WW Running

Body: 

Hi WW Runners,
Question for you: Are you able to completely maintain the WW posture while you run? The first time I ran after my prolapse discovery 2 1/2 months ago, I was still working on learning the WW posture and felt so chest-forward that I was afraid I might fall flat on my face...but I eventually got used to it. I just finished a 1 1/2-mile slow run and, now that I have a better handle on the "pulling-up" part of the posture and realize its importance, noticed I wasn't able to do that part of it while I was running. I know I experienced some slippage by the time I was finished. What is your experience?? Thanks. --keh

Just found out I have cystocele-Doctor (may be ex doctor soon) says surgery is only option. Found this site--thank you!--and just ordered the video, book and wooden things. As I wait for them to come, any advise on sitting? If I sit too long or stand too long I have discomfort. Feeling kind of blue too, but I think this site will help. Thanks everyone!

Welcome Reborn, you found this site in time! For starters, recommend you lose the doctor! Start working on the "posture" - feet forward, belly relaxed, lower spine curved naturally, chest pulled up. Just the opposite of what we're taught throughout life (i.e, "pull in abs, tuck in butt"). Works in a sitting position too. When sitting, try to maintain a 90-degree angle of the body, or less - helps hold the prolapsed organs in position. Practice breathing by expanding your belly, not your upper chest. Lots more to do. You will love this forum, the whole site, and all the goodies you ordered. Everyone here has worked through the shock and sadness of our discoveries, you will as well. This is just a quick post - good luck to you.

Hi Keh,

Learn to run in WW posture. It's all about lifting your chest while keeping your shoulders down and pulling up through the back of your neck. Forget about the lumbar curve (it will expand on its own) and run with feet pointing straight ahead. The long strides of running in WW posture optimize lifting of the bladder and uterus toward the front. We have several runners, including myself (I am nowhere near a "runner" now, but I certainly experience this phenomenon every time I run) who have validated this truth, which involves the obturators, adductors and levator ani lifting the organs toward the abdominal wall and away from the pelvic outlet at the back of the body.

Many women who are new at WW posture experience a worsening of symptoms with exercise that stresses the system under gravity. The reason is because their visco-elastic (muscles, ligaments and bones) pelvic organ support system is not quite aligned yet, so forces are moving the organs back instead of pinning them into position at the front.

You must start slowly, believe that your musculoskeletal system is designed to optimize pelvic organ support while running, and eventually everything will be aligned so you are moving your bladder/uterus into the hollow of your lower belly with every heel strike.

Good luck!

Christine

...Surviving has given you good advice. Here is another version of the short of it...sit on a firm surface using the strength of your own spine (not a chair back). Sit with your feet on the ground and your knees comfortably apart and in line with your feet. Relax your lower belly. Pull your chest up while keeping your shoulders pulled down (we have to describe the posture in terms of pushing and pulling at first, but it becomes effortless over time). Pull up throughout the back of your neck and head (this results in the chin being pulled down and in).

Pull yourself into this posture several times a day for as long as feels comfortable. We are in WW posture all the time standing and as much of the time sitting as is practical and comfortable. Make sure you allow yourself as much quality rest as you need.

I am "running" at the moment too...to pick up my granddaughter and take her to her dance class.

Welcome and keep moving!

Christine

Christine, thanks. I always appreciate your good advice. I thought I was pulling my chest up, but nothing seemed to follow. Maybe I was actually pushing my chest out. Clearly I still have work to do--but I definitely will go slowly. And let me add, you responded so kindly to my recent inquiry about painful sex, and I appreciate your sharing your own experience. Your willingness to be open is inspiring. --keh

Started up again after a long break. Let me tell you that by the end of the run I think I was running in the fetal position! But I didn't stop and I know it will get better. Form for me is in the neck, head, shoulders and arms. If you want to test how your form is doing, simply lift your arms above your head when you are running. This will pull you right up.
I can't wait to put some miles under my feet.

...so amazing!!! You will be great, Keh, and on your way just like Alemama, Granolamom, BadMirror and so many others.

I finally made it to my free Irish step dancing class (the first one is free - lol). I was the only 59 year-old in a "beginning" class of 6 to 8 year-old Arabian ponies. HAHAHAHA!! The teacher - a beautiful man - hardly flinched and gave me quality instruction as the little ones galloped around the room on their toes.

I loved it.

I was well into adulthood before I first saw Irish step dancing. My jaw dropped and I screamed to the Heavens *why* was I born into the wrong time-culture-family? *Never* did I consider trying to attempt something so demanding as an older person.

I have no explanation why I suddenly decided "Of course" I am going to take lessons. Maybe it's the 'menopausal zest' of common lore. Really, I think getting closer to the end forces us to decide what we really love and gives an extra push to "just do it".

Most of all...I am inspired by beautiful WWomen everywhere - having babies by the dozen, running marathons, taking up guitar, and growing in countless ways. Hey...if I'm able to learn a real jig I'll post it in the Village.

SO much love,

Christine