Swelling of whomb and cervix

Body: 

I am 54 years of age and have a 2nd degree uterine prolapse i havnt had a period for 12 months but recently started to get all the symptoms of starting a period like sore breasts headache and pelvic pain but the most noticiable is the swelling of the cervix. However all my symptoms went away and the cervix has shrunk all without a period anyone heard if phantom periods are real or anyone know why this would happen sounds like my hormones are all mixed up.

Hi,
I was interested in your posting and quickly googled "phantom periods."
Here's the site I found:

Daphne

Yes, I had a few of these right towards the end of perimenopause. They can be quite unnerving. If you think of menopause as the day 12 months after the last menstrual period, the last hurrah, which is the medical definition of menopause, these phantom periods make little sense. However if you think of menopause as a constinuum or transition from fertile to post-fertile that may take twenty years from start to finish, phantom periods are just a part of the scene.

I would find that my body was trying very hard to ovulate, then eventually only trying very hard to bleed, but eventually it was able to do neither. They were roller coaster times, with weird things happening during what was obviously my very patchy cycle. I would get occasional menstrrual symptoms that were more severe than they had ever been during my reproductive life. These ranged from irritable days around ovulation and a week before my period, uterine cramps a couple of days before a period that were bad enough to have me struggling to drive, then walk into the pharmacy for some pain relief. These were like first stage labour contractions, but they didn't ease off after a minute - just went on and on! Pretty worrying and hard to handle (only twice thank goodness, but it was obvious what was happening). It must have looked strange to see a 55 year old woman hunched over the pharmacy counter, breathing through pursed lips like she was in labour. ;-) Then there were the periods that never bled, and the ones that felt like a dam wall had busted. Weird.

I can laugh about it all now, but it was very strange at the time. I felt possessed sometimes. It would be glib to say it was normal, but I think it probably is. It is easy to see how women having perimenopause difficulties beg their often willing gyn to just take it all out. Let's face it. Gyns don't like seeing women suffering any more than we like doing it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will pass. When this phantom stuff happens you are right at the end of menstruation, I hope. I have read in several places that it can take until you are over seventy for luteinising hormone and follicle stimulating hormone levels to decrease to the point where they are no longer cyclical. When I think about it, post-menopause has been very peaceful in comparison to the storm that I was in prior to menstruation ceasing. I no longer have symptoms that cause me major bother. I do drink red clover tea daily.

Louise