Blood pressure & fire breathing

Body: 

I've been doing fire breathing for about 5 days now. I haven't been diagnosed with high blood pressure so I thought it would be okay. When I checked my BP this morning it was 150/80. I'm guessing it's from the fire breathing. Why does this happen? I am stopping doing this for now, The only other time my bp has gone higher than the 120's or 130's is when I go to dentist or doctor which I've been told is white coat syndrome. Anyone else experience this from fire breathing? Also can naulis raise bp? Please advise as I am now unclear what is good to do & what isn't...

Forum:

Allix - the book (2nd edition) does have several warnings with regard to firebreathing. High BP is one of them.

OK, I just reread your question and realized you said you did NOT have diagnosed high BP. What made you check it, are you borderline and is that something that you do from time to time?

I check it from time to time on a fairly regular basis. I am 65. I think I should do so. why does fire breathing raise blood pressure? I saw the warning in the book. What about naulis? can they raise bp as well? I am unclear what is good to do & what isn't.

I think it has to do with the extreme way that you're breathing, especially that vaccuum that is created on the exhale. Offhand I'd say, if it raises your BP you should proceed with caution!

We must always give caution about all aspects of the WW work, but in a healthy woman I can't think of anything much safer than WW firebreathing. One's blood pressure would have to be extremely labile to be affected simply be accentuating the normal breath cycle. Use caution, check with your doctor, but in my opinion if firebreathing is raising one's blood pressure - they would probably benefit from doing it more often.

It's to be expected. How quickly did it return to normal?

Yes, her systolic increase reflects the fact that her heart is working harder - a sign of healthy aerobic exercise....but firebreathing? I guess everything is relative. My greatest caution with firebreathing - and particularly nauli - is the *decrease* in blood pressure that accompanies the stomach vacuum. Light headedness and fainting are possible in someone not used to much exercise.

today my bp was 123/75 - back to normal & I'm happy. I am quite active. walk 75-90 min. 6 dys/wk. & I do an additional 90 min. of exercise split up thru the day, consisting of stretching, yoga, some dumbbells (5 lbs ea.), I've added a few more yoga exercise you use in video. I'd stopped doing downward facing dog (don't know why) but started again. this is allergy season here & my sinuses bother me at this time of year so some of the upside down breathing thru nose is difficult for me. I have not done firebreathing for 2 days but will try it again. I'm also concentrating hard on the ww posture when walking, sitting & exercising. I appreciate your responses. Thank you all!

This is so interesting. I have very low blood pressure, and I am tired all the time. I am thinking that the fire breathing (which I do about once a day now) is a good practice for me! Some blood tests are being run to figure out why my BP is so low; intuitively I think I am in basic good health - just need some energy. Any body have super low BP out there? Any natural remedies? Thank you & bright blessings.