Update for seated (cello) position and advice to relax belly

Body: 

Hello Dear Lovely Ladies,
I am ever so grateful to all of you who helped me in finding a better seated posture for cello playing and teaching. I have been working with all of your suggestions. They have helped enormously. I am seated in a relatively high chair with good turn-out from the hips. Knees balanced with direction of feet, chest lifted (trying to tuck chin enough to have crown of head uplifted). I have made some modifications to my cello so that it isn't so heavy leaning against me and that along with the lumbar curve in place is really helping. My symptoms no longer worsen when playing as long as I can keep relaxed. There is so much hope now! I am also tasting a little feeling that if I can indeed accomplish the relaxed belly part, then my playing will actually get better. I am trying to relax the belly at all times and when I am thinking that constantly, it almost works. When I get wrapped into the music however, I have noticed that my whole belly area and abdomen are tense and tight. I have noticed this in almost everything I do, if it is emotionally engaging. I know that by constantly making it THE priority, it is getting better, but sometimes it just tightens up there without me knowing until time has passed. The symptoms worsen then. Has anyone out there experienced this? How do all of you deal with the tenseness of the belly? I am confident it will come but just thought I would ask in case any of you know a little secret. Thank you all for being there.

Forum:

This is something I struggled with for a very long time, and even now I'm not completely immune to the effects of creeping tension. Dealing with a cello while trying to perfect WW posture is a whole 'nother level of multitasking though! I salute you! Just keep working on it....your level of success at this stage of the game is very heartening. - Surviving

Hi MsNightingale

I was wondering how the cello playing was progressing. That is lovely that a change of posture is making a difference.

Just remember that your belly won't be floppy while you are playing. Your upper arms will, I think, be held out somewhat from your body, and I imagine that bowing, with your hand going out and coming in will ellicit quite a bit of abdominal muscle work. But this will be different from tension.

I have heard that Feldenkrais can be really useful for musicians. Check this out, http://www.feldenkraisformusicians.com/improving.htm .

This is wonderful news, MsNightingale. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all your responses and wonderful help on the forums. I have tried to read when I can, but have been generally tied up for many weeks now.

I will try to explain what I have come to believe and practice, belly-wise. I think it is probable that the tightness and tension you describe is from contracting your abdomen. You do this automatically because your (probably reversed) breathing supports pulling the belly in - most likely on the in-breath when you are not consciously thinking about it. I'm guessing this because you, like all the rest of us, have grown up in a culture that dictates the belly be pulled in. The belly cannot stay habitually contracted without reversing natural breathing.

After practicing this work for some time, you will be forcing your belly out rather than pulling it in. Recall that this does not mean just letting the belly flop out, but pulling the abdominal wall up instead of in. There is a "proud holding" when the wall is habitually held out. We don't have to think about puffing it out, but rather intraabdominal pressure does this for us when we make natural breathing habitual. I have written about how the organs, particularly the stomach and liver, help hold natural posture when they are allowed their rightful positions out in front - not "pulled down" underneath the rib cage.

I have developed quite a bit of strength over the years, which I believe comes primarily from this "proud holding". Yes, of course the hips are primary, the sacrum/uterus the hub of the wheel and all, but it might also be a useful visualization to think of everything below the last rib as hanging from the chest. It order for it to hang right, the chest must be lifted and the area directly below puffed out. In this way, the muscles of the abdominal wall become long and very strong. I feel I could play cello all day long and never feel tension in my abdomen because I am always puffing it out instead of holding it in.

The one caveat is that you must be okay with allowing the upper torso this natural outward form. Women love to hold this area - the area right under the breasts - in. It is a narrowed, delicate look that we associate with femininity. Some women are naturally very small in this area and work hard to maintain this look. It's not a small waist I'm trying to describe, but higher - above the navel. I have verified that women who hold this area in ("tucking the ribs") develop pain in their sacral spine.

I believe this is a very important concept to get across to women and have included exercises in WWYoga3 to help expand the fascial layers on the *inside* of the abdominal wall. A woman may have a sizable belly on the outside, but it doesn't preclude her from having tight, contracted layers on the inside preventing forward movement of her lumbar spine and pelvic organs.

This area of the body is the most difficult for women to grasp in terms of postural correction, but I believe it is the key that unlocks natural, effortless female stability and movement.

Christine

I so appreciate all that you are putting into print here. I will reread it often (it takes me a while to really digest ) and yes, put it into practice. I am very excited with this journey and finding so much to be grateful for now that I have wonderful guidance. Thank you all.

Dear Louise, thank you for this link. I certainly have heard of the benefits of feldenkrais but have never explored it in depth or with a teacher. I will spend some time thanks to this link. Greatly appreciated!

Dear Ms Nightingale,
Love your "name" & your sweet nature reflects that. The next time I get my oboe out I will see what my posture does, as it needs some force to play. Usually I stand, however I will try sitting also & see what happens. I so remember tightening my abs while playing, & thinking at the time it was "good" exercise...maybe there was a blessing in disguise as I have not played for many yrs & wish to take it up again now.
I so love cello music as well - one piece comes to mind with the Cello & violin duet on the movie Master & Commander - one of my favourite soundtracks.
Happy playing in WWposture
Best wishes Aussie Soul Sister

Thank you for your lovely post. I will be curious to hear from you when you have a chance to take that oboe out. I too used to think I was doing something good when tightening up those abs. How much we have learned here! Now I am convinced that by learning to soften them and breath deeply into the tummy that is supported with our posture, we are going to be quite powerful with our instruments! Keep me posted! Very best wishes to you.

Christine, I found this description of the upper belly really interesting. I have been using the WW posture for about 1.5 years now and have discovered many interesting things ... one of which I think relates to your information here. Lately I have noticed that if I slump or slouch while sitting on the couch, I notice it right away due to an uncomfortable squashy/pressure right under my rib cage. I think that, just like you said, my abdominal wall there is now more forward instead of tucked in under my ribs, and when I don't keep my chest lifted then it is pressed downward.

I had horrible upper body posture before using WW methods, and I take this as a sign that my body has now gotten used to being in a better position, so that slouching (rounded shoulders that is) now feels wrong. Yay for that!

Just thinking of my breathe while I am sitting here makes it hard to breathe How stressed am I!!? ! I'm sure it will come the more I practice. ( One week in) Its the hope that I find so empowering! I have so much more energy because of it. I think I was feeling it was all over with this prolapse. I hope soon I can walk into my Dr.'s office and say Lookee here!! Stop suggesting surgery! Start telling women earlier when the prolapse is just starting so we can have a better chance at fixing it ourselves with Whole Woman posture!

Thanks all

You are so right! If only we knew this early on. And, sometimes I feel that too -- when we think of the breath so much it becomes hard to breathe. Hmmm. Maybe that too is stress. It is all over the place. Now we have a way to deal with it and hopefully rid ourselves of it in our mindfulness to all of this. Best wishes to you frog123.