Red clover tea

Body: 

At age 54 and several months of no menstruation, my night sweats led me to prepare and drink two pots (~3 cups of tea per pot) red clover tea daily and it worked within 2 weeks. Interestingly, when I have missed a day or two of tea, I have started to spot. My health food store has changed red clover suppliers and now carries only red clover blossoms--without any leaf matter--and the hot flashes are back. Is there less estrogen in just the blossoms, or could changing hormonal levels be causing the return of the hot flashes?

Hi No-Drip,

So good to hear of your positive results! Red clover and alfalfa were the major phytoestrogens of the West and consumed by women for thousands of years.

Yes, Louise has researched this and it is true that blossoms have less phytoestrogen content than leaves. A good mixture has more green with red/pink/purple specks throughout.

You might look into a good red clover tincture as well.

Chrsitine

Thanks, Christine, I'll be more selective about the content and look for the red clover tincture as well. If I'm unable to drink the full amount of tea in the morning, I have it cold in my water bottle throughout the day--lovely flavour.

Hi Nodrip. Yes, I have researched it from a livestock perspective, but the research is very old now. The research comes from the 1960's when Western Australian sheep were grazing clover rich annual pastures and were suffering infertility as a result. The researchers found that the phytooestrogens were at the highest level just as the plants flowered, so they could put ewes on the pastures after they dried off, or late in flowering with no ill effects. Wethers could graze it all year.

However, a lot of effort, since then, has been put into breeding clovers with low phytooestrogen levels. Sigh. The old varieties that they researched way back then are no longer available because nobody wants them. The old varieties came from the mediterranean and middle east. I haven't been able to find out any modern high phytooestrogen varieties. Hopefully they still exist in their original locations and are being grown now to give people good health, instead of making sheep sterile.

I would find out from the health food store who the old supplier was, and buy it from a different source. If you tell them it is not nearly as good, and that you will be buying it elsewhere in future they might see sense in going back to their old supplier. My guess is that the new batch was cheaper. Guess why!

Being a plant you might find that this lot was harvested later. For some reason herbs that have flowers in them are more attractive as products. They certainly smell nice, but in this case the flowers are a waste of effort.

Louise

I've been away so only caught up with your response today. Thanks so much for doing the legwork on the topic. Can you please explain why phytoestrogens are safer than HRT...is it because the latter are synthetic-derived chemicals vs. natural? Also, do you know of any correlation between high red clover tea consumption in menopause to breast cancers? Thanks.

HRT is by definition hormone replacement therapy, designed to put back the oestrogen that is missing. Phytoeostrogens are different chemically from manufactured oestrogens. My scant understanding is that phytoestrogens are very weak oestrogens but that they still occupy the beta - oestrogen receptors that are all over our bodies. They prevent the inflammatory byproducts of oestrogen metabolism from clinging onto them and being taken up by the body again, by 'occupying the parking space'. These inflammatory substances have no choice but to be excreted in the urine. So it is a re-uptake inhibitor rather than a topping up.

There is a paper written by Christine in The Village Library about a Natural Treatment for Lichen Sclerosus, where all this oestrogen metabolism is explained.