Exercising in Bare Feet is Painful

Body: 

I have arthritis in my feet. When I try to exercise using the First Aid for Prolapse DVD, my feet and toes hurt and the next day of exercising they hurt even more. Is it ok for me to wear shoes while exercising? If so, what do you recommend? I wear crocs almost all the time, alternating with a good pair of running shoes. Or should I just try to exercise through the pain in my feet?
(I lost my First Aid for Prolapse DVD - have been hunting all over my house. It must have happened when my son cleaned out the DVDs! I guess I'll have to order another one.)

I'd love to know the answer to this too.
I have plantar fascitis and since doing the DVD workouts, my feet are sore all the time. I'd love to be able to do the workouts in my shoes that have orthotics in them.
thank you for asking this question Beth74! :-)

If you have arthritis or other foot problems, it would probably be best to get advice from your doctor with regards to the best footwear for exercise in general. Unless someone on this forum has enough medical knowledge or personal experience with this.

I agree that you shouldn't be ending up with sore feet from exercising. If you are getting sore feet You would be best to wear appropriate footwear.

There is a chain of shops in Australia called Athlete's Foot, where I would be happy to go for advice . Doctors here are not terribly knowledgeable about footwear, but a podiatrist would be helpful, or any good 'serious' sports shoe retailer. In saying that, I am not suggesting that you leave your doctor out of the equation. The doctor could also be very helpful, particularly in explaining what is going on in your feet.

Another suggestion would be to hang around a gym, where there are large numbers of people doing similar exercise classes. See what they wear, and how happy they are with their choice of footwear.

Another option to consider. The more I have bare feet the hardier they become. The more I wear shoes the more tender my feet become. I understand that our feet lose padding as we age, and arthritis can also exacerbate that discomfort. I am wondering if going barefoot a bit more might help condition your feet to harder surfaces? I am not an expert at this. Just wondering.

Louise

Louise