Effects of perimenopause and menopause

Body: 

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Menopause Forum, or the Emotional Issues Forum, but it really concerns all women, because we will all go through it one day, or have survived these sometimes difficult years.

Here is a great article that I was referred to by another site. http://www.therapytoday.net/article/15/62/categories/ . I think it is worthwhile reading for all women of all ages, and their partners. So much of it is not spoken about.

Here is a bit about the author. "Sue Brayne is a psychotherapist and writer who enjoys tackling taboos about sex, aging and death. Sue originally trained as a nurse, and has an MA in the Rhetoric and Rituals of Death. Her book, The D-Word: Talking about Dying was published in 2010, and she was interviewed recently on BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour about it. Sex, Meaning and the Menopause featured in the Femail section of the Daily Mail in the article, ‘Will your marriage survive the menopause?’ Sue blogs regularly about issues to do with menopause, death and dying, and the aging process."

While doctors continue to treat hot flushes and treat women with sore vaginas, and say, "You have experienced menopause when you have stopped menstruating for 12 months", the world will never realise that there is a lot more to it than that.

Louise

I gotta find me that book!!!!

Le't's debunk some more myths!

louiseds, thanks for referring us to the Sue Brayne article. Very helpful. It's about time the issue is brought out into the open in a thoughtful, serious manner. --keh

Thanks Louise, very interesting article. How nice to have someone talk about the menopause seriously and in detail, it's usually never disussed or is treated as a joke. I'll pass the info on to my menopausal friends - and they all seem to be. For me, all the symptoms have been quite managable, (as long as I have access to a fan when needed), except that my brain is definitely not as sharp as it was, I take longer to learn new things and need lists!! No-one tells you you'll go a bit doolally. However, I'm looking forward to becoming wise.
Tintagel