bad patch

Body: 

Hi whole women,

I don't post often these days but I do look in now and then.

I'm just wondering whether long standing members who've been through the perimenopause and menopause since learning about managing prolapse our way could relate to a pretty bad patch I've been going through for a few months.

I'm forty seven now and my sisters/mother had the menopause between forty seven and fifty four, so I don't have a very clear cut date in my mind. Just these last three months or so my prolapse symptoms and my health/ emotions generally have been pretty chaotic - not bad or worse overall- but unpredictable. My pop used to follow a regular hormonal pattern and now its up and down in a seemingly random pattern from day to day and even within the day. So are my moods, and aches and pains.

I'm doing nearly all the whole woman things that have given me such stability over the last year and a half just the same as usual. It's a very difficult phase in my family's life at the moment so I'm much more tired and stressed that usual ( but not doing silly things physically).

Perhaps I've lapsed from my anti-inflammatory diet a little more than usual, and not taken all the long walks I was doing because there are times in everyone's life where it's simply not possible to focus obsessively on one's own health and well being.

Did anyone else experience this physical, hormonal and emotional 'chaos' in the run up to the menopause and did the pop symptoms settle down or get worse when their periods finally stopped? Do you think emotional strain can have a disruptive pattern on female hormones at this age?

I don't want to wish away any stage of my life: my children at this age, interesting work, wonderful parents still alive and relative good health, but if this is full on peri-menopause then bring on the real thing, unless it's likely to feel like an extreme version of this.

Sorry to sound pathetic - I do usually feel very upbeat when I post here.

DOubtful

Hormone imbalance, at our age, is not limited to estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. You could have a disruption of the production of necessary hormones and neural chemicals responsible for feelings of well-being. You could be vitamin deficient. Some research and the support of your local health food store could be helpful. Christine stresses an anti-inflammatory diet to help fight the aches, pains, and diseases of aging. Never stop asking questions. The answers are here.

Melly

hi doubtful
I dont have any experience with this stage yet, I'm a bit behind you.
but I do believe that stress can be disruptive at any and every stage.
I hope things quiet down for you soon
(((HUGS)))

"Did anyone else experience this physical, hormonal and emotional 'chaos' in the run up to the menopause and did the pop symptoms settle down or get worse when their periods finally stopped? Do you think emotional strain can have a disruptive pattern on female hormones at this age?"

Louise has talked about this very honestly (Louise, did I ever thank you for that? Your insight about this has helped me so much with my relationships with women at this stage of life and as an added bonus I will carry your wisdom with me and apply it in another 20 years or so :)). The crazy time before menopause. The foggy thinking, the emotional stuff. All of it.

I know what you mean about not wanting to wish away any stage- but man! when you are in it sometimes it's cathartic to wish it away ;) I tell my husband that one day we are totally going to romanticize this part of our lives- we'll retell it and forget all about the endless laundry, temper tantrums (mine that is), dishes, how long it takes to get out the door and all the other little insecurities. For now, I just try to laugh at myself when it all starts to overwhelm me.

and! You start taking care of you! focus on your health and well being- no one else is going to.

Hi Doubtful, I just did a big reply to you and lost it! I have been away for a few days so bit tired. I'll try to do a shorter post now.Im Louise's age now and post meno.
Yes, I found 47- before and after- to be up and down, unpredictable in all ways, and also had added family stress plus moving countries.I tried all sorts of herbal remedies and creams. Had the start of dryness around 48 and tried a vaginal moisturiser from the health shop.Whether that or hormones helped Im not sure.But the problem righted itself for a 2-3 years.
I did take Neways Wild Yam cream for a few years and thought that helped my sanity :-). Also lost 12 kgs at 51.I think, not absolutely sure, that I had my last period at 53-54.By then my prolapse, not diagnosed "as much" by my doctor, was becoming a problem.I was at my wits end when I found WW site and the posture has helped heaps. Then bought Book,dvd and Bliss Balm and then made my version when it became unavailable.I use that daily to moisturise internally, couldn't be without it!
Exercise has been my mood lifter overall.Went to a gym a few years, then walked for 18 months, but mainly dance.Best to do what one loves whatever that may be ;-)
So thats a definite YES to many hormonal ups and downs.And that applies to my weight and figure shape which I felt changed a lot.
On the plus side Ive learnt a lot too and feel more comfortable with myself and my body, not so worried about what anyone else thinks of me.Live with the ups and downs of pop,keep optimistic most of the time :-)
I hope this is some help to you, ask anything else if you need.All the best.xx

Hi Doubtful

I would say there is no doubt at all that you are accurate in all your observations. Chaotic is a word I would use about that time between discovering that things are not as they used to be, and that menopause is on its way, eventually.

This getting out of patterns, and things that used to happen predictably, being no longer being so, is a common story.

Yes, stress is an extra factor on top of it all.

All I can say is that my prolapses are better now than they were when I turned up here about seven years ago. I experienced menopause about three years ago. I still have prolapses, and I still occasionally have symptoms but I now know what to do about them, so they don't affect my life. I have personally proved that menopause does not in itself worsen prolapse.

You will get through this. One of the nice things about periods stopping, and ovaries quieting is that there is more hormonal calmness. The chaos seem to become less. I regard perimenopause as labour, the last few months as chaotic transition (when all the rules go out the window, and you don't think you can take it any more) and menopause as second stage, the birth, which is almost inevitably easier than the earlier stages.

Hang in there Doubtful. Find a good practitioner to help you through the chaos, be gentle on your self, and maybe redirect your energy in ways that are positive, for now.

You will be a different women when you finally come through it, in body, mind and spirit.

Call back.

Louise