The Pill

Body: 

I am posting this because younger women would probably read it.

A young lady I am aquainted with is on The Pill. She doesn't really like it but it seems to be the least worst of her options for contraception. She doesn't like how she feels while taking it, and is wondering if there are any herbs she could take or other supplements to reduce the bloated feeling.

Anyone got any ideas?

Red clover tea?

Louise

but, I do know that there is more than one pill out there and if she's not happy with the current one she is taking, she might like to switch. The tricycline ones are rumored to be the worst for bloating and acne.

Shop around as not all created equal. I was on one that made me batty -- in the ER at 3am convinced I was stroking, near OCD regarding the cleanliness of my apartment, paranoid I had HIV and any other number of serious illnesses. FINALLY linked this to my pill. Switched to another that I took with out adverse effects for about 6 years. Alemama is right too - the tricyclic ones are more prone to cause adverse effects than ones that keep a constant level of hormone in the body. Other than that, same old same old for bloating -- lay off caffeine, hydrate with water. I would not mess with any herbs, since it's not really known how they impact effectiveness of the pill. Alfalfa, st john's wort, eucalyptus, rose hips, all forms of magnesium, mineral oil, and pleurisy root are a few known herbs/supplaments that cause "minor" but significant interactions with the Pill.