my posture update

Body: 

Hi Sisters,
Using what I know about posture from reading everything here, I stood comfortably for around 2hrs at a function after a movie, & didn't get backache!!
The movie theater seats were interesting in that they had pronounced lower back support, however leaning back as well - if anything more uncomfortable for men!!
Recall standing for 4hrs recently in my old posture thinking that I would protect my back even though it was protesting & tired by the end..frustrating to say the least!!
What a turn around!!! Thankyou 3x +!!!
ASS

Forum:

You are really getting this. Wish I had gotten it sooner than I did. I spent months reading and dabbling at posture, without getting really serious about exercise, walking, firebreathing, and really just generally sticking with it 24/7. Once I kicked things up a notch or two, the results came SO much faster. It was life-changing. Thanks for sharing, this is what helps keep others on track. - Surviving

Hi Soul Sis

Yes, theatre seats that lean back are frustrating, even if they have good lumbar support. They make us crane the head forward unless they are the high-backed, 'up the back with a glass of wine and room service' type. When you crane your head forward it sinks the chest and increases the thoracic curve of the spine, so the lumbar support is really necessary to keep the lumbar curve in place. If they lean back far enough I don't think it really matters. It is just like lying down, with gravity acting through the spine, rather than the pelvic wall/floor. If you are relaxed, and not generating a lot of extra intraabdominal pressure it is not going to undo your progress in a couple of hours. On the other hand, if it is a really funny play or movie, it could be a different matter.

I usually take my trusty lumbar support cushion anywhere that I know I am going to be sitting in fixed, and unfamiliar seating for a long period. I can use it in lots of different ways to improve my spinal support and general comfort, or just stash it on the floor if it is no help on the seat.

Louise

Hi Louiseds & Surviving 60,
Thanks for your replies: We were so close to the movie screen that I was glad of head support,the lumber support on the seats was very pronounced. It was a funny movie in parts!!
I visited old friends this week & had to sit on a church pew - I was the only one with the correct posture & I hate crossing my legs as "nice as it looks" - next time I will use a cushion to sit on!! These pews have huge gaps in the back of them.
( sitting brings to mind photos of dressed fashion models sitting forward with their legs wide open!!!) I'm going to make some lovely skirts & flowing trousers & have been gravitating toward the beautiful cotton relaxed Indian style clothes for Summer.
Recalling I spent quite a while standing afterwards & again no backache - cool!!!
Where do you get these cushions from - some cars don't have very good seats in them, though newer car - seats seem to be better designed - I used to get backache & now I know I wasn't a woos!!!
Have a great WWP day -Love from Soul Sister

My car has a simple hi density foam wedge on the seat, under the car seat cover. This makes the driver's seat horizontal. I had to trim the sides to accommodate the profile of the seat. I purchased it from the foam shop. They are sold for people who have hip replacement surgery, for use in the first few weeks post-surgery.

My back rest is a cheapie from the auto parts shop. One of the women at the WW conference purchased one in Albuquerque for $12. I have sewn an adjustable, webbing strap on mine, so I can hang it from a head restraint at the right height, or over my shoulder, or over a suitcase handle. The clip can be undone and the long end tucked inside the zipper. The whole cover can be removed for laundering.

Some women find that a hot water bottle works well as a back rest because its volume can be adjusted. You can fill it with water or air.

You can also buy much larger lumbar cushions but I find them too prescriptive of my posture and they are too big to cart around easily. If you have one at home you can cut it down to the size and shape you want with a finely serrated bread knife, and re-sew the cover to match its new size and shape. The covers of the expensive ones are often very durable fabric so the effort is worthwhile. Actually, I left my first one on a train somewhere in Victoria a couple of months ago. My current one is one I used after a back injury nearly thirty years ago, that I discovered covered in dust and dirt and worse, still down in the back shed. After a heavy wash and some unpicking, heavy trimming and re-sewing it is better than the original!

Louise