Old fashioned way of treating uterine prolapse

Body: 

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of this. I was asking my 85 year old grandmother if she'd ever had a prolapse, she said yes in fact she did after the birth of her fourth (she's had seven, all at home). What did she do about it? The midwife had her lie down flat on her back, then sitting on the ground face to face with my grandmother, she grabbed her hands, and with the heel of her right foot she literally shoved her uterus upwards. I thought it sounded funny and ridiculous but apparently this was how they took care of things back in the day. Also I have a dear friend who comes from Pakistan, she is older, nearing  seventy, and she told me that was the same way they did things in Karachi. In fact there is a midwife sought out for her skills in this specifically.

My grandmother had a hysterectomy years ago (didn't want to deal with the premenopause adieu bleeding) so the state of her uterus is a non issue now, but my friend has had the heel-jammed-up-her-abdomen-thing done once (it is painless when done properly, btw) and she says she does not have prolapse but that she avoids lifting heavy things. She is very active and still sits, squats, sleeps on the floor.

I know something jammed or shoved into place is bound to come back down, or fall backwards, rather, eventually if  gravity and internal pressure force it to do that, but I found it very interesting, if not a little entertaining, to learn how women took care of things back in the day (and still do!).

When I asked my friend about other forms of prolapse she said something that seemed to intuitively make sense - if the uterus is pushed up to it's rightful place, that would probably return the other organs to where they should be. So apparently the uterus prolapse is the mother of all prolapses - barring surgically induced prolapses? - take care of it and the others are taken care of...

Thoughts?

Chickaboom, I found this to be very interesting. Kinda makes me want to do some research on the old fashion way of taking care of uterine prolapse. Makes me wonder about the number of ladies back in the day who had POP. I'm trying to imagine exactly how they did it and suprised that it is painless. It sounds painful.
Jaylove

I went in for my Well Woman examine yesterday and to find out what was falling out. I thought it would be my bladder, but oh no it is my uterus. Doctor said it is not an emergency to have surgery, but eventually I will need it. I can feel it trying to fall out. I had hopes that the exercises from WW would definitely make a difference. I have only begun to do them, but not sure I really believe they are going to bring the uterus back up. Has anyone had real life experience with Uterus prolapse and success with these exercises? I feel a little uneasy about everything as I do not like scare tactic information to get people to do things and feel that somewhat on here with the information of all the bad stuff that happens when one has surgery. I am just a little unraveled at the moment and really need some support of positive outcome for many others using Christine Kent's methods. Any of you out there that are living proof of what it can do and has and is doing for you with the uterus prolapse would be very much appreciated. I am trying to decide at this time which avenue to take, surgery or continued exercise. The prospect of having to do hours of maintenance each day just to keep things from falling out is not a pretty one.

Hi Mudpie. It doesn’t really matter which prolapses you have, Whole Woman work is the best solution out there. If you are still considering surgery despite the information, first-hand accounts and success stories that are ALL OVER this forum, then you need to take a step back for a minute. We aren’t talking about “hours of maintenance a day”. We’re talking about re-training your body EVERY waking hour of EVERY day, until it becomes second nature. You might see results next week, or maybe not until next year. It’s your body…..help is here if you choose to accept it, but the commitment is completely yours to make.

Wondering if this thread can be deleted please? I just realized newcomers might stumble upon my post and become a bit confused about how they need to treat their prolapse.

I am feeling a little less emotional today and have decided to try the posture training,exercise, and all for a few months and see if I notice any changes or helps. I have looked at a little more stories on the forum, so will continue. It is good to read about sisters issues and how it has helped them, gives one more hope. Sorry to have been such a blubbering, negative poster for the first time. I am going forth and giving it a real try.

You don't need to apologize. You're feeling distressed at your newly discovered condition. We've all been there, trust me. And you want some reassurance that doing this work will help. I don't have a primary uterine prolapse but maybe some of the people who do could come and post about their experiences and what sort of results they are getting, to help MudPieGrandma along her journey.

(((MudPieGrandma)))

I agree with Jaylove that the thread is interesting. I kinda doubt anyone will give it a try, but even so...why not? (although I didn't quite understand just where the heel went and how the positioning worked - lol)

What it brings up for me is that midwives must've seen this all the time and there were probably a thousand natural remedies out there. We tend to think we are so much better off living in the surgical age, which may be true in some respects, but I bet women-of-yore would be horrified at hysterectomy and all related surgeries. Let me know if you still object to the thread.

No, leave this thread here, it's great reading. I believe it was just random that MudPieGrandma picked this spot to add her story. It happens! - S60

Drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea all day long for two weeks solved my long standing prolapse problems.
But not good to drink if pregnant

What are you talking about Lilbird?