Newly Diagnosed

Body: 

I am 34 yrs old, I am 5 months postpartum after the delivery of my 3rd very lovely, very large baby. Last week I visited a Physiotherapist and received the depressing diagnosis of a stage 1 rectocele and cyctocele and from time to time I experience prolapse of my rectum. By the time I knew enough to seek help from a specialized PT I had read enough to know I was in trouble. I have been crying and reading sites and forums for a few weeks and hear so much similar to my story. It fills me with hope and despair all at once. I know that I am not alone but I also know that there is no miracle fix, my story will not be different. I will learn to manage but will likely never be healed. For me, the first part of this process is mental, I need to figure out how to manage my feelings. I am depressed, grieving my old body, trying hard to accept my new one. It is easier said than done.

I first pursued my symptoms with my GP, then spoke to my OB on the phone, I was surprised that neither was concerned enough to even do a thorough exam and said it was nothing to worry about until 12 months postpartum. That is when I turned to the internet and discovered a PT office in my area that specializes in prolapse. Even if I find that my PT can offer no physical improvement she at least was the first professional I dealt with that actually examined me, explained to me my anatomy and specific problems, and addressed my concerns. The PT also informed me that there is a one year wait to be fitted for a pessary in my area so not even knowing if I will use the option she referred me immediately.

I asked my PT how common these problems are postpartum and she said that nearly half of women will experience some prolapse during pregnancy and child birth but many have no symptoms or do not have symptoms until later in life. The PT said she recently heard a quote from a urogynecologist saying 'show me a woman that has given birth and I'll show you a rectocele'.

I guess at this point I am wondering how bad this is going to get. Could things get worse before they get better or is the damage already done and just becoming obvious? Over the past few weeks my symptoms seemed to gradually worsen. I am scared that this trend will continue. Do most women experience gradual worsening over time or are there specific things that cause further prolapse?

Can I really confidently carry my 16 pound son, go to the park with my kids, bake cookies and not worry that I am causing damage? Right now I feel vulnerable leaving the couch.

I cling to the hope that there are things I can do to help. I am breastfeeding and wondering if weaning and allowing my cycle to return will help. Should I go back on birth control? I have read about yoga, posture, breathing, herbs and teas that promote POP healing. Like everyone here I am willing to try anything but am overwhelmed with contradicting information online and don't know where to start. One thing for sure surgery scares me.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Mamamia, you are so right that there is a ton of information out there, much of it conflicting. You’re also right that there is no miracle cure. But those of us who have found our way here, feel like we are the lucky ones, while everyone else is out there basically doing Kegels all the time and convincing themselves that they are improving.

You are still post-partum and could see further improvement over time, if you treat yourself right. In addition, be aware that cystocele and rectocele have a nice way of keeping your uterus from slipping down too far, so trust me, you are in a great place from which to see improvement if you set your mind to it. It isn’t just a matter of “managing”. Many of us feel better and healthier than before we discovered prolapse.

First please go to the Theater tab above, and watch Christine’s video called “Whole Woman 101”. This is a great place to start. It describes natural female posture, how we got away from it, how to get it back, and why we need to.

It is not a quick fix. It is hard work to retrain your body. I am about at the end of my second year here, and I had all my best moments of realization in the last few months. This is not just about prolapse management, but also about avoiding major hip problems down the road.

Soak up some knowledge here, come back with your questions! Welcome aboard, hope you stay! - Surviving

Hi mamamia,

Everything Surviving60 said, and...there's no need to wean until you and your baby are ready. Keep on with the breastfeeding.

First step is to get the hang of the Whole Woman posture and then work with it. It's not rocket science, just takes a bit of getting used to.

My best wishes, you will start to feel better.

The PT said she recently heard a quote from a urogynecologist saying 'show me a woman that has given birth and I'll show you a rectocele'.

I like this comment even though it comes from a urogynecologist.

You are five months pp - start the WholeWoman work and things will just get better from here on out. You can pick up your 16 lb-er, go to the park, run, jump.. you just need to be aware of HOW to do it. Pretty soon you might even look at your prolapse as a blessing in disguise for all the positive changes that healing it with WW work has brought about.

Since my last physio appointment I feel my symptoms more. Part of the exam was for me to bare down and push so I thought maybe this is why I felt worse. Can I expect some days for the muscles to be strong and other days for things to be weak without worrying that I am going downhill? Are there things I should avoid doing during an exam?

Hi mama - Prolapses are in a constant state of flux. Lots of obvious things (straining, bad lifting) can make things worse, and plenty of not-so-obvious things too. Which is why it's so important to learn and maintain posture all the time. And why it's so important not to let setbacks discourage you. You could go to 5 different practitioners and get 5 different diagnoses! If you choose to go to a PT and submit to an exam, then yes, I suppose some of what you are asked to do might not feel great.