PROLAPSE

Body: 

Hi ladies, this is my first post, i have been reading the posts since sept 11, i have been diagnosed with a prolapse (sept 11) by my gp, i went to the surgery with a feeling of bearing down and feeling like i want to open my bowels all the time, i get an occasional ok day but in the main i'm so very uncomfortable, i'm 45 years old next week, i have three children 22, 20 and 4, all vaginal deliveries, my last baby was 9lbs, with a very big head, i feel like i pushed within an inch of my life!!!!! after he was born i noticed i was very bulgy down there, sort of the whole area, and had severe constipation so strained a whole lot more, after about 9 mnths this bulging feeling went away, in jan11 i embarked on a 6mnth bootcamp which was heavy going, then sept 11 i started having these symtoms, i dont always get the bulging feeling but do always get the feeling to open my bowels, at the moment i feel like everything is going to fall out- from front to back, i am getting hugely depressed and an soooo scared im going to wake up to find my insides outside my body,i am waiting to see gynae physio, and have bought the wholewoman dvd,which i try to do asap, but i am getting so depressed i can hardly manage to bother washing my hair!!! please help someone :(

Welcome, Janus. What surgery did you have?

i have not had any surgery, im waiting to see the pt,in the meantime im left really worrying, sorry to confuse you we call the doctors office the surgery. the regular gp doesnt seem very interested, i feel this is not a very talked about subject, so getting any information is almost impossible, i'm really not keen to have any sort of surgery

Hi Janus, welcome to the site, and don't panic! There is lots of information here, and a great forum of women to help you keep your sanity and perspective with prolapse. There are so many of us! First of all, have you read up on this site about the Whole Woman posture? (See the FAQ's above). Have you ordered or considered ordering Christine's book and/or dvd? Just trying to get a handle on how much research you may have already done (since you have been checking this site for some time). - Surviving

hi surviving, thanks for yor reply, just knowing your not alone helps, i have the dvd, havnt got a complete grasp on it yet, but im trying to do the firebreathing, although not sure im doing it right, i have been practising the posture as much as possible,but still do go back to unhealthy posture, hopefully this new posture will become more normal as time goes on

Hi Janus.....all of it takes awhile to get used to, but eventually it will click. You'll still need to remind yourself from time to time. I catch myself with a tightened-up belly once in awhile. Firebreathing is tricky because you have to breathe correctly. You're INHALING as the belly is expanding and the butt is in the air; and you're EXHALING in a controlled manner as you arch your back and pull your belly up and in. It creates a very effective vaccuum that you should feel. Keep working and asking your questions here. - S (PS, sorry, I do see that you mentioned DVD in your original post)..

This is my first post. I will be ordering the book and one of the yoga dvds. I am not sure which one. I do yoga already and have not had surgery. I see my gyn tomorrow but can only expect a diagnosis, what I think is anterior prolaspe. I have discomfort across my lower abdomin. I am a little scared but will not have surgery. I am an RN. For me the medical professionals have no thought of prevention as when this was mentioned to me a few years ago during a pelvic exam. Why didn't they assist me then to prevent further structural problems or at least give me information about it. I am single. This makes me wander if any partner will want me now.... Anyway, I am relieved to have found this website.

I am happy for you that you found this site. I am a little over two months here and have learned so much. You are right...why haven't we been educated on this in terms of prevention. If you have been doing yoga, it is possible you are tucking the tailbone and pulling in the tummy. Try not to do that now. Learn the posture and be patient with yourself if it is new to you. I use the DVD for prolapse and the First Wheel but I also have the Second and have preordered the Third. You might want to start with the Book and Prolapse DVD, then when the posture and habits are a bit corrected, you can order the other yoga DVDs. I bought the bundle since I knew I would want it all over time. Try not to worry about the partner thing. When you are comfortable with the posture and begin to notice improvement, you will realize that we can do almost everything with prolapse. Sex is not bad for women with prolapse either so do not worry about that. Best wishes to you.

... and men don't notice the difference, anyway, with penetrative sex. Go figure.

Take it slowly. It won't affect your libido unless you let it. Kegels do have a use, after all. It is muscle isolation, which is great for sex. If you use positions where you are on top you have a greater degree of control of penetration angle, and the shape of your spine too. Strategically placed pillows can be very helpful too. You'll be fine.

Louise

Thank you so much I have tears in my eyes.. I hope when I feel better I will be able to help someone else as you have helped me.

Today I received the "official" word.. I have a uterine and possibly a bladder prolapse. I was given 3 "options", do nothing until sypmtoms get worse, a pessary or surgery. This was from a woman practioner. ...Although I am quite healthy I feel old today. I have lost weight and doing alot of hiking, bike, riding and eating really healthy. Ordering one of the bundles today. Its my only other hope at this point. So glad to have happened upon this website.

In some ways the official diagnosis can relieve us of the worry of things that could be much worse. You are going to be alright (and I say that after only a couple of months here myself). When you get your bundle, you will gain much info from watching the DVDs and starting the exercises. Start slow. I made the mistake of thinking the more I did, the better. Now I do what I can comfortably do and I am getting stronger and more symptomless little by little. You are not old because of this but you will be wiser! My best wishes to you and see you around the forum!

LTwesp, soak up all the WW knowledge that you can. Read read read, and watch. It's important to keep in mind that getting into posture and trying to stay that way is the main thing. The exercises help you do that, but as Nightingale says, don't feel like you have to exercise all day long to get any benefit. Use the materials to really really understand the posture, and set about to train your mind and body in these concepts. Then, the more you move while in excellent correct posture, the better you will feel. I am now in my third year, and changes are still being felt. With each passing day I am more and more of a believer. This is the best of all the options out there for women. - Surviving

Dear MsNightengale and Surviving60, thank you so much for your support and inspiration. Sounds like patience is the word. Am looking forward to receiving the book and dvds.

So, I have recently been dx. with POP. About the same time I started with lower abdominal discomfort and mentioned this as well as my fears of ovarian cancer to my practioner who said that I should have a pelvic utrasound but did not order it.. Now my concerns with this discomfort have increased. Went to another practicioner and now have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow. I know this website is not about cancer... however I need to talk to some. I am 55, single and scared... please pray for me if you can. Thank-you.

You have all of our prayers I am sure. It is good that you feel you can post your worries here. I am glad for you that you have the ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow. As nervous as you feel today, it will be so good for you to know what the diagnosis is after that. You know, since I have been practicing the WW posture, that is 3 months now, I feel like every day I learn a bit more. I think it would be helpful for you to think of the quiet inhale and exhale that we do through the nose, down into your long and soft tummy. Maybe a walk today in WW posture and just follow that beautiful breath...would be good for you if you have the time. It does help me to calm myself from stress that way. My very best wishes to you and I will be looking for your post tomorrow!

Thank-you!! Will do.

Will be thinking of you and watching for a follow-up post - Surviving

Hi LTwesp

Sometimes the buildup to something like this is the worst part, not knowing what is happening in your body. I am sure that at least the anxiety will be gone once you have the ultrasound, and that you will be able to deal rationally with the result, should it be bad news.

It probably won't be bad news. We are in a sickness view of the world when we deal with doctors, who are always figuring out what is causing a problem or trying to find something that is wrong with us that they can fix with drugs or surgery.

Best wishes for the ultrasound. Can you find someone trusted who will go along with you?

Louise

Thank-you for your kind responses. When I called for report, the office personnel said the report was not in and the doctor had left the office as it was Friday afternoon. I was having a meltdown...realizing I was going to have to go all weekend without a report... minutes later a very kind office girl called me back. She had called the hospital and the report was actually done but never given to the provider office...a PA who was still in the office gave her permission to tell me the ultrasound was normal except for a fibroid on the outside uterine wall!! I was thanking God and the kind office person!! Yes, I did have my daughter (shes 31) go with me to the appointment. So now I can start using the first aid for prolaspe dvd in earnest and start the yoga dvds also. I still will have to address the fibroid and associated pain but I can live with that. So glad it was not cancer!! I did take the walk msnightengale suggested too! I consider you friends!! Thank-you so much again!!

I am so happy to hear of this news! Beautiful! I too have had a fibroid but in post-meno they tend to just get smaller, so hopefully you will notice less discomfort as time goes on. Start little by little with the DVDs. I went too fast and that of course didn't help. Now I am learning to feel out just the right amount. Sometimes less is better. Best wishes and so happy for your news!

So happy for you, LTwesp. I wish that you would go to the Resources page, click on the videos and watch Christine's interview with Nora Coffey of the HERS Foundation. You say that you still need to "address" your fibroid - what does that mean? Doctors love to use fibroids as a reason for hysterectomy, and if you read Nora's book, The "H" Word, you'll be afraid to go under the knife for fear that you might wake up missing some important parts that you never gave anyone permission to remove. Watch the interview.

I am glad your daughter was able to go with you.

You will be enjoying the weekend now, knowing that all is well. Yes, fear of results, fear of hysterectomy, fear of doctors doing stuff they didn't tell you about. Fear of cancer. Fear of fear itself. Marketing, and its desire to save us from our own fear is the motivator for everything. I think it would be better if we stuck to being fearful of things that are worthy of fear, and avoided them, or else " ...feel the fear, and do it anyway!"

The more you know, the more informed you will be, and the less fear you will have. Here's hoping the fibroid settles down in time.

Louise

I am definetly not wanting a hystersectomy. I will go the book by Nora Coffey as recommeded above. And watch Christines interview. By "address" I guess I meant that since I am having continuous pain and have never had a fibroid I will need more information about fibroids, and I would like to get the report in writing so I may understand location and size more (I am an RN) and always need to see it on paper and read it myself. I would like to find out natural solutions. Thank you again!! f & p.... wow

Watched the video!! Excellent resource!

If you go to her website, www.hersfoundation.com you can view a video, or read the transcript of the video about what the surgeon does during hysterectomy. It becomes crystal clear why hysterectomy is body so destructive of pelvic organ support, why keeping your ovaries is often not what it seems to be, and why it sets the woman's body up for further prolapse.

A must read if you are ever 'offered' a hysterectomy as part of pelvic organ prolapse repair.

Louise