Hello!! (MissKalypso's topic)

Body: 

This topic was first written by MissKalypso on 19 June 2012. I accidentally deleted it. Sorry, MissKalypso <:-> I did copy it into a document and the text of it and its replies is posted below. Feel free to take it up again.

(This is what happens when Members post in the Housekeeping Forum, when the topic is not about Forum Housekeeping. Then I come along and try and move them all to the correct Forum, and mess it all up.)

If you do post a new Topic in the Housekeeping by mistake, please edit your Topic and say, "Moderators, please move this Topic to the correct Forum". OK? And we'll fix it.

Louise ...

Hello!
Primary tabs
View(active tab)
Edit
Track
Submitted by MissKalypso on June 6, 2012 - 5:49pm
Body:
Just thought I'd introduce myself! I'm a 31 year old Aussie with 3 little tackers. My kids are nearly 3 1/2, nearly 2, and 4 months old. When I was 1st trimester pregnant with DS2, I had a massive sneezing attack, and ended up with a cystocele. All my doctor actually told me at the time was that I had a 'prolapse'. I didn't even know there was more than one kind! The only advice I received from my doctor was, don't do pelvic floor exercises (kegals) for a while, and just take it easy & lie down as much as possible.
I first came across Christine's site via an unassisted birth forum, where they first told me that kegals were wrong in the way we traditionally do them. I got totally confused at how I was then supposed to do them. And stayed that way for ages. But the main thing I learnt was don't bother :P
During that 2nd pregnancy I had absolutely shocking stress incontinence. I remember having to change my clothes 5 times in one day. I was so depressed & felt I couldn't leave the house. Soooooo, I got angry. I believe God made our bodies, and I thought it was completely and utterly rediculous that we were made to give birth - so why, after doing this God given function, were all of a sudden our bodies broken, and we had to do stupid exercises every day, just so that we would have a reasonable quality of life??? It just made no sense! So I started researching, and voila! Here I am! I haven't done a kegal in years (well, what feels like years - actually, it probably would be 2 years now!) and I've only wet myself 4 times since (and I've had 1 1/2 babies since that day!)
Admins: I attempted to join the forum a couple of years ago, and again a couple of weeks ago, but I believe there must be some kind of communication issue between my email provider & your forum providers. I am able to receive your newsletters though. The email address is ... @ internode.on.net if that helps at all.
I created a blog post about 6 months ago regarding pelvic health and it has been shared on facebook 137 times! I'd love to get your opinion on it and if there is anything I should change. https://misskalypso.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/incontinenceprolapsepelvicf...
At the moment my prolapse has good days & bad days. My 1st aid dvd arrived about 2 weeks ago, and it was so exciting (sorry if this is tmi!), but my hubby and I were able to have pain-free sex for the first time in aaaages! Woohoo!
I struggle with the firebreathing that I'm doing it right, and the nauli... Nah... not a chance. I checked out that video on youtube... I don't think I've got that many stomach muscles!!!
I look forward to getting to know all of you ladies more over the coming days, weeks, months & years! :)
Forum:
Pelvic Health
Housekeeping - Read me first
381 reads
louiseds
June 6, 2012 - 8:30pm
MissKalypso's blog
Hi MissKalypso
Quite a positive story, eh? Yes, the second pregnancy can precipitate some very unusual events. I guess this is because during the first pregnancy the body hasn't already been stretched out. Second time around it can be a totally different story!
Nice blog entry. I am so glad that you have found Wholewoman techniques useful. Thanks for doing your bit towards getting the word out. Hope more of your readers end up here as well.
There is nothing more frustrating for me than to hear that a woman has just had a repair operation, or worse, a hysterectomy as well, just for prolapse. At least if women know that this site exists and that it is possible to get your life back, they can avail themselves of the knowledge that we learn here and learn how they can improve prolapse symptoms dramatically. Unless women like you write about it, and we all endeavour to let other women know, it will remain our little secret.
This secret is meant for sharing, baby!
I will email you with my Admin hat on, and see if we can sort out the email problem.
Best wishes
Louise
delete
edit
alemama
June 7, 2012 - 10:37am
hey hey
so unassisted then?
I'll check out the blog
delete
edit
MissKalypso
June 7, 2012 - 11:58am
Unassisted
Yup DS1, hospital birth, born at 38 weeks, 62 hrs from waters breaking to birth, over 50 hrs of contractions, induction, episiotomy, nuchal cord they cut before he was born, breathing issues... ya, not a great birth.
DS2, accidental unassisted, born at 39w4d, 2 hrs of 'decent' contractions - not painful, just full on. 20 minutes from when I thought I should probably head into hospital. :) 2nd deg tear.
DD, born at 41w,5d!! planned midwife assisted home waterbirth, 10 hr labour, nearly 2 hrs of my body pushing her out (not me, I just went along for the ride). She had a big 36cm head (even though her brother's was 37cm!) :P 1st deg tear. The midwife was very hands off.
#4 coming in about 15-17 months or so? Will be another planned homebirth, but I'll see how unassisted I can make that homebirth. :)
Yes, I went on the unassisted birth forums to build up my faith in our God-given birth-giving bodies, and in the whole process. I thought there was probably things I could improve on seeing DS1's birth was so ordinary. How right I was!
Anyone else here had unassisted births? Planned or otherwise.
delete
edit
alemama
June 8, 2012 - 1:10am
unassisted
My first two were born at a free standing birth center.
Third was a midwife assisted home birth.
Last two were born unassisted at home.
delete
edit
Gumboots
June 29, 2012 - 9:50am
unassisted ; cord pulling
My first was born in water at a free standing birth centre - in Japan. In the words of the midwives, "We did nothing". My second was born in water at home - in Japan; planned for midwife to be there, but we left it late to call and she arrived 5 mins after birth. Placenta arrived 2+ hours later. Midwife cleaned up the floor! So I suppose I didn't plan for complete 'unassistance', but I didn't take any assistance for birthing babies.
I notice there have been discussions previously on cord pulling. It is standard practice in Australian hospitals, to hold a hand on the womb while maintaining gentle traction on the cord. I remember being disappointed to see in a book about a homebirth that the midwife tugged on the cord too. It seems to be standard practice in Japan also. I specifically requested none of this with both my births but come the time, due to cultural attitudes, my requests were ignored and a massage with traction was started. Luckily I found strength to resist this and made them stop immediately. The placentas came away in their own time (45 mins and 2+ hours) but with the second one, when I could feel it had come away and was sitting in my vagina. I was taking a breath ready to push it out, when the midwife tugged it out. I was rather pissed off that she took that from me, especially after so much talk about that specific thing. I'm grateful that it had already come away from the uterus though. I think there's always something that one wishes were different. And doesn't that make you want to give birth again, just to do it 'perfectly'?!
delete
edit