Barbie :)

Body: 

Hi All,

It seems like ages since I’ve been on the forums and will catch up...tomorrow. Tonight I’m resting after a marathon “Grandma moment.” It is one of my little granddaughter’s 4th birthday on Sunday and we just shipped her present this afternoon. Wanted to share my Barbie extravaganza with you - lol!

It all started when I saw a collection of International Barbie dolls in a local antique/junk store. I never knew Mattel did a line of international dolls, but thought these were actually quite lovely (for Barbie!) They must be from the eighties or so (?) and had never been removed from their original boxes. So I bought two and then the fun began...

I got on eBay and found a wooden doll box I thought would be just right for what I had in mind. The next item needed was a Barbie-size table and chairs - and I was lucky to find this set hand-made out of beautiful wood. I desperately needed a tea set to go along and found this adorable antique one from Holland for $5.00 - in its original box! I love eBay!

Then I started sewing and didn’t stop until it was time to cart everything off to UPS late this afternoon. I made jeans (with embroidered back pockets), t-shirts, wool sweaters, undies, head scarves, flannel nighties, a black turtleneck, a party dress and a kilt! My dh made wire coat hangers and I was able to find tiny wooden clothespins. The little stuffed deer seemed to fit right in with the scene.

I am exhausted! I wanted the clothes to be super durable and functional, so everything is sewn with snaps and not velcro. The proportions of these dolls are different than current Barbie (which caused all the outcry a couple of decades ago), so I had to alter all the patterns. It took me 5 tries to get the jeans to fit just right!

I promise to get back to work tomorrow! I did break away from my sewing machine long enough to conduct more excellent interviews for the upcoming WWY2 dvd. Our teacher training classes begin in a couple of weeks - lots to do, lots to do. I have also decided I’m going to take up the Uillean pipes (not kidding).

Lots of love,

Christine

Ohhh Christine, I just loved seeing the barbies and their lovely outfits and wardrobe and hangers, gorgeous table and chairs and darling Dutch teaset. What a labour of love! Your grand daughter will love it, and ohh to see her face when she opens it all.I'm sure daddy will be videoing it for you to see :-)
Thanks for sharing this with us.xx

I used to sew clothes for my 1960's Barbie, with her pert short Do that never had a hair out of place. This was all pre-Velcro. The good part was that I could make a whole garment out of a very small scrap of fabric. I wonder where she is now? Probably in landfill. :-(

gorgeous, christine! what a lot of work, though! no wonder you are exhausted. how do you manage sewing those tiny seams? did you handsew it all? I'm in awe...

(and I love the tiny hangers!)

Thanks, gals. Everything was done on the machine until my Bernina gave up the ghost with one pair of underwear to go (I couldn't send two dolls and one pair of undies!) So I had to sew the last pair by hand, which wasn't a huge deal. Yes, it is micro work and takes a great deal of patience. I actually had more pieces planned - white, ruffled blouse, brown corduroy pants, etc. etc. but only had so much time. The birthday girl has a little sister, so that's why I sent two dolls and tea for two. DH is still a little grumbly today...he's the one who took the BIG (well-cushioned and wrapped) box to UPS and had to pay the shipping bill. :)

your skills/patience are amazing!
I hate sewing details like that. diapers are fun, pj's are fun, heck I'll even sew up an apron or a swimsuit. but anything that requires more attention than that, no thanks!
I hope the birthday girl appreciates all your work (or at least all the love that went into it)!
lol at grumbly dh! my dh gets that way too when I send him on my gift-shipping errands. but then he lightens up when he realizes that I'm done with my project and back to 'normal'.