What about footwear

Body: 

Hi Everyone I have a question which may sound silly. I have been wondering about wearing high heeled shoes and wether this will affect my WW posture. Should I be wearing flat shoes all of the time, Most of the time or does this really matter. I wear shoes with a small heel while at work and sometimes stillettos on the weekend when going out. I am very willing to change to flat shoes if this will help with the prolapse.

Forum:

Well, feet are extremely important in all of this, though I can’t remember offhand if high heels are specifically addressed in the book. Might need Christine or one of the teachers to give us the real lowdown on this. Personally, I never EVER wear anything but flats, and can’t imagine trying to learn or maintain WW posture in stilettos. Also I get foot cramps if I try to wear heels for any length of time, I found that out years ago, long before prolapse. But that’s just me…..

Hi Aussie52,
I'm so glad you asked this question. It's not a silly at all. Given that many women wear heels it's an important question and one that a lot of women ask. Basically shoes do make a difference and it does matter. Humans evolved walking barefoot. The form and function of the feet and legs are affected by how we walk and the shoes we wear. High heels throws both form and function of the feet, legs, spinal alignment and posture. It basically throws the structure out of kilter which can set up adverse tensions and problems not only in the feet and legs but cause problems elsewhere such as pelvic organ support, spinal alignments etc.
So personally I basically don't wear heels and I advice everyone not to wear heels and to wear comfortable, shoes for normal feet, shoes. There are plenty of lovely shoes around. I find they are generally more expensive, but mine also generally last for years.
Some women swear by - is MBR or something like that shoes, that look slightly curved underneath and are mean to mimic naked feet. I don't have any but my friends who do love them. Another friend of mine wears a sandal which has little dividing thongs between each toes to help the toes spread.
With the WW work and healthy shoes you may find your feet spread and grow a bit. So be prepared to go up a size. Do bear in mind that underneath many a beautiful fashion shoe are not so beautiful toes and feet!
Healthy feet are beautiful feet!
Well - you did ask! :) xwholewomanuk

Hi Aussie 52

I have gradually removed all my high heels from my wardrobe because my feet would rather be flat, and I think we are 'designed' to wear flat shoes, if we have to wear shoes at all.

Having said that, I purchased a lovely comfy pair of cowbody boots when I was in the USA for the Conference. They an extra wide fitting, but they do have 2 inch cuban heel. I can wear them comfortably all day, and have walked miles in them, but I am aware that my posture in them is different, all the way up to the top of my head. I can walk for long periods in them, but I wouldn't want to be standing around in them for long periods. My preferred summer shoe is flip flops, either fancy or plain old rubber, double pluggers. My preferred winter footwear is Ug boots, but I am prepared to go for leather, elastic sided work boots for outdoors, or gumboots for mud, or my slip-on or laceup Rockports for work or going to town. I have one pair of good heels in case I have to meet the Queen, or go somewhere posh, where acting like a lady, is my only role. This last pair are in mint condition for very good reasons. They only come out about once a year.

Louise

Hi Louise,
Are those "lady" shoes red?
A note of interest - a few hundred yrs ago MEN used to wear stocking & high heels to show off their legs!! The wife of Bath in the Canterbury Tales chose I think husband number 7 this way!!

I like comfy lace - ups etc & have a Homy -Ped pair of court shoes with a heel, which come out rarely also. I have though, for years, bought shoes either with inner foot arch support or used ortho - inserts, because flat shoes make the soles of my feet ache, if I wear them all day...( actually I still get aching feet some days ( before WWP) & will be using the baton to massage)

With Christine's exercise programs which emphasize the strengthening & redevelopment of the foot arch, I'm presuming that flat shoes won't make the soles of my feet ache as much anymore???
Yet another benefit of WWP!!
Aussie Soul Sister

Hi Louise,
I remeber those cowboy boots Louise - and I have to say you did look good in them, aided and assisted by the big smile on your face when you were wearing them! Ok - fair enough, maybe I'm being a bit hard line. A bit of fun, power, love of shoes sometimes ... ; )
Hi Aussie soul sister, yes I would think your feet will feel less achy as the feet and arches, strengthen and re-devolop.
Happy shoes!
xwholewomanuk

:-)

Aussie Soul sister, I hope you are right. Christine said a few months ago, something along the lines of, "If something is good for one part of your body, then it has to be good for your whole body." Sounds true to me. Hope the feet will feel better. If only it were as simple as just changing your shoes!

ps, I passed on the red boots. They were $800!!! I lie in bed at night, softly whimpering to myself about them, and thinking about robbing banks. ;-)

Louise

I always prefer to flat shoes if I feel the need to wear heels then I wear just miner heel.
I can't wear high heel for a long time..........