red clover tea and urge to urinate

Body: 

Hi All

I drink red clover tea in the mornings. I think I am observing that red clover tea is a bladder irritant, kind of like coffee. ie it makes me want to wee several times after I have drunk it. This doesn't bother me a great deal, because it only happens in the mornings. I am OK in the afternoons and at night, but if I didn't realise what was happening it could be quite puzzling and distressing.

It also makes my wee go pale green, which is a bit of a giggle.

Louise

Hi Louise,

It sounds like your bladder is becoming more sensitive. It's not my experience that red clover is irritating. I have begun replacing my afternoon green and red clover tea with dandelion root tea and have seen a sudden and significant shift in my vulva symptoms. I always knew green tea had a lot to do with what was going on with me, but refused to give it up. Caffeine and its associated stimulants (I think the active ingredient in tea is theophylline) are the toughest addictions! Artificial stimulants stress the kidneys and I imagine over time could do a lot of damage.

If you are noticing a change in your usual function, it might be worth experimenting a bit - even drinking warm water in the mornings to give a clearer picture of what might be going on.

Hugs!

Christine

Yes Christine, I will do a Proper Scientific Trial over this, and report back. I was really just wanting to put it out there and see if anyone else had experienced it.

I will add that yesterday when I noticed wanting to urinate frequently I had a particularly wet breakfast, followed up with two mugs of red clover tea. Then I went out to the garage and pulled the back bumper off my car, which involved all sorts of gymnastics, mainly lying under the car and pushing and shoving little muddy plastic clips, and trying to get them to surrender to my pliers. There was a fair bit of intraabdominal pressure and bad words flying around! I then stood on the appropriate bits of bumper in the correct fashion on the nice squishy lawn, and I now have a dent free bumper again. Putting it back on was not quite so hard. Then it looked crappy because the car was so filthy, so I washed the car as well.

So, yesterday was a bit of a day. My bladder is fine again today. No sensitivity, no POPs, no urgency.

I have been days without tea or coffee, just red clover and water mainly. Just filtering a coffee right now. Yum. It will be nicer for not having one every day.

Louise

I drink this mixed with nettle tea. It's not yummy but I feel it is very balancing...

Yep, it was the panel beating that did it. I just had a temporary setback. I was fine the following day with my normal amount of red clover tea.

The red clover tea is off the hook.

Louise

don't ask me why I drank 6 cups of red clover tea yesterday, except, that I made a nice English tea pot full of it. I was drinking it room temperature, it was a hot day and it tasted good. (with lemon and ginger). Couldn't stop peeing. WOW! I figured it out. TOO MUCH red clover tea!

I think one cup is OK. I like other teas too, so I will be OK.

I think that if I drank 6 cups of anything, I'd be peeing! But yeah, no need to overdo it. - Surviving