apples

Body: 

Hi all, haven't read anything about apples yet, and I have found it to be the single most effective food for menopause symptoms, I am 56, and if I eat at least 2 apples a day, I will not have any hot flushes , if I forget I will have hot flushes, especially at night. Have tried lots of other things, but nothing is as simple, yummy and effective for me. Hope this will benefit someone else also.

By the way, forgot to mention that I got that tip from a book by Jean Carper " Food Your Miracle Medicine", page 383

OK, I will check that out. I wonder why? Maybe there is more to "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" than meets the eye. Apple is an essential ingredient in Bircher muesli too.

Louise

That's so funny. I have always noticed apples do a lot of good for various things ever since i was little and read ben fanklin;s apple a day saying.And a few years ago when a friend was encouraging me while I was losing weight, she said she always found if she ate a fesh apple instead of a meal once in a while, and a glass of water, she lost weight. She said have lots of apples. I did. It worked.

She's certain of apple benefits and lol whenever anything would going wrong, she would say have an apple. lol And if I'd say nothing happened, she'd say, have another. lol And water with lemon. Fixes everything.

And, btw, Im 51, have regular periods and no signs of perimenopause at all.

By coincidence, i have a little raisin bran with a little 1 % milk every morning, with two sliced apples in it.

Didnt know what you mentioned, just thought it tastes good, and is filling, but low calorie.

Hi Hummingbird,
A couple of months ago bad_mirror wrote about a Granny Smith apple helping her if she ate it before bedtime. I tried it and sure enough if I ate it just before going to bed it really helped. I do believe your body gets use to it though after awhile so every now and then I will take an aloe vera capsule just before going to bed too and it always works. I also do oil pulling and that is also said to help constipation. (I wrote about oil pulling a month or so ago.) I have also started making my own kefir, both milk and water, and it also seems to help. My thoughts are that I am trying to heal my digestive tract and I believe I am in a healing process. My rectocele WAS causing me the most problems but now it isn't so I must be headed in the right direction. It is really strange with the rectocele. Some things that are suppose to help constipation, like prunes and psyllium, seem to actually make it worse unless taken in very small amounts. Maybe it is just me that they do that way but other things like apples, aloe vera, oil pulling and kefir seem to really help. Yogurt has a place in my life too and I make a small pint batch every few days using the thermos method. Only instead of putting the yogurt down inside the thermos, I put it in a wide mouth pint jar and set it down inside a wide mouth insulated jug and in 6 hours it comes out and goes in the fridge, perfect everytime and no thermos to clean.
Little Bit

I learned many years ago that the reason apples were good for you was because the sigmoid colon retains the pectin to help insure elimination. Don't have documentation for that after all this time, so it's just FWIW, I guess.

Grandma Joy

Having hot flashes has not been and issue for me despite years of focus on POP. I do eat a lot of apples