Newbie--I have a cystocele, think it's a grade 2

Body: 

Hello,

I'm almost 36 years old, have had 6 babies (vaginally). I just realized recently that I have a cystocele. I didn't know what it was, but had actually noticed it during my 5th pregnancy (3 years ago). Something just didn't "feel right" down there. It kind of freaked me out a bit.

After the birth of our son (9 lb 13 oz) nobody noticed the cystocele, nor at my postpartum checkup. Then when I was pregnant again, I had a prenatal visit, and my new doctor (an OB) didn't say anything. I switched doctors during my pregnancy, and when I had the postpartum visit last August, my new doctor (a family-practice doctor) said something about it. She looked concerned.

She didn't give me the name "cystocele", but said I should do my Kegels, since I want to keep my uterus. (She said hysterectomies are done WAY too often--she's very holistic.) But, I felt very embarassed about the whole thing, because I'm a Bradley natural childbirth teacher and tell everybody else to do Kegels, but *I* forget to do them! I guess I felt it was my forgetfulness that caused this problem. In fact, I have held off on scheduling my yearly pelvic exam because of embarrassment that it's not any better and I keep forgetting to do my Kegels.

Anyway, after doing a bit of research online, I discovered it's a cystocele, and I am a bit horrified! It doesn't cause pain, and I don't leak urine. But it's right there at the vaginal opening, and I can kind of feel some pressure there. I believe it's gotten a little bit worse in the last month since I discovered what it really is.

I just ordered Christine's book today, so I look forward to finding out what I can do about this. And if anybody out there has any advice or encouragement, I'd appreciate that, too! Thanks! :)

kegals aren't your answer. They may strengthen you a little to prevent incontinence, but they will not do anything to hold your uterus in place. Your posture will realign your organs and provide them the stabilizing support they need. Keep your uterus until you die. :) That will prevent anything else from slipping. Removing it will create a hole where everything else will slip into.

My doctor also told me that nothing I did caused the problem, as it is strongly linked to family history. Perhaps as Christine says, lifelong posture plays a part, but I don't think failing to do Kegels is the cause of these things.

Anneh

No message

Tawhnee, thank you so much for this!! It's so true, as we hear from women over and over again, that just knowing this is so very common to the female experience makes it seem almost normal and definitely manageable. You are the age group we are counting on to reveal the true natural history of prolapse. Thanks so much for being here.

margie
It's all very well to suggest keeping your uterus "until you die," but what about those of us who had no choice, due to risk of cervical cancer or some other condition that would be life-threatening if the uterus and/or cervix was left in place? I'm 76, and had a complete hysterectomy three years ago. No choice. No problem with or after the surgery (though it wasn't fun!), but now I observe that my bladder is bulging into the vagina somewhat, just inside the vaginal opening. Last year my GYN suggested I get busy doing Kegels, but it's not easy without feeling some resistance when you "squeeze." So I decided to try the Kegelmaster, which I've ordered but not received yet.
I had four pregnancies in my youth, all vaginal deliveries (the first baby required forceps). Never noticed any prolapse until the last few months. Hardly ever have urinary leakage. Had constipation problems this past year until I changed my diet, so I suspect that pushing for bms has aggravated the bladder prolapse. I remarried two years ago and am currently sexually active.
I've sent for Christine's book and hope to learn more about the posture thing. Meanwhile, is anyone else out there without a uterus but still having some success with Kegels and/or the postural exercises? I'm anxious to prevent the cystocele from getting worse.

Let me amend: Keeping your uterus "until you die" (unless it has a life threatening disease). I believe that comment was in reference to those who do not have a life-threatening disease, but merely a low-riding uterus and it is suggested to keep it because of exactly what you are experiencing.

When the uterus is gone the bladder and rectum loose a huge support system. And the void it leaves allows those organs to go south all too easily.

I think most people on this board have their uterus, so will be one of the pioneers to see how the posture works for you. You anatomy is now different so the changes you make may need to be different, too. I know the posture as Christine teaches helps to put the organs over the pelvic bone so they are supported by that, so I'm not entirely sure how that will change for you.

Hopefully, as she gets her whole woman center up and running she'll find time to come back to the board. I know there was a thread over a year ago with someone who had a hysterectomy; I'm not certain when the site shifted over if that thread is still there. I'll try a search and see what I come up with.
Jane