Yoga Question

Body: 

I was doing some yoga with my kids yesterday and there was a series of downward facing dog and upward facing dog. You go back and forth between the two. It was a great core workout. But then I started to worry that I shouldn't be doing that. I'm not able to get Christine's yoga DVD yet but I want to be able to do SOME yoga.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Forum:

High spirits, I'm not the yoga expert, but I'll have to do until one comes along! Anything that you can do in WW posture is probably OK. This means that the belly is relaxed and not tightened; the butt is not tucked; the lumbar curve is in place, and the body is not being held at an obtuse angle that exerts the wrong kind of pressure on the pelvic contents. Remember that traditional yoga considers the "core" to be the abdomen, which is true for men but not women; our true core is in our hips and sacrum. Hope I said that right.

I had seen someone post about it awhile ago but I can only find that ONE post about upward facing dog. And in that post she said that it helped her tremendously. It doesn't stick to the WW posture and that's why I was concerned. Maybe I need to find a way to get the yoga DVD! lol

Hello Dear High Spirits
In the Prolapse DVD there is a move that is much like upward facing dog. It moves between child pose and sort-of upward dog a few times. Then in the First Wheel, Christine does do a down dog (I think this is where I saw it). I believe she also says that this is okay in the Surviving Book (both the down dog and the forward bend). In both moves, you are not engaged in an obtuse angle. You are either in a backward stretch position (which is part of the prolapse dvd but in another form) or you are in less than an acute angle. I am not long in this, but I believe these positions are okay and quite beneficial to over-all health as well. Best of luck to you!

That helps a lot! I really need to look into those yoga DVDs. Just not sure which one!

Hi high spirits,
I'm a yoga teacher and say with confidence that yes both these postures are great for WW. I would exhale into downward dog and inhale into upward dog, if you're doing them dynamically. I agree full wih what MsNightingale and Surviving 60 have said.
I follow all 3 WW dvd's and find doing a practice significantly helps me to be mainly symptom free from prolapse. I've found them a great investment in my health. There was some helfpul advice on the website re which dvd may be most appropriate for you.
Happy WW yoga!
xwholewomanuk

That makes me feel so much better! As I was doing it, it felt great and like a really good exercise, but then my mind always turns to, "Is it good for me?" Thanks for making me at ease :-)