Sitting in hairdressers chairs in an obtuse position

Body: 

This might sound trivial but i am concerned about going to the hairdresser this week. i haven't been all winter since discovering pop.
My issue is with the backs of the chairs as i didn't take notice in the past if they were leaning back or straight up, and if i sit up without using the chairs back support will it make it awkward for the person doing my hair?
Should i take a pillow with me? How will i go at the shampooing sink where you have to lean back in a obtuse angle... this concerns me. Does anyone know if this position will cause a setback to my pop? I have had a lot of improvement so far and i don't want to put my good work in jeopardy. Any comments will be most welcome.

1 Ask to sit on a stool like the little kids.

2 Take a lumbar support if you are really worried about leaning back for a shampoo.

3 Just ask to lie back as far as you can and enjoy the experience.

3 Ask if you can stand up, or sit, and lean over the sink, rather than lying back for the shampoo. That's what my Mum used to do at her Aged Care Home.

4 For half an hour it is not going to make much difference in the longrun for your POPs. If you are tense, and zip and tuck, it will be worse than if you just relax.

Chill.

Louise :-)

Like Louise says in number four . . . After it's done, just pull up into posture and walk tall and confident with your new 'do!

Hi again, Mishek

This is just an old soldier with an independent streak, who has had to spend a lot of her life figurin' out how do do stuff without hurting my body.

I look at situations like this, new situations to get through without compromising all that hard WW work, as good case studies, that can sharpen your ingenuity and your ability to think creatively.

First you have to look at the worst case scenario, which is probably walking out of the salon with new hair, and a body like you had six months ago. Hair's good, but the body is a disappointment. Fear not. You now know this work, and have experienced the improvements from getting it just right. In a way, temporary setbacks are useful. They challenge us emotionally and physically, and mentally too.

1 Will I be able to recover? (Yes, I have improved before)
2 Will I get back to where I was? (Yes, and in time it will be better again).
3 What if I go back to how I was at the beginning? (See question 1)
4 Was I on death's door when I started? (No, I will survive this too)
5 After surviving a couple of temporary setbacks, am as scared as I was the first time (Probably not)
6 What do I do next? (Posture, diet, exercise, clothing, use your body differently.*And* figure out how I could handle the next hairdresser visit better prepared)

Of course, it probably won't end up as the worst case scenario, in which case you can walk out proudly and have a good laugh at yourself for doubting your body's capabilities.

The more temporary setbacks we have the more opportunities we have to challenge the fear that paralyses us.

Just remember that it is only a hairdresser's chair, not the Chair of Final Judgement.

Enjoy! And live to visit the hairdresser again!

Louise

Great advice - thankyou Louise and bad_mirror. I think i'll take my square cusion which i use in the car with me and wash my hair at home before i leave as i'm only having a cut this time. I certainly will pull up as i walk out and thanks for your always helpful comments:)

I have lower back problems and after doing the WW posture for some time I started to find it very hard to lie back at the washing sink at my hairdressers. I use to wash my hair at home and get a wetcut .Now its longer I go for a condition and trim.Its really lovely and she's very intuitive.Anyway she started to do the condition & massage, with me lying back at the sink as it was easier on her. So that was a tricky situation I put up with several times as I felt that to save myself I was causing detriment to my hairdresser.I started taking my own cushion and was wriggling around with discomfort and she aksed- would I be better in the chair? and I said yes.So there we are, it got sorted in the end :-)

Hi kiwigirl and thanks for commenting. I have a lovely hairdresser as well...been with her for 8 years. I don't think i would mention my pop to her though as i'm sure she would never have heard of it (has never given birth) so if i have any problems i'll probably just mention a back problem. When you laid back on the chair did it cause you to have pop symptoms afterwards? or did your existing symptoms get worse? and did you end up having your conditioning and massage sitting upright in the chair with your pillow behind you?
Do you remember if the backs of the chairs were upright or leaning back a littlle. Did you tell her you have pop?
Sorry for all these Q lol, but it will help me a lot. I'm glad you got your issues sorted. Love Mishek:-)

Hi Mishek, I'll tell what I can remember, and can come back after Ive been to the hairdressers this friday :-)
Firstly I can't remember the shape of the lying back chair, I do know I arched my back, which was not comfy but it helped, and I think my existing pop was a little more out for awhile.But now that Im having my hair treatment in a chair at the table ,she gives me a cushion. I use to take my own.
If I go elsewhere and the seating is not supportive I use whatever is available to use as a cushion.And put it wherever it feels best. eg rolled up coat, or piece of clothing. On our motorbike one time I had to roll up my wet weather jacket and shuffled around to sit on it at the right spot to alleviate terrible discomfort I was in.That's another story that I put in couple of previous posts from early April this year. I have told her of my pop, but not straight away. We can talk about heaps of things.Mind you she's probably forgotten anything I said about it lol. I don;t think others are interested unless it affects them.

Yeah that's true if it doesn't affect them, they're not interested and the same goes for us. Your comment about arching your back on the lying back chair was interesting as you say it helped. Do you mean arching your back helps with pop? Sorry not sure what you mean:-) I will be going next week. My hairdresser has one of those full lenght lounge type chairs (not sure what they're called) but it supports the whole body from head to toe just like when lying in bed so i would think that there shouldn't be any damage done if gravity is not at play... i don't know, all i can do is try it out and see how i go.
I will have a look at your early April posts. Thanks again Kiwigirl :-)

If I was a hairdresser on my feet all day a-tuggin and a-pullin at people's hair, I wouldn't mind if someone were to tell me the correct way to stand and breathe so that all those years of standing incorrectly don't eventually
take their toll.

Hi Mishek, isn't it funny how we all end up dealing with the same issues. I had a haircutting appointment about three weeks after my prolapse occurred and I was very new at practicing the WW posture. I had the same concerns. After the haircut I could feel some sagging. Now I have been practicing the posture for over three months. Today I had a dental appointment. Same issue: no control over the obtuse angle. But I came out with no discernible sag. It seems as though the longer I've experienced the posture and the better I've gotten at maintaining it, the less affected I am by short periods of not being able to be in the posture. Maybe you will find it to be the same. Hoping that for you. --keh

I know chickaboom, it's just that i get so tired of talking about pop and i just want to relax when i'm getting my hair done. It takes a lot of explaining to someone who has never heard of it, but yes i do agree with you...we must spread the word:-)

I'm so glad you bought this up Keh as i was thinking the same thing. I have been concerned about my next dental appt as you say (same issue as hairdresser) and i also thought like you ''The longer we have been doing the posture, the less it will affect us for the short time that we are not in posture'' and that's another reason i have been putting off the haircut for as long as possible to give myself time to heal and to spend more time in posture. I'm feeling so much more confident now that i have shared this issue with you all and your comments have helped me a lot. just goes to show how a problem shared is a problem halved Thankyou Keh :-)

I just spent two days getting certified in advanced cardiac life support. If we want to talk about obtuse angles -- try doing chest compressions over a bed! I did these for hours and hours and am just fine. Fine! I used a sea sponge and pulled into posture at every opportunity. I don't want to minimize anyone's fears, but really, when you let POP stop you from living, it *wins*. You be the boss here, do what you have to do to support your POP -- wear a tampon, extra nauli, etc -- and then enjoy living! Don't let fear keep you from beauty, healthy teeth, or anything else. You will get back to your baseline so soon.

Thank you bad_mirror, for this inspiration. I had some concerns about these posts from women who were afraid to spend a few minutes in a dentist's or hairdresser's chair. I know my POP isn't as bad as some, but it certainly does have its ups and downs. At times it's at its worst and I can't even attribute this to anything I did or didn't do (and the opposite happens too). Like you say - pull up into posture every chance you get, step up the firebreathing or yoga or whatever else you do to maintain, and get on with life. Congrats on your achievement!!

Hi Surviving60. I also appreciate bad_mirror's inspiration. No need to be concerned about those of us who have to think through the activities involved in living and the angles those activities put us in. For me it isn't fear about a few minutes in an obtuse angle; it is simply a realization that these issues need to be processed. I believe that, especially in the very beginning of dealing with prolapse, every activity has to be evaluated. Louise mentioned that she has spent a number of years now thinking through different ways of doing what has to be done. I do know that the longer I practice the WW posture, the easier it is to recover from short periods of not being in the posture. I totally agree with you--prolapse has its ups and downs. I think my downs absolutely relate to constipation and having a full prolapsed rectum. So far, my comfort and success all depend on staying in WW posture as much as possible and making sure I keep things moving through the system (I envy Alemama's "fast gut motility"). Best wishes to you. --keh

I'm sorry keh, if you think I was being insensitive. There are many things that life throws at us all day long, that we make adjustments for if we can. If we can't, we simply get through them and move on. I have a long salon visit every 4 weeks for roots and a trim. I look forward to getting off my feet and having a little guilt-free pampering. I prefer not to get anxious over whether or not this will set my prolapse back. LOTS of things do that, some are avoidable and some aren't. I refuse to let POP rule every aspect of my life. Mine goes in and out on me all the time. If it isn't at its best while I'm sitting in the salon chair, it will be better later after I've been back in posture. I have reread all these posts, and the message is pretty much the same.

Well friends here is my version...like you all say , in one way or another our pop goes up and down like a yoyo, and mine is going through rough patch at mo.But to cut a long story short, the hairdressers "seats" were not comfy today, but they were the last visit, when my Pop was feeling good.
So today I moved around in my chair when I needed to , and arched my back, perhaps my chiro would not like that, but for a short while it helped me cope. By that Mishek, I mean I sort of throw my lower abdomen forward.( I had on a loose summer dress that did not show this).
Im not sure if, because I have hyperflexible hips ,this looks more pronounced than in someone else doing that, or not.Funnily enough despite the hyperflexible hips, I still need to stretch my hip flexors more, very stiff in other ways.The yoga seems to be helping that but also other bits niggle .So another friend here has advised me to massage teh area gently, which I will start doing.
So my summary is as many say, don't worry about a short time in the hiardresser or dentists chair.I'd told myself awhile ago that if everytime I go it's uncomfortable and I dont find a resolution to this, then I will change and go somewhere else.It is almost as soon as I said that to myself that the next visit was perfect!
Simple as that. Hope this helps :-) plus relaxing and letting go of the worry, is way more helpful to oneself. With Love Kiwigirl.

Oh Kiwigirl you are such a treasure... thankyou so much for updating after your visit. It is so nice to have others to chat to even though some issues are not major, it's just nice to have a little chin-wag about our experiences and concerns. Ok so not to worry about being out of posture for a short time...can't hurt...i gecha!!
Love to you Mishek.