Estriol side effects

Body: 

I was always against any hormonal therapy, but recently agreed with the gyno who prescribed me estriol vaginal globules. I took it "only" on 3 occassions (with three days gap in between) and since then I have developed horrible migraines and headaches...

As I am going to see another gyno in two weeks time I need to prepare that they will again try to prescribe me some hormones (as this is what they do!)...
Is there any treatment that could be advisable? I am peri-menopausal, still menstruating, but my cycle is quite irregular (betwee 12 and over 60 days)...

I rather stay with some more natural methods...
Ivonush

Just wondering why the gyn prescribed the oestriol globules? What were they supposed to help?

Louise, he was not very clear, said it was for vaginal dryiness and atrophy. But he aslo suspected I may have an old endometriosis (I am unsure), and that actually estriol may make it worse...

He also suggested taking something called cicatrdina every three days(http://www.cicatridina.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...)

I think just that estriol has triggered my migraines.

I will be going to see another gyno in next two weeks. I want to ask them for pessary...

Thank you,
Ivonush

Hi Ivonush

This product is new to me, though I have heard of hyaluronic acid before. I have been googling and have found out that hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally occurring in the body. It does have a role in tissue proliferation during healing from surgical procedures, particularly eyes. But these one off healing assistance things may be different from using it all the time in your vagina, especially if you have had any cancer. It does have a role in metastising cancer. On the other hand it has been investigated as an alternative to oestrogen creams. Have a look at this, http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:20135132 .

Replens is another product you could try. Search the Forum to see the topics where we have discussed it.

Another alternative is drinking red clover tea. There is an article by Christine in the library, about a natural treatment for lichen sclerosus, where you can find an explanation for this. I have a big pot of red clover tea every day, and find it makes a lot of difference, not only to my vagina but to my skin all over. It has phytooestrogens in it. Read Christine's article to find out how it works.

I would suggest that you do some googling to check out these things for yourself.Then at least you will understand what the doctor is talking about and you will be able to and intelligent question, and maybe evenunderstand the answers! ;-) Take a pen and paper and write down what the doctor says.

Louise

Hi Ivonrush,
I do sympathise - I'm not familiar with medical products generally - and it takes quite a learning curve to become familiar with them. Well worth the effort I suspect s, otherwise we live in hope and ignorance and our knowledge, wisdom and choice base is diminished.
Just a thought though following what you said about considering asking for a pessary. I do think this is worth thinking about further before you try one out. A pessary is palliative not curative. Anecdotally pessaries do suit some women and offer them prolapse relief and support. Christine's research has shown pessaries tend to suit wome with anterior prolapse or cystocele more than conditions. However pessaries don't suit some women; they tend to stretch and widen the vaginal passage, so that over time prolapse may actually worsen and/or a pessary can no longer be retained, they can also be quite uncomforatable and difficult to take out to clean regularly (to the extent that some wome leave them in longer than adviseable).

All in all, I think it may be a good idea to work with WW posture and appraoch first if you possibly can, to see if the symptoms can be alleviated without reosrting to pessaries. Pessaries are probably best seen as one of the later options rather than one of the first.

I do recommend Christine's book 'Saving the Whole Woman' as a wonderful base resource regarding all things pessary and the Whole Woman approach.

Good luck - and thanks for sharing,
wholewomanuk

Thank you Wholewomanuk,
I think I wanted pessary as a quick-fix...
Same as you wrote I have had my doubts, e.g. what if they fix it for longer and i will find it uncomfortable? What about cleaning them?
As I mentioned before I use sea sponges and they help to some extent. But I can take them out any time and I also take care each evening to soak them in an apple vinegar for 10 minutes. I would not like to get any extra problem in form of infection...
I can already see that somehow the sea sponge helps in some day, in other it does not, and I am still unsure why...I guess it more relates to my BM...
I have been quite stressed out at my job, also I live during the week in rented accommodation...I tend to wake up around 5am with some anxiety and overactive mind...I think it contributes to my BM, as my autonomus nervous system is quite alert...I generally have a tendency to hightened response (due to a childhood trauma), which is the way I am...And now, as my situation is not settled, I am very much in a "fight/flight" response...
So I decided to take few days off work (looking after myself), going back to my "secure base"...

In terms of meds, I used to take anything what was prescribed to me, only recently have discovered that I can make more informed choice. So here I am- learning new skill: how to talk to doctors and take my own decisions...

Hormonal therapy never agredd with me...so I will not consider it anymore...

I will be more mindful about pessaries- thank you for you thoughts...

What has happened to me recently, the prolapse, has been a very new leaarning process...
I am still daily in pain and feel uncomfortable...but there are times when I feel just "normal"...
I have had a bit of set back last few days, it is because I am so tired...hopefully I will recover at home...

I want to try the WW approach, but it is still very new for me and it seems more based on belief that if it helped others it "may" help me...I have felt a bit better, though...is it because of WW, or because I am regainig control? I don't know...
I need to regain control in other aspects of my life, such as work, Iw ant to start my own buiseness, but I am not brave enough yet...
But it has been very difficult to be fragmented between home (secure base) and work (out of my comfort zone...)...and this contributes to my health...Neverheless, it has been better than one year ago...
Life is a constant surprise...
Ivonush

Louise, I am taking few days off work so i will research it further. I don't want any hormones anymore! (since I introduced them for only three times I have had constant headaches and mograines...)...
I used replens and I don't like it...
I have found other lubricants (something called "yes"- it is organic one) (http://www.yesyesyes.org/paper_menopause_vaginal_dryness_detail.htm)...
Also Tea Tree globules...

I will look into Red Clover tea, or they sell it in drops here, I need to look for any side effects...

Have you, or anybody else, used Prolapse Tincture from Jadeand pearl? (http://www.jadeandpearl.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPa...). I also found some chinese herbal remedy for proplase...

If I ask questions it is not about not researching them on net, I like to know people's own experiences or thoughts...and then take my own decisions...

I need to be very careful with side-effects, I am very sensitive...

I will prepare in a better way for my gyno visit this time...
Thank you,
Ivonush

Is it better to stick just with Red Clover Tea, or take it in capsules, or drops?
Ivonush

I can purchase 1kg of red clover tea for $42 online. This lasts me about 6 months. I also carry Promensil tablets when I am on the road ot orhterwise unable to brew my little pot of tea. Tincture is useful for making skin cream and your own red clover balm for vulval use. The choice is yours. How much to use? I make a post that has a built infuser that holds about 1/2 cup of greenery and flowers, when squashed down. I infuse it for about 15 minutes, then have one big mugful. then I top it up again and have another big mug full later in the day. This pretty much exhausts the colour.