Maca

Body: 

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has used this herb to help with prolapse, menopause or fertility with any success or adverse side effects?

Twitch

I tried a course of it when I developed LS after menopause. It made my condition considerably worse. I think it actually increases luteinizing hormone. I think our moderator Kiki tried it too with similar results...

Really, how long after you stopped using it did things go back to your pre-use norm? I have heard so many great things about it, I am tempted to try it. Please do post anyone if you have anything to share- positive or negative.

Thank you Christine.
Twitch

Isn't that weird? today, I met an acquaintance from way back who has endometriosis. She has now stopped menstruating as a result of menopause, but said, if anything her endometriosis is worse, which I can only put down to her having stopped bleeding, but still having hormonal cycling at a lower level. However, she also said she had been using maca root for menopause symptoms. She is the first woman I know who has used it. I wonder if the maca root is the cause of the worsening of her endometriosis, even if it is helping the menopause symptoms? I gave her the URL of Wholewoman. She may even turn up online and tell us.

Louise

I didn't suffer long term effects, but was struggling before and after the maca. The maca simply increased my symptoms. Perhaps it helps with hot flashes, which I never had - not even one.

Hi Twitch I have tried Maca when I was going through menopause, can't say I noticed any difference.But then I was not so tuned in.I was having heavy flushes day and night but dryness was my worse problem..the discomfort with it.Cope now with my making bliss balm and inserting. . I'd still like to know why some of us have this problem and others don't....any ideas anyone...btw I was interested to read how Maca has affected others.
I didn't have anyone round me with the same problems, just searched google and wherever I could find info and then found here, to my relief!
I tried several supplement combo's over a few years, nothing helped the dryness. I feel the flushes just fade out naturally with time.Get the odd one when Im run down or stressed.

Hi Kiwigirl

I think red clover tea is doing good things for the surface parts of me all over, vagina and vulva included. My whole skin feels and looks better, and dermatitis has gone. I also admit that fish oil 1000mg a day finally put the lid on the dermatitis. May have had a vaginal effect too. Not sure.

L

Thanks Louise, I bought red clover flower tea, and only had a few cups of it.So maybe I better perservere with that, and eventually see about adding it to my bliss balm as well.Re; the fish oil,the fishy products make my body weak, my chiro has said.I was brought up on it as a health thing at school and home on and off.Same reason I don't take Glucosamine.I'll check with the chiro on my next visit in Sept.They do kiniesiology, I think thats how they can tell.They were able to tell me my asthma preventative wasn't doing me any good, but that my ventolin was fine (brochiodilator).Been about 10 years off most meds.So I don't think were wrong, as Ive kept much better health overall, in that time.Not this year , but that's more related to accumulated stressful period I have been through. Started reflexology sessions last week, feel way more energetic!

I remember reading about an island off of Japan where the local dialect did not even have a word for menopause, it was such non-issue to the women who lived there. Researchers looked for a difference between this and Western culture (where menopause is a billion dollar issue). Their most significant findings showed that the island women did much more daily activity and that their diets consisted of brown rice, sea vegetables, and about three times the consumption of oily fish than that of their Western counterparts. Interesting.