oats

Body: 

Hay(!), Oat experts,

What's the story on oats? What does steel cut mean, what is the alternative, and what is so bad about the alternative?

Here's what I *think* is the story on oats ... So, oats grow in a kernal shape, like wheat. Steel cut ( also called Irish oatmeal in some areas) just slices up the kernal. It looks like little pellets, rather than the more common alternative, rolled oats, which are flat flakes. Rolled cooks much, much faster than steel cut, that's for sure. I don't exactly know why steel cut is better, but assume it preserves more of the bran. I think it's like the whole wheat of the oat world. Someone please correct me if I am wrong! Steel cut oats are very hearty and nutty, and way less gluey than rolled oats when cooked up for breakfast, but you need a good 30 minutes before they are ready to eat!

I have not been on the forum for a while, can you tell me please how to start a new post as its different know Thanks.

I think I have got it folks

Maybe not

Dear Louise,
The big difference,as I know is that instant oatmeal,while good for you is not in the low glycemic food category. This means that you will get hungry faster. Cooked old fashioned rolled oats or steel cut oats will fill you up for much longer-up to about 3hours. Also they both have textural differences. Don't know if you have Trader Joe's where you are. They carry both old fashioned and steel cut and directions for stove top or microwave that only take a total of 5 to 7 min. to cook,instead of the traditional 20 or so minutes. You can tell I eat a lot of oatmeal!

I have rolled oats every morning and i add 1 tspn each of oat bran and wheat bran as i have always presumed that rolled oats are not whole but i haven't seen any steel cut where we live. (Western Australia) It seems ironic that i am putting back what has been taken out. Even if the steel cut has a different name here i haven't seen anything on the supermarket shelves other than instant and rolled. I'm going to check with the health shop as soon as they open. It's early morning here.

Yes i have checked with our health food store and they do have them so i shall be trying them out.

Oats have a hard husk that is long and thin and is quite difficult to remove from the grain. It is very tough and would prevent the oat from absorbing water. Horse owners would be familiar with the whole oat.

I buy rolled oats which have the husk removed, and are simply squashed down to about 1.5mm thick. It then put them through my mill on course grind, if i need to have a quick breakfast, and cook them in the microwave or a saucepan. Or else I soak them in boiling water for an hour or so, then simmer them for 5 minutes.

I know I can also buy Scotch oats which seem to be pulverised, like the ones I grind. Steel cut oats sound like kibbled oats, like burghul made from wheat (which I just make these days by course grinding wheat when I need it), or corn grits.

I figure that the bigger the pieces, the better the food. I wish it was possible to buy oats that have only been husked, just like the wheat I buy.

Have consumed oats in this form for years, even though it takes longer to make, and longer to stir of course!

Still eat it from time to time, with a touch of honey :)

Thank you for bringing up the "Oats" topic Louise!

Do people always boil/simmer oats? I cannot take any milk, so I tend to have my breakfast just with a bit of cold water, or juice + I add some fresh berries and dry fruit (such as raisins) and nuts to it...
ivonush

I find that soaking any oats in boiling water for a while cuts the cooking time considerably. Soaking overnight in cold water in a saucepan is best of all.

You can cook them in the rice cooker-my friend with a big family cooks hers in the crock pot.