workouts for the not so nimble

Body: 

I am wondering if I can do the beginners part 1 workout with straight legs - I am not able to sit cross legged and the leaning forward while sitting on my heels - well - the pain stops me doing this -makes it impossible to do the round rolling bit too - I have ordered the book and have the dvd - wonder if the book gives more gentle exercises?? Maybe I should have sent the dvd back and got the one I originlly wanted?? Does anyone have the elders version that they can advise what sort of exercises are in it??? elcie

Forum:

Elcie - sitting with legs straight out in front is one of the variations of good WW seated posture that Christine advocates - you will see this in the book and video. The important thing is to sit using the strength of your spine, and not slump. Once you understand and observe posture principles, any modification that you need to make to any exercise is fine. - Surviving

Hi Elcie

Surviving60 is right. Many variations are possible. Sitting with feet out the front might work for you. I have just watched First Aid for Prolapse for Elders again, and it might be a better starter for you. The exercises are done standing, lying on your back, on hands and knees, and sitting in a straight backed chair. Anyone, save a woman who is unable to sit upright unaided, could do these exercises.

However, if you want to persevere with the video you have, just keep in mind that these are primarily exercises for the torso and the hip joints, not the legs. If you can find ways to sit that enable you to get the same strengthening and stretching of muscles, and a similar range of movement with your mid torso, then do that.

When we had our prac week for our WW teacher training we did the exercises in a variety of positions, from sitting flat on a yoga mat, cross-legged, adding a folded blanket, adding a big, flat cushion, then a thicker, smaller, firm cushion, plus sticking smaller cushions in different places to support or take weight off sore ankles, etc. One of the trainee teachers found that sitting on a stool about a foot high worked for her, because she was unable to sit cross legged. The aim of these aids is to enable us to do the exercises, not to show off how flexible and strong we are. We need to be able to exercise to our capacity, not compete with ourselves and suffer. We are not Jane Fonda!!! ;-)

All the videos are previewed on Youtube, so you can compare them to a degree and ensure that you buy the correct video for your needs. You could email the Wholewoman Store and ask if you can exchange it. Not sure what they will say. If I was otherwise fit and healthy I think I would keep First Aid for Prolapse and buy the Elders version, because you will almost certainly become stronger and more flexible by doing the Elders video, and you might want to add some more demanding exercises from first Aid for prolapse later.

If you can get to a WholewomanTeacher I would thoroughly recommend a personal consultation. Even after using WW posture myself for the last eight years I received many postural hints from Christine during our Prac week. All the Trainee Teachers went home with new adjustments to our own posture, and a new awareness of how we can help women adjust their posture.

Louise