sitting posture

Body: 

I recently purchased your video on prolapse, watched it, and found it very interesting and informative. However, I work in an office which has me sitting at a desk and I cannot sit in any of the postures you suggested. Help! I've been adjusting my posture when I walk and stand, finding it amazing at how much I have to "unlearn" but I will keep at it. Please give me a little advise on sitting correctly at my desk. Thank you so much!

Hi Mamaleona

Fear not. There is hardly a seat on this earth that I cannot find a way to sit on satisfactorily. You many actually have the only totally useless seat in the universe.

What exactly is this evil seat? Can you describe it for us, complete with the different adjustments that are possible? Or does it have a name with a picture of it on its Brand's website? If not, would it be possible to take a picture of it and send it to Lanny @ wholewoman.com (without the spaces). Lanny is the Technical Expert for the site. I am sure he would be able to put it on the server and post a link to it under this topic. Then we can all critique it.

Quite honestly, the fancier the chair the more difficult it can be to adjust correctly. For my money the best seat is a stool with a uniformly horizontal, padded seat that allows me to sit on it with me feet planted well apart, thighs sloping slightly down, and no back. You know, the sort of seat they put out in the back store room as a door stop.

Looking forward to hearing the details. I'll tell Lanny to keep an eye out for a picture of a chair.

Louise :-)

It's an office chair with arms that can adjust up and down; the seat can also be adjusted up and down, tilted forward or back. For now I sit with my feet about 6-8" apart pointing straight ahead with my legs relaxed. This enables me to sit with a good, comfortable posture without much problem. I'll try to take a picture or get the make/model for you. I appreciate the help.

Does it have a dished seat that is higher at the sides than the middle? They are a pain because you can't sit with your legs apart. I prefer my feet about 500mmm apart for stability.

Does the back raise and lower? Sit without the aid of the back if the back is the wrong shape, or doesn't have room for your butt.

I would be secretly getting out my screwdriver one lunchtime and removing the arms, or else putting them right down, out of the way of my forearms when my shoulders are relaxed. If your arms hit the arms of the chair I think you would be within your rights to remove the arms or ask for a different chair. Otherwise your arms will push your shoulders up and forwards. It would drive me nuts. Your other alternative with this seat, to get the arms out of the way, would be to lower the whole seat and put a big thick cushion on it. The arms would be relatively lower.

A picture is probably not necessary. It just sounds like one of those ergonomic chairs that is designed for a non-existent average person's body.

Louise