Post your success story

Body: 

Hi to all the women out there who feel that Wholewoman has helped them considerably, over a period of time. If you have been doing Wholewoman work for over a year and would like to inspire others with your success, please post your story *in a new topic* in the Longstanding Members Success Stories Forum. To find this Forum, click on Forums in the left panel and scroll right down to near the bottom of the page.

We all love a good story to inspire us on.

Louise

....for trying to keep things organized on here! Not an easy job.

My Prolapse Story
It was fifteen years ago when our family went to Boca del Toro in Panama. Among the fun of trips into the jungle and island visitations I found myself making a discovery in the shower: my vagina was no longer a dark black hole “down there.” It had something in it that I could feel with my finger. I had immediate panic and insisted we get to a phone so I could talk to my gynecologist. The only phone on the island was next to a wildy riotous men’s prison which made the call all the more bizarre. My GYN said it was probably nothing, not to worry; she’d check it out when I got home in a week.
Back home she confirmed that I had a cystocele and confided that she had a rectocele herself. Her husband, also a GYN and a surgeon, checked me to see what the “fix” would be. It was a complete hysterectomy, which she recommended; she gave me the paperwork on it ( a brochure) and I left her office white with terror. After discussion with my husband and reading the statistics, I decided I certainly would not have any surgery at that time. A good choice. In the meantime, I discovered Whole Woman and started their program of exercises, posture, etc. It was not constant, because sometimes I just wanted to forget about it and could do so. Nothing was peeking yet. But, as my GYN said, gravity was my enemy. Sooner or later I would see my vagina, and this year I have said hello to that mysterious opening called the cervix. Now I am 68 years old and I feel that I made the proper decision so long ago. Since that time my GYN has confirmed that her associates have started to look upon a prolapse as more like a hernia – something you can live with. That is so true. I have had fifteen years of a good life and although I now have to make some concessions, it is nothing so severe as having a surgical solution would have been. For many years I would just bend over at the middle and touch the floor with my hands or pretend I had dropped something or had an interest in the ground. People don’t notice, but that bending over would get my vagina back into position. I suppose if anyone had asked I would have said that I had back trouble and needed to stretch.
As time went on I started some of the exercises; I have arthritis and I would not be able to do them all on the floor as my knees don’t bend too co-operatively. I would make sure I was always sitting upright; no bother to do that, it looks better anyway. I would do the circles where you stand and ring each leg forward and around in a circle to the back, then reverse, ending with a stretch backwards on each side. I would sit on a bench and rotate from the hips one way and then the other and then from front to back. I started becoming less enthusiastic about walking downhill or down steps; but that was more a function of my knee pain than my prolapse. I noticed that people understood that and it really did not inhibit my life that much. I have continued to work in a job that has me at a desk and out in the field on a weekly basis. I am a grandmother for four youngsters. I did notice that it was not a good idea to pick them up and carry them, but that wasn’t the end of the world. If I sat down they would crawl into my lap and we’d be fine cuddling that way. I now wear looser cotton panties and use a mini pad during the day as there is a bit of discharge from my cervix, sometimes tinged with pink. It is never more than, oh, half a teaspoon. It is not the end of the world to wear a small mini pad. I do not have any incontinence. Now my only worry is about bladder infections. I have been to the hospital twice with bladder infections (UTI’s) and that is probably because I live on an island and they fly off most everything. The first time, I got better and left the same day I arrived. The last time I was given antibiotics for two days, ugh. I am taking D-Mannose, and drinking a lot (of water) which I hope will help.
If you are a newbie and are looking at your future with a POP, I would like you to know that it can be all good. I felt like my insides were mysterious and not so appealing but now I love my vagina and cervix and treat them right. It is easy to keep clean and I put on a nice layer of KY’s Silk-E every night before I tuck in my Pop and go to bed. At 68, people don’t expect you to be climbing down mountains, and I never was someone who had to try that sort of thing. I cannot think that my life is necessarily better than it would have been otherwise, but it is certainly not a lot worse, either. I would say that it is the same. And the pleasure of having my three children by vaginal birth was nothing that I would now change having known the result. We all adjust to things every day of our lives, every year, every decade. Be good to yourself and be patient, a premium response nowdays. If you learn what your body needs and respect it, newbie, you will be fine. Your life will be good. You will look back with smiles and have a good future. All my best wishes to you.
Discouraged (no longer)

This is a great post and I'm so glad you took the time. I didn't realize until now, that you are one of the real veterans of Whole Woman and you have a nice long history of successful prolapse maintenance to relate. Learning to live well with the level of symptoms that we have, and keep those at a baseline as much as we can, is what it's all about. Things are in a constant state of flux, and just knowing that tomorrow with prolapse can be just as good as today, if not better, is so empowering. Thanks for sharing, DNL (Discouraged No Longer) - Lots of love to you - Surviving

So nice to have your response.

thanks to you discouraged, us new people need post like yours

What a lovely post. You fill us with optimism and what an amazing and beautiful life it seems you are living. I loved that you shared so very much with all of us. Many thanks and much love to you.

Thanks, Discouraged. I think your post illustrates how we need to trust our own intuition and not hurry into repairs (also illustrated by your gynaecologist's decision). We have the rest of our lives to learn how to live with POP. Your post also illustrates that we can learn new POP-friendly ways of dealing with everyday challenges, and just do what we can do. We have to get real about a lot of things as we age, realise that there is more than one correct way of doing many tasks, and adapt to them. You're doing well.

Louise

Thank you discouraged for sharing your story. It is somewhat reassuring to know that this condition can be managed. I however am still on the fence. Since coming into this site my condition has worsened. The pessary that I purchased will no longer stay put, no will a tampon. I have lost 30 lbs in the past year and have excersized a lot! I was lookin good. Now I try to get the WW stuff into my day. I am seeing my GY next week and am not looking forward to this visit. I do not want surgery, but don't know if I am able to "put up with" "thing between my legs." I will definately NOT rush into any decisions at this point, and am trying to gain all the knowledge that I can.

Thank you

Pro12 (and discouraged)

Thank you all for your posts, bringing tears to my eyes! Happiness is where we find it and you really don't have to look too far.
D

Hello Pro12,
I don't feel as knowledgeable as many others on this site about the advice I can give to you; however I can relate to the discouragement. Not to be simplistic and say that your attitude can turn things around, but for me it did truly help to start loving my female body parts and acknowledge that I should care for them at least as much as, say my eyelashes and my hair, for example. Also, surgery can always happen later, can't it? The surgical techniques and materials, if one needs to go that route, are surely going to get improved upon and more successful as our baby boomers in the US are reaching their golden years and the need will be apparent. Yes, it might be a simple decision if you knew that surgery would be the answer and that it would no longer be a worry. However, in many cases, surgery causes further problems and ever further prolapses. So, try to see that there is something positive in waiting until you know what really would be best for your special circumstances. I wish you well.
D

Thanks Louise,
Will do. Thanks for the heads up - It's so helpful to for everyone to hear the positives. Recent neuro-psychological research shows we're biologically biased to notice and remember the negative more than the positive.

When we're well it's easy to take this for granted. Success stories are also very helpful for women who are distressed and maybe new to this way of working. It's also useful to get good testimonials. And who knows they may be helpful in future research or publications (if permission granted of course).

This is a great idea. If WW has helped you - please let WW know.
xxwholewomanuk

I did go into that today and am feeling more positive about things. I also realized that I have not (blush) been using the proper posture very much! I need a spankin!
I took it easy today and did some reading.

Thank you all for being here!
Pro12

Okay, back into posture you go. You may have needed the little break but I know you as the optimistic enthusiastic person that you are.....I remember your first postings well :) You will be back at it posting some little successes very soon. Best wishes and Love to you