Creme de la femme instead of vagitab

Body: 

Hello there, new here. Thought I'd reach out.
Suffered from yeast infections for years.
Been breastfeeding for the last 4 years...9 months off only.
Currently breastfeeding an 18 month old...leading to self weaning..maybe another year...
This last year was prescribed vagitab for dryness. It helped very much. However, over holidays, ate alot of sugar, forgot to replenish with yogurt after being a little to rough down there and voila..major yeast infection. It is gone now...natural and anitbiotic...was real bad. Want to keep it gone.
Have read that vagitab may not be good for someone prone to yeast infections so came across Creme de la femme
http://www.amazing-solutions.com/index.htm
and Luvena http://www.luvenacare.com/
Thought these sounded like good moisturizers so that I can ride my bike without injury and stop being so overly sensitive and so my sex life is enjoyable. I'm not interested in messing with hormones...mine are already overactive...bad acne inflammation on my face. Any opinion or advise would be appreciated. Thank you

Have you tried supplemental probiotics?

Hi Subrosa,

Please check out the February edition of the Village Post tomorrow. I have written extensively on this subject and my opinion of Luvena is included. Creme de la femme is a petroleum based product that misses the point of natural vaginal lubrication.

Welcome to Whole Woman!

Christine

No, googling supplemental right now! Thanks.

Thanks so much Christine. Looking forward to reading it!!

A dairy free diet might help the acne, particularly if it is worsening of existing chronic acne. Not sure if it is the lactose or the milk protein that is the problem. However, you will have to find ways of ensuring that you get enough calcium with a breastfed baby. Yoghurt? Lactose is converted to lactic acid.

Louise

Ok, so is there a vaginal moisturizer out there? I'm breastfeeding an 18 month old so it is more for emotional reassurance then nutrition. I take a multi vitamin. I haven't been having any dairy except for the yogurt for the last month. What is the difference between a pro and pre biotic and can I take while I'm breastfeeding? Luvena looked great but the article turned me away from it so...So far I have the astroglide natural which sounds great but is there anything I can use on a regular basis...some sort of moisturizer that has hopefully been invented...btw I'm 33.

Well, it doesn’t look like there’s anything currently on the market that does what glycogen does. A prebiotic (glycogen, glucose, fructose) is the food that a probiotic (bacteria) eats.

More importantly than reaching for a jar or tube is to develop a good understanding of the problem. There is a natural microenvironment in your vagina, which keeps it healthy and pain & itch free. Upsets in the populations of microorganisms result in “infections”.

In my experience, vaginal probiotics are not a perfect solution. If you think about it (and this applies to the gut as well), a certain milieu of organisms has been existing in your particular system for a long time. It is well known that one person’s E coli is different from and often pathogenic to another’s. Probably similar with probiotics. That argument aside, in the post-menopausal or breastfeeding woman whose estradiol/glycogen is low, probiotics don’t have enough carbohydrate to keep multiplying. Therefore, relief is short-lived.

I believe a good glycogen supplement will be the answer to so many vaginal disorders. And if you look up the patents being taken out around this idea, many others think so too.

I have found honey to be a perfect solution to dryness, itching, pain and vulva neoplasia (bumps, ridges, etc) caused by who knows what - perhaps fungal activity? This has been a remarkable discovery. The problem is, honey is anything but convenient. I have ordered honey lozenges to see if they solve the stickiness/messiness issue. Once the honey is inside and external stickiness removed, the lactobacilli must multiply like crazy because it seems to metabolize very rapidly, creating moisture and comfort. As I mentioned earlier, it’s possible glucose tablets might work as well. These are extremely inexpensive and available at any drug store. However, will they attract the same colonies of beneficial lactobacilli? Or feed yeast - ugh. I don’t know yet.

Hope you can experiment with your own body to find a natural solution that works. I’m sure we will have more choices in the future as this becomes common knowledge.

Christine

Is lactic acid good or bad for vaginal irritation?

...is good for vaginal health. It's what keeps vaginal pH on the acidic side. I have no idea what actually happens at the tissue level, but science has known about the microflora for a long, long time. Too much or too little estrogen/glycogen upsets the balance.

OK, so, canceled my order of creme de la femme. Very sad about that, reviews sounded convincing. Now I'm pretty much just avoiding any sexual encounter down there and am so not interested in sticking honey down there...like I said,, I have a major yeast susceptibility...also sticking anything that even sounds like glucose around there to feed the yeast does not sound appealing. So, guess there is nothing? other then experimenting with sugar...not interested...will have to brainstorm about this for a while. Would love to hear from someone that has had a simular problem or experience.:(

I am willing to give honey a crack as a lubricant for sex. I no longer seem to have a propensity for yeast infection. I will just have to make sure I can have a shower afterwards and have time to change the sheets afterwards. Watch this space, but don't hold your breath. ;-)

Louise