taken, and even for a highly trained and experienced acupuncturist to perform such a procedure, it would be done only in strict situations.

Best wishes

Thanks so much for your input. Intuitively, I was feeling very cautious about doing this. Your info informs me further that it is not a good idea.

I think I will stick to The Butterfly exercise, which is much more gentle and does not involve compressing or pressing on a major artery.

I am already at high risk of a heart attack or stroke, due to diabetes, plus, my dad died of a heart attack, so it seems I may have inherited a risk of same from him....

Wise Womn