Water and UTI'S

Body: 

Just an FYI - I heard of two women in two different states recently who kept having UTI's and finally figured out it was their water. They switched to both bottled and/or filtered water and their infections went away. They, as do I, get a notice every 3 months from the water company telling us how bad the water is and that the elderly, babies and immune suppressed should not drink it.

I have only had one UTI in my lifetime and that was last year when traveling. I have filtered my drinking and cooking water at home for the last 12 years. I am careful about bottled water - I do not drink "drinking water" processed from a big city's water filtration plant, nor purified water, nor water with flouride in it. Some bottled waters do have flouride added.

Helpful to some I hope.

GJ

That's really scarey that a public water supply would be labelled as unpotable, but as water becomes a scarcer and more polluted commodity in the world, I guess we can expect the same all over the world eventually.
Much of the world's population has never had the privilege of clean water. Let's face it. Clean water on tap is a privilege.

We own a water technology business, which is partly about water treatment. Our son, who manages the business tells us that they have received samples of rainwater for testing from people who are inexplicably ill. They install water treatment devices and it has had an amazing effect on the health of the people concerned. Even though it is in the country, there are some quite heavy air polluters in the region. Various bacteria and other mini-beasts could also be the cause, but these devices do seem to fix it. I won't tell you onliine the name of the product but email me if you want to know.

Louise

Well, they do "claim" it's potable for everyone but the three groups listed. But, and it's a big BUT! Not only is there tremendous amounts of bacteria, and all kinds of contaminates including lead, copper, there are haloacetic acids and trihalomethanes which are by-products of chlorination. They don't just put chlorine in the water, they also add chloramine, which kills more bacteria, including the flora and fauna in your intestines and can mess with your digestive enzymes. Oh, and don't forget the flouride or microbial contaminants, such as cryptosporidium. I've also read that flouride causes some types of arthritis but I didn't bookmark that article.

Add to that - if the levels get too high, the powers that be just up the "acceptable" levels.

GJ

Chloramination also kills naeglaria fowlerii amoeba, the cause of amoebic meningitis, the brain eater, which we were discussing only a few weeks ago, re Alemama.

Water can be dodgy stuff, whether it is the bugs, the metals, the stuff they put in it to kill the bugs, or the stuff in the atmosphere that is picked up by the rain and dumped in our rainwater tanks.

In general terms the treatment I was talking about in my last post is less than 5 micron filtration, then UV sterilisation after that. It still doesn't remove the metals but I will get the full story from DS1 this afternoon and post it, without commercial brands mentioned. He may be able to tell us about other technologies for removing these other contaminants.