surgery?

Body: 

I am so sad. I had my "well woman" check up today and sure enough the nurse practitioner wants to send me to a urologist for my cystocele. I am afraid of surgery and of all of the care issues afterward. She and my husband say to just go talk to him, but he is a surgeon. That is what they do.... cut on people. Why would he want to talk to me if I do not want surgery. So I feel fat and like a slug. But the yoga DVD came in the mail today and maybe some day I can figure out how to work the DVD part of the computer. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. m.

personally, I wouldnt go 'just talk' to the surgeon. I think you're right, he's a surgeon, he does surgery. and most likely will recommend it. If you know you dont want to go that route, it will only put doubts and fears in your head. I can't imagine what good would come from such a meeting.

Thanks, granolamom, I sent you an email. Did you get it? It was a few days ago. I tried to watch the yoga DVD, but it would not work on this computer. Hubby will have to do something to the computer, I guess. So we put it on in the living room and after a few comments from him I figured out I would not enjoy it with him present. So now I have a DVD and no place to watch it. Oh well.... Just knowing it is here is comforting in a way. good night.

Hi Meribelle

You are learning so much about your body here with the aim of making your POPs behave without surgery. I would think it would be appropriate to go to the surgeon if you want to explore surgery.

You are a grown up woman. You are quite capable of deciding whether or not a visit to the surgeon is going to give you answers to questions that you have already asked and received answers to, have asked and have not received answers to, or have not asked yet. Only you have the information to decide whether there is anything to be gained, or whether it will be a waste of your time and effort, which might be better invested in figuring out how to watch the DVD in private.

I am guessing that the encouragement that you are getting to go along and at least talk to the surgeon is from people who know considerably less about POP than you know. Think about this, and ask yourself whether their urging is valid or not.

The practitioner at the Well Woman checkup would probably have been remiss for not sending you the urologist, because that's what her protocols would say to do. That doesn't necessarily mean that she thinks with any sort of authority that it is the best thing to do, or that it is empirically the best thing for you to do.

It is your body. You are not sick. You do have the capacity for making your own decisions.

(Your computer is not as complicated as it looks. You are being fooled into thinking you cannot figure it out. How about getting a young person to show you how to watch a different DVD on your computer, and help you to learn how to do it for yourself without supervision? I often have to fiddle around until I can get our TV and DVD Player to work by pressing the right buttons on the right Remote. I feel stupid about it, but once I figure it out I feel really competent. They are only machines, which have instruction manuals written by aliens. No wonder they are confusing!!)

If you have a DVD drive (Not a CD drive) on your computer you should be able to just put the DVD in, close its little drawer, and it will open the DVD Player software and load the DVD automatically. This may take a minute or two, depending on your computer's capacity. All you should have to do is click the little triangle icon called Play, on the controls of the Player, adjust the volume, or connect the headphones, and sit back and enjoy it. Come back and ask more questions if you need to.

Louise

Hi Meribelle, I'd second you having a good think about what you want, my hubby has often said to me the same thing.. A Surgeon cuts ,thats his job, and thats what he will advise, should you visit one.That was when I was advised to visit a foot surgeon,and had been having awful ankle pain.Now years on I am still dancing , no visit to the surgeon, got POP(at least 2, maybe 3 now) and doing things naturally.It's a matter of finding out what works for you.I initially had a lot of lower abdominal pain when I found this site.Posture has been the main thing that worked for me plus have done some of the DVD and recently the new Yoga one.I just have to go slowly at the moment as I have lower back problems.
I had to put up with some flack from hubby when I first started doing some exercise from the online video. I felt quite cross at the time, and I had to do it when he was not around.,Now 10 months or more later, I have talked his ear off about POP and he daren't say a word now! How do any of us ever understand until it happens to us. How will any man ever understand, I wonder, but I will say my lovely chiro has read Christine's book and said it makes sense, he has a few questions and really he'd like to have a chat with her lol so Im trying to understand more so I can better explain to him. None the less he has recommended the posture for another patient to try. I call that progress.So please don't be pursuaded by family or friends.I have had both try and convince me recently, they just dont understand, and I am a determined person when I beleive in something.All the best, follow your heart and gut,take time out quietly to listen,and think about what feels best for you, all will be well :-) cheers xx

Thanks for the comments, Louise. Hubby has tried to install a DVD drive because this computer does not have one. He was successful in installing it, except there is no sound and he cannot figure out why. Meanwhile, we did get the DVD in another room to work and I have been doing my yoga to the DVD each morning. It is awesome and my POP is much better. Today I found out that I have kidney issues and I am frustrated. Nevertheless, I will be doing my yoga in the morning. love to all, m.