Rectocele Repair Issue?

Body: 

Hey all,

I am 6 days post op on a rectocele repair ( grade 1) and a hydro distention of my bladder to diagnose IC. I had a foley catheter when returning home the evening of surgery that I was instructed to keep in for 48 hours then remove. I removed it after about 35 because it was too uncomfortable. The posterior side of my vagina looks good due to the repair but now I'm noticing a prolapsed looking area on my anterior wall, almost resembling a urethrocele or some mass of moderate swelling. This was non existent before the surgery.

I'm wondering if the hydro distention and catheter may have caused a large amount of swelling hence what I see, or if another problem has come about because of the surgery. Anyone else experience this? Thanks all:)

Hi Nibbles and welcome. We know that surgery to fix one part of the vagina can often have negative effects on other parts. Some women do have other problems manifesting themselves after surgery. It's one of the reasons that we hope all women will consider natural methods for coping with prolapse before taking the surgical route, from which there is no return. That being said, 6 days is mighty early post-op and I'm sure you have tons of changes and healing ahead of you. Take it easy and get all the help you can! I haven't had any surgery but hopefully you will get some other opinions on here. Good luck and take good care of yourself! - Surviving

Hi Nibbles,
Welcome. There are not many women here with repair experience. I am one whom sadly did not discover the site until after surgery. That said not every surgery leads to negative outcomes, but sadly a lot do.....I can attest to that.

My anterior repair surgery failed at 5weeks, even though according to two doctors " the repair seems to be holding well". Yeah everything looks good when lying down!

As surviving 60 said, 6 days post op is quite early. It could just be swelling.
It is however common that once one wall is repaired, iit now has room for the other wall to fall in.

Post operatively I did show evidence of a urethrocele and rectocele, but they have both improved and I don't have symptoms of either, just my old friend cystocele!!!!, which is proving more stubborn.

Search the site and learn what you can about WWposture. Given you have already experienced some prolapse it would be wise to learn all you can about preventing/managing any further prolapse.
The further we can stay away from the surgeons knife the better....that is the only way they know.
Regards
Lindy

Just curious Aussielou (as my name attests!), have you made it clear to the surgeons that the surgery has failed? I don't necessarily mean in a jumping up and down way (although not ruling that out either!), but I'm just wondering, if someone asked your surgeon what the success rate of this surgery was, would they definitely put yours in the failed basket? Do they only examine you lying down?? Do they know why it has failed?

Don't answer if this is too personal or you feel like you've put it behind you, but I'm just asking because it seems quite astonishing and upsetting that the surgery could fail after 5 weeks and for the surgeons be ok with that.

Here's hoping it all improves! For all of us really!

hey Nibbles,

did you get diagnosed with IC?

Hi Curiousity,
I don't mind the question, not too personal, but the answer emotion charged. And you are right in some ways I have put it behind me.
I have never been back to the operating surgeon, he did refer me to a urogynocologist for a second opinion - a female doc I have now visited twice. Her report basically says the anterior wall repair was well supported, and she noted the posterior wall showing some laxity..so to answer your question no neither doctor acknowledges the failure of the operation. I believe they stick together and to be honest believe what they want to believe. My anxiety was significant when this all occurred, and it irritates me that the female doc points to this, basically inferring it was in my head.

In my last consult we just discussed my progress, and she said she could examine me if I wished, but acknowledged I know my body better than anybody else. I did not want an examination as I had no wish to bear down and compromise any progress I have made. We discussed the use of a pessary, and have put that on the back burner for another 6 months. To her credit she was not advocating surgery in any way.
I previously started a letter that I would like to send to the hospital and doctor, and I might get to that. My daughters friend's mum is one of the heads of nursing at the hospital in question, and she encourages me to put my thoughts in writing. She is personally disappointed at my experience.
I don't want the letter I write to point fingers and lay blame, (because ultimately I blame myself...tearing up now), but I do want them to know the consequences of these surgeries and how there should be more emphasis on discussion of options, and what it means when you fall into the category of surgeries that fail. You know they have these standard medical information sheets they go through with you, pointing out the risks but they don't really DISCUSS them. They just point it out to cover their legal arse.
So there you go, i don't think about it too much because it can just eat you up, and I want to focus on getting my prolapse to a manageable point. Life is much better. I function pretty well, but there are so many things I choose not to do, because I know I am not physically up to it. Then again...daily in the community I see other people dealing with really challenging issues, I think yo myself how lucky I am.
I am mobile, I have three gorgeous (most of the time) children, and a husband who continues to love and support me. So I must just get on with it :)
Lindy

Thank you. I find it upsetting and perplexing (on behalf of you and all women in your position) that the follow-up is so poor. I can't see how statistics on these ops can even be gathered if they don't elicit the information in the first place. Anyway I'd support you in writing the letter when and if you feel strong enough. (Even though I don't think it should be your responsibility to give this feedback. It should be sought from you and from every other patient, so that surgeons have a realistic picture of the results).

You have a wonderful attitude and thanks again for sharing.

(((Aussielou)))

Thanks Aussielou, your generous sharing of your story can help other women make their decisions about surgery and the alternatives. And helps us all put our problems into prospective. Prolapse, with or without post-surgical complications, does not define any of us. It's just another thing that we deal with, and everyone has something. When we look around and see women dealing with problems much more complicated and severe than prolapse, keep in mind that they may have prolapse too! - Surviving

You said it so well. after finding this site I am much happier. just knowing that other women have it and there are ways to cope did wonders for my outlook on my life and how I want to live it.

I have changed my diet, began walking, working on posture , treating my body with natural alternatives, destressing !!!! these last four weeks have changed my life!!!

thank you WW and the ladies that reach out to one another!!!,

Help! I do OK with a pessary but was diagnosed with an ulcer that healed after three weeks of antibiotics and no pessary. Now the pessary seems to be causing more bleeding. Haven't been back to the doc (last visit around 3 weeks ago) but am frustrated. He offered me premarin cream but I refused and now think I might try that. Anybody had experience with this problem and what to do?

Hi,
When I was first diagnosed with a cystocele, I freaked out and went to see a urologist right away. The MD suggested surgery and I signed up. Two of my colleagues had recently had urological sling surgeries for "leaking." They had quick recoveries, so urological surgery seemed like an easy fix for my problem. In preparation for the surgery the urologist prescribed Estrace vaginal cream to help strengthen my vaginal wall. I think I used it at least 3x/ week. It really helped the vaginal dryness I had been experiencing even before my cyctocele diagnosis! Fortunately, I found the WW site and cancelled the surgery, but continued to use the Estrace cream. After a while, I did try discontinuing the Estrace, but started taking it again after a few weeks because the vaginal dryness returned. I talked to my gynecologist about getting a pessary, and she said I would need to increase the dosage of Estrace to prevent tissue erosion from the pressure of the pessary. I didn't want to do that, so I declined the pessary. I asked about the risks of using Estrace, and my gynecologist did a test to see if my vaginal wall was getting too thick from the medication- a warning sign, I guess. The test was negative. I was still concerned, so I cut back on my dose. Now I only use the Estrace 1x, sometimes 2x/ week. I tend to have a headache on the day after I insert the cream, but other than that, I haven't had any problems. I still have some reservations though, so I plan to try the honey treatment that Christine has recommended. Since I'm newly back to the forum, I want to read about the experiences others have had with using honey.

Yes I was diagnosed with IC

Hi Vicki3 and welcome - Antibiotics can do a number on your system, and estrogen creams are what doctors think they have to give you to "build up" the walls I guess. I say, shelve the pessary, get some natural soothing salve to use, and start working on Whole Woman posture. If you can give us more background on your prolapse issues, we can make other suggestions. For instance, do you have all your organs, and have you had any other repairs done? - Surviving

Hi Norann and welcome. If you are getting a headache from Estrace, your body might be trying to tell you something. My niece experienced flashing lights in one eye from taking a low-dose birth control pill. She went off one, tried another, and the same thing happened. So she is off of them, forever.

There are plenty of reasons to be wary of hormones; this post isn't about all that. But I think if using hormones outrightly causes symptoms, that shouldn't be ignored. In my niece's case, I believe it's connected with an increased risk for heart attack and stroke. - Surviving

Hi Norann, I am a believer in the honey for vaginal dryness. I use it and it works wonderfully. You just need a pea-size bit of raw, local honey applied high in the vagina twice a day give the best results. Honey calls in the microflora, which normalize vaginal tissues - resolving burning, itching and dryness. Best wishes to you.

Jaylove

Hi Aussielou

My heart goes out to you, trying to take what action you can to put your less than satisfactory surgical repair to bed, so you can get on with your life. I would encourage you to write to the hospital and tell them what has happened. If they have it in writing, then they have it on record. If you don't write, they will never find out, and will be less likely to reexamine their policies. Think how the outcome for you might have been different, had other women written and complained!

Don't be scared to write it and rewrite it, leaving a few days between versions. Letters like this need mulling over, so that you express the appropriate amount of objective facts with your emotional response for flavour. It may be hard emotionally to follow through to the end, but I think you will be relieved when you finally post it, or click on Send, as you will have struck a blow for women who know no more than you did before they assent to surgery.

I am so proud of you, not caving in and vowing to lead the rest of your life as a pity party.

(((Aussielou)))

Thanks ladies, for the words of support, and for the encouragement. The undertanding from this community is not something we women with POP get wlsewhere.
Louise, you are right, my letter may help other women, and I will keep plugging away at it.

Nibbles,
I have been meaning to get back to you with some thoughts about IC.
Late last year I was having all sorts of discomfort, test after test showed no UTI, yet the symptoms were similar to Uti with added pelvic pain. My GP started suggesting it might be IC.

Now I don't know how conclusive testing is for IC because I have never had the testing done, and I dont know much about it...but retrospectively I can tell you that I KNOW I just had a very nasty UTI, and that my bladder stayed quite irritable for about 2 months. during that time I did everything I could to help soothe my bladder and give it time to heal.
Soothing teas to drink included goldenrod tea, corn silk tea, fennel tea. Eliminating irritants was important also. I was so desperate I even gave up chocolate!!

As I said I don't know how conclusive your testing is, but sometimes doctors arrive at these diagnosis' simply because nothing else seems likely.
I can imagine how distressing the diagnosis is, so maybe give yourself time to see if this might just be some nasty inflammation left behind from a uti that will take time to heal if you do everything you can to soothe the area.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Lindy

Could you explain what IC if that is ok??
Thanks - Soul Sis!!

.....I think?

Don't be scared to write it and rewrite it, leaving a few days between versions. Letters like this need mulling over, so that you express the appropriate amount of objective facts with your emotional response for flavour. It may be hard emotionally to follow through to the end, but I think you will be relieved when you finally post it, or click on Send, as you will have struck a blow for women who know no more than you did before they assent to surgery.

Brilliantly said as always Louise. Aussielou, I am happy to help you write the letter if that would be useful. We could swap details if Louise's offer is still open...

jaylove, Hi,

Re the honey you use. Any particular brand? Where do you purchase it? Do you apply it using the same kind of applicator one uses to insert Estrogen cream? Do you also apply it to the outer labia of the vaginal area?

sevilla

Hi Sevilla - Using honey is pretty simple, you can just take your finger and apply a dab once or twice a day, as far up as you can get. The closer to the opening you are, the messier it's going to get, but if you can deal with that, go for it! I think any type of honey is good, preferably raw unprocessed honey grown locally. - Surviving

Has anyone tried the sea sponges instead of pessaries? They sound interesting, but I would be concerned about removal. Don't guess they'd get lost though!!!

Good morning jaylove,
When ever anyone of you talk about applying honey or any type of ointment you always say apply it high in the vagina okay I understand but in my case and I'm sure alot of the woman who are members of this wonderful Forum have Pop's that hang out do we have to push it in to put it high up in the vagina? and just where in the vagina is high up? Please explain do want to do it right.
Mahalo and lots of Aloha,
Heavenlyflower

Hi Vicki3 - there are a number of members who have used or tried sponges; some do OK with them, others find they are irritating or just don't help. You can use the search box above left to look for discussions. - Surviving

Hi Heavenly Flower, Just spread it gently over your uterus where it is hanging out to begin with and around the cervix.

Hi Heavenly Flower,
I guess it also varies according to what feels comfortable for each woman. I manage a uterine prolapse - and on those days when my cervix has descended, I usually gently push my cervix back up to the top of the vagina as far as it will comfotably go, which for me is by/above the pubic bones, using my index finger. So I think if I was applying honey I would gently push up my cervix first.

I think you could gently experiment with what feels comfortabel and works for you.
Best of luck, xwholewomanuk