Low, painful urethra after childbirth

Body: 

Hi
This is the first time posting here...I had my son five months ago, he's my fourth...they used forceps because his heart rate was dropping. With my other kids it took two hrs to push them out, but with the forceps they had him out in twenty mins. I've never been so swollen down below, nor has my perineum ever tore. Anyway, I could feel a bulge in the front of the vagina afterwards and I was so scared. Then a week or so later I bent over and felt a strange sensation or pop. I got a mirror and just inside saw my urethra hanging low and looking big! It wasn't even noticeable before . It was high and had skin above it. It wasnt painful right away, i would just have scratchy feelings.. The doctor said when I finished breastfeeding things would feel better. So I stopped breastfeeding and the urethral pain started. Sometimes it burns, sometimes it's just scratchy, and often it feels like a cut is in there. The bulge in my vagina went up significantly though its not the same as it was. But sometimes when I stand up I feel like something's hanging or coming out. It hurts to sit forward in good posture, do I'm always leaning back. Doctor said it shouldn't be painful even if it is out of place..he put me on an anti depressant.. And wants me to go to PT. he tested my bladder and said its fine.. Anyone have any advice?? I've tried estrogen cream, it's not a UTI, I've soaked in sea salt baths...!? Please help this pain is consuming me. Thanks!

Hi Babyboyojz and welcome. I’m not the expert on post-partum urethra issues, though you might find some good threads if you use the search box up above. Meanwhile, until a teacher or another experienced prolapse mom comes on, I’ll throw a few things out there.

Things are rarely normal at 5 months PP, especially for you with three younger ones and a more traumatic birth than what you have experienced before.

Try a little raw local honey on the area. It may burn a little at first, but it is a real road-tested remedy for all kinds of discomfort.

Leaning back to take pressure off the area is not a good solution. Good posture really means relaxing the belly, pulling up the chest, keeping the shoulders down, and by doing so you are working to restore lumbar curvature. This is the true source of pelvic organ support, but it isn’t the same as what we were all brought up to consider “good posture” (weren’t you taught to pull in your abs and tuck your tailbone under? I sure was!). Whole Woman posture will make room in your lower belly for the organs to rest, so that the bladder and urethra will not be crammed into the vaginal space. But it takes time to cultivate this as a new habit.

Are you emptying OK? If you have any trouble peeing, rise up a little and lean forward to tilt the organs into the best position for emptying. You can even do it on all fours in the shower.

Take it slowly and enjoy your babe while you can! - Surviving

welcome Babyboyojz
I second Surviving's advice- hang in there.
Most of us have a similar response to prolapse- shock/horror, why me, what is this strange thing happening to my body.
Gradually and with the advice and support you will find here, we find a place of equilibrium, understanding and acceptance. We deal with the issues we each have- some have more success than others but the greatest success is when we realize that we are OK. It takes a while, there may be setbacks but eventually life settles- you may even come to appreciate your prolapse (begrudgingly)
I find it sad that your Gp put you on anti depressants. I think he needs a prolapse.

Thank u so much for the support. It's been hard taking care of my kids because all I can think about is the pain I have.
I've read a little about the ww posture and I will try it. Im kind of a tense person in general and hold my stomach and butt muscles tight.
I'm just afraid that because my urethra is out of place, the pain will always b there .. Someone suggested it is irritating the nerves around it?? I'm just mad at myself for letting this happen to my body. I had never heard of prolapse until now and apparently it's common but no one talks about it...again, thank u for your encouragement :)

I was upset about the anti depressants at first, but he said they give them to people with chronic pain. He said to come back in a month and if I'm still in pain he will keep trying to figure it out. I have been depressed about the pain, so maybe it'll help, idk.
Now the first dr I went to said, well at least it's not something like knee surgery..I'd rather have knee surgery than a burning vagina! Then the second guy , a urologist, asked do I leak urine, and I said no, and he said well u will and then pointed to my friend who was with me and said, and she will too.

Congratulations on the birth of your little boy! I think that you might find great help over time with the WW posture. When you said above that you are kind of tense and hold in your stomach and butt muscles tight....that is most likely a contributing factor (like for so many of us). Try to take the time to "really" try the posture and think of it as a posture you will be growing into for life. It is going to help you. You must however be willing to relax those belly muscles and feel instead an uplift with your chest that allows your belly to be taught in a different way. It is a process to do this and I think we are all fine-tuning this with every waking moment. The breathing into the belly should also help to give you healthy direction and hopefully ease a bit of your pain and tension. Although I have not had the burning pain that you have, many women have had great success with that little pea-sized amount of honey in the vagina. Try to start that right away. Use local raw honey for that, which most of us can find at a health-food store. Between that and a dedication to the posture (and being gentle with yourself) it sounds like you may see some good results with a bit of time. As for your discomfort in sitting, I too had that in my first month especially. I found myself standing, pacing and walking most of the time (always in WW posture). When the posture began to be ever-present, then I found the seated posture much better and now three months later, it is very comfortable. Spend time in the resources tab here to see the video of Christine explaining the posture. You may need to return to that several times and post your questions regarding it so that you can have some feedback. Best Wishes to you.

Babyboyojz, it sounds to me like you are a perfect candidate for feeling better with WW posture. If you tend to be tense and you've been holding your body the wrong way, for a very long time, you might start to feel better very shortly after adopting this posture. And it will start you down the road of moving your organs out of the path of that backward pressure that is causing your distress. I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of treating a sore urethra as a type of "chronic pain" that would cause someone to be put on anti-depressants. Doctors only have a few things in their bag of tricks, and many of them are totally the wrong things. Stick around here for a daily shot of Whole Woman wisdom and love, and you will start to see things differently..... Hugs to you - Surviving

Everyone- thank u so much..when I let my belly relax it kind of seems like it puts pressure in the vagina.??? But I guess if I keep my chest up it should help.? Do u really think the posture will help my urethra stop burning? It's not at all like it was before the birth . It's low and exposed.. I just wish it would go back up where it was!! Will posture help put it more in the correct place? Thank u

Exactly - it is not a floppy belly at all, and it shouldn't be putting pressure on anything. Pulling the chest up and keeping the shoulders down will make for a very long and strong torso, and the resulting lumbar curvature helps keep your organs out of the vaginal space. Aim to make this posture a habit for all your waking hours. This takes time and work, but it's worth it. There is nothing better than this for prolapse. - Surviving

Hi BabyBoyojz

Relaxing your belly after tensing it for all those years doesn't seem to make sense, does it? Once you start to understand why we advocate this it will get easier.

Breathing with your diaphragm instead of your rib and shoulder muscles is the other half of the story. Your diaphragm comes down and forward when you breathe in. Your shoulders should hardly move at all. This pushes your bladder and uterus forward and down onto your lower abdominal wall, supported underneath by your pubic bones, instead of your soft ol' vagina. It also makes your lumbar spine, below your ribs come forward in a big curve and tilts your pelvis forwards, which stretches out your hamstrings down the backs of your legs and your buttock muscles. This make your pelvic floor come out the back of your body instead of being at the bottom, so there is nothing sitting on your pelvic floor at all! Your chest is lifted, so your abdominal muscles become stretched out. If you try and push your stomach out you might feel fullness in your vagina. Just relax it. Your bladder and urethra will stretch forwards when you allow a little space in your lower belly for them to move forwards. Then your urethra will get longer and thinner and not all lumpy near the bottom or your vagina. This means that it is less likely to get chafed.

BTW, if you are on the Pill this might also make your vagina drier, so you feel your symptoms more again, kinda like just after the baby was born.

Hope this all makes some sense.

Louise

Wow that's a lot to think about! I need to watch a video. I hope I can work on this and get rid of this constant pain... It's making me so irritable. Is it a freak thing that my urethra opening popped down or does it happen sometimes? My dr wants me to go to physical therapy, do u think that will help?
Thank u for responding and for the advice, it's good to have people to talk to about this.

Physical therapists most often take the Kegel approach to prolapse, and a philosophy of correct posture that does not go far enough to get the body back to its true original design. That being said, you might get a good and open-minded one.....it's up to you. - Surviving

Ok, and one more question... The first doctor I saw prescribed estrogen cream and said to put it directly on the urethra for the burning .. I had quit breastfeeding and had one period at that time. The cream burned so I didn't use it anymore . Shouldn't I have enough estrogen if I started my cycle? The next dr I saw said estrogen creams have some alcohol in them and that's probably why it burned and not to use it .. Any advice??

Hi Babyboyojz

I would think that your oestrogen levels would be OK if you have had a period. However, it will vary through your menstrual cycle. Oestrogen level in your blood is highest a few days before ovulation, then it dips straight after ovulation, has a small increase again then dips right down before menstruation. That is why we get egg-white consistency mucous just before ovulation, then it goes much drier for the second half of the cycle. As you have only had one period you may not have ovulated yet. See what happens this cycle. Sometimes it takes a while to establish ovulation properly again.

When you say your urethra is burning, do you mean on the inside of the urethra, the tube that the urine passes through, or the front wall of the vagina, which is over the top of the urethra, or the muscle that closes the urethra?

The pudendal nerve, which innervates the vagina, the perineum and the external urethral sphincter can become stretched and irritated if the perineum descends and pulls on the nerve. This will happen when pelvic organs prolapse, fall back and down into the vaginal space. If this is the case, the answer has to have something to do with lifting the perineum. You do this by adjusting your posture to tip your pelvic organs forwards off the pelvic floor, and allowing the perineum to rise in WW posture. Kapiche?

Also, a tiny dob of unprocessed honey on the stingy spot. It will sting for a couple of seconds but then the stinging stops quite quickly.

Louise

Hi, the burning is hard to explain... It's mainly on the outside of the urethra. Sometimes it just feels prickly around the area and further back toward my rear, other times it feels like there's a bad cut in there but mostly it burns, the closest way to describe it is that it feels like the time my friend burned my arm with her cigarette....it's not that bad though. Sometimes if I move a certain way or bend down it hurts , I think from the pressure. I had a small tube of lidocaine but used all that in a week or so....it helped but I would still feel some sharp pain upwards.
I think u may b right about the nerve pain, I've thought that's what the prickly feeling is???
I also just think its just in the wrong place and not protected by skin above it like it used to be. I'm so depressed about my body right now and I'm afraid it'll get worse!
I'm on my second period now. There is a bulge on the front side of my vagina that has been up pretty much but today seems down more:(
I know the estrogen cream would make it go back up, but I think only temporarily, and I don't really think I should use it often?

Sure. It could and it could get better too!
When you get down on your knees and elbows, does the burning pain go away?
I've had burning pain before- seems like from the tissues stretching to me- if you lie down does it go away?
5 months is still early days as far as your body recovering from the birth goes. You had a pretty traumatic birth- when they say 6 weeks, what they are looking for is the uterus to have returned to pre-pregnant size and position in the pelvis- It takes a good two years to fully heal up from a birth.
You are here now and things are going to start to get better. Nourish your body as well as you possibly can. Think about good healing foods for your tissues. Take a good hard look at what you might be missing in your diet and what might need to go for good. This is so individual- for me, a good bone broth postpartum really gives nourishment.
Care for yourself so you can care for your family. It is completely normal to freak out, to feel depressed, to feel betrayed by your body, to feel broken, to feel like you can't DO anything- but if those feelings don't pass, or if you don't start seeing the light at the end of that tunnel, then antidepressants are probably a great choice while you get through this tough time (hormonally, physically, emotionally).
Also, try to find some time to not think about your prolapse. Guided meditation maybe? Drinks and dancing?
It's going to be okay. There will be ups and downs (especially around your cycle) but then there will be more ups than downs and you'll really start to feel better.

The burning issue I feel, is a nerve issue. I have birthed 8 babies and just now for the first time after number 8 I had the terrible burning for 4 mo pp. I thought it was never going to subside, but with cat/cow yoga moves and firebreathing( daily)...it has subsided. Hang in there and keep your posture and try these yoga moves.

How did u take care of your kids and stay positive? I'm so on edge all the time.
Was the burning all over the vagina or just in the middle like it was ur urethra? Did the yoga poses make it hurt at first? I them this morning and then it started stinging below like it does toward the end of the day and still is. I haven't done Firebreathing I'm not really sure how yet.
I'm glad your pain is gone:) did it go gradually or did it just stop one day?

Finally, some talk about this urethra business! :)

Louise, or anyone, can you elaborate on this for me:

. . . do you mean on the inside of the urethra, the tube that the urine passes through, or the front wall of the vagina, which is over the top of the urethra, or the muscle that closes the urethra . . .

You were so kind to respond to my inquiry a few weeks ago. Since then I have purchased Christine's book. Being a ballerina for 15 years in my long lost youth, I was thrilled to see all of the ballet movements. I'm afraid my teacher would not have appreciated the "whole woman" posture, however! :)

I need to take some time to fully read the book, but my chief concern remains my urethra situation. Sitting at my desk all day -- stressed to the hilt -- is making me uncomfortable "down there." I have seen a few posts about urethroceles and I truly believe I have that along with my uterine prolapse and (self-diagnosed) cystocele and probably a rectocele to boot. I think I definitely have an issue with "the front wall of the vagina, which is over the top of the urethra, or the muscle that closes the urethra." Nothing with the urethra itself is noticeable, other than when I first noticed the problem, and was SHOCKED, the urethral opening was enlarged. I thought, "What the hell is that?" It just seems like the area around my urethral opening has expanded or been pushed outward, especially when I am standing and looking at myself with a mirror. If I am lying in the bathtub (mirror in hand!) it is not noticeable. If I do a kegel exercise, the area folds back inside my vagina, only to emerge again. Is this one of the things that ladies are referring to when they say things don't look the same? I think it is my prolapsed anatomy -- I have never had a bladder infection in my life, as far as I can remember -- but something is definitely different.

Thanks for any clarification you can give me!

Seachele

Hi Seachele,

To my knowledge (and I'm no expert), but I don't think one has to have had bladder infections to get prolapse. I discovered my own prolapse quite recently (in the shower) and freaked out. I'm somewhat calmer now and will go to a gynie later this month, but just for a formal diagnosis. I don't want any surgery, and am not even keen on the pessary idea (although some claim they feel better with them). Perhaps. But I'm leery - by nature :p

I'm post-menopausal with no kids. Caregiver to hubby so was doing extra lifting and stuff which may have contributed.

Wishing you all the best.

sevilla

Hi, Sevilla. I am not keen on the pessary idea, either! No, bladder infections do not cause prolapse. I am sure my nine-pound bundle of joy had a hand in that 29 years ago! I just meant that recurrent bladder infections is the only prolapse symptom that I have not experienced. I am already scheduled for a follow-up appointment next month on another matter, so I guess, if I put my most assertive self forward, I will have a better idea of what I am dealing with then. I performed Christine's prolapse self-test and passed with flying colors! [Or should I say failed?] I am just very curious as to what is going on ... and how long it has been that way. I figure I have a Stage 2 cystocele. The doc told me himself that my uterus is prolapsed. And I would not be at all surprised if I have a rectocele. That seems to come and go, if that is possible. Everything makes sense to me -- the bulging bladder right at the vaginal opening, the cervix easily accessible, my stress incontinence virtually disappearing -- everything except my peehole. I just don't get that part!! HELP! :)

SEACHELE,

I don't have incontinence. You mention that your stress incontinence has virtually disappeared. did you have that problem before? I just hope I don't get it. Strange, when I was a kid I had a bed wetting problem and a giggling problem which made me spontaneously pee. As I grew older this all disappeared. And now, in my late sixties, and suddenly acquiring a prolapse, I am not having ANY incontinence probs. Hmmmmm :p

I'm not sure what ''stage'' or ''kind'' of prolapse I have. Will post here when I find out. Hate to keep looking at it and try not to think about it too much. Have vaginal heaviness as though something is ''sitting'' there. And something is :p

Hope your situation improves. Keep us posted.

sevilla

Yes, I have had "stress" incontinence for many years -- laughing, sneezing, coughing. I just considered it a nuisance, without really looking into the cause. I don't know that I ever even mentioned it to my gynecologist until this last visit a few months ago. Back when I was taking childbirth classes, the big concern was developing hemorrhoids. Nobody ever mentioned the toll childbirth can take on the pelvic organs as a whole. My "stress" incontinence seemed to have been at its absolute worst until recently when this whole situation came to my attention. And then I realized it had disappeared! As the bladder prolapses further and further, I guess, the urethra folds over or something, and leakage is no longer a problem. That's a positive development in some aspects, not so much in others. I don't have a full understanding of what a urethrocele is, tho. Hence my post. The whole situation is tolerable for me, but definitely disconcerting!

Keep working on Whole Woman posture, incorporate some firebreathing into your day. All these organs are connected, and working to keep them forward over the pubic bones is the best way to keep the pressure off the urethra. Posture posture posture. - Surviving

Yes, Seachelle, my urethra (pee hole) is down now and is showing and looks big, it was up further just below the clitoris and was pretty much hidden by skin above it. Now that skin has stretched down and the hole is at the end of it... I hate it. I guess whatever tissue held it up in place was weak. Now it hurts all the time! Does yours hurt ?

Yes, it hurts! Not so much when I feel it, but during my day, definitely. Raw feeling, pain, a feeling that something is sticking me, etc. I can barely wear dress pants to work anymore ... and I have always worn dress pants! You could not pay me to wear a dress, and now dresses and skirts are my best friend! :) I had never noticed anything with regard to my urethral opening before, and now it's just plain weird! So glad you see the same sort of thing. (Not that I would wish that on anybody!) I see that posture post, tho ... posture and kegels shall be my mantra!

Hi Seachele

Kegels is not recommended. It exercises the “long Y-axis from pubic bone to tailbone”. Exercising just this one dimension of the muscle activity does not work. It is a three dimensional activity which is required in order to stabilise and reverse the symptoms of prolapse and this is what WW posture provides.

Posture includes the “X-axis which runs across the diameter of the pelvic wall from ischial spine to ischial spine. Because the urethra is embedded in the X-axis, it is raised and supported in its anatomical position only when the X-axis tightens”.

I’ve quoted from Christine’s book here. I do highly recommend it to you. It’s guaranteed to blow your mind.

I would not keep on with too much Kegels, over exercise of one dimension and you will weaken the other. WW posture when used all throughout your day, sitting, walking, running, working provides the desired balance of strengthening the three dimensional anatomy.

Best wishes, Fab

Seachelle, what did your doctor say about your urethra? Did he know what was causing it to be so painful ? I've talked to a couple of other moms who've found their urethra lower after childbirth, but it doesn't bother them or only did for a little while. I'm just desperate to get rid of this pain...

Thanks, Fab! [I hadn't actually started doing very many kegels. Now I won't!] I have the book ... some very technical stuff in there, but fantastic information. I will concentrate on the proper posture!

Babyboyojz, when I saw my doctor for my annual exam, he only mentioned my uterus being prolapsed. I specifically asked about my bladder and he thought that was OK. It is not. He gave me a prescription for a medicine to stop my stress incontinence. I wasn't looking for a medication to stop that, so I didn't take it. But then it stopped completely anyway. Maybe something happened right after my visit, but I doubt that. I was lying down on the examining table with an empty bladder, so he could have missed the cystocele, but I don't know how he could miss the protruding area housing my urethra! I didn't notice that until sometime after my appointment. I don't know the prior location of my urethra ... had not taken much of a look before ... but what I saw when I did take a gander was mind-boggling. I am in my mid-fifties, so things with me have been brewing for a long time. Don't despair! The WW posture obviously makes a difference, or so many women would not swear by it! I am still consumed with worrying about this situation, rather than embarking on steps to correct it. Must get on track because I am definitely uncomfortable in several respects. Everything feels worse as my stress level increases, so try to relax. I will if you will! :)

Dear Babyboyojz

Let’s eliminate some of the things you may have done,
Have you tried a soothing bath sprinkled with bi carbonate of soda or Epsom salts?
Have you applied a lubricant or a pea size amount of honey or some cold yoghurt in the area?
Have you taken paracetamol for the pain?
Have you limited your intake of foods which may irritate the bladder/urethra such as coffee, wine or other foods which you know tend to irritate; sugar, chilli?
Have you tried drinking a soothing balm, a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a warm glass of water, a daily good dose of yoghurt (one with lots of bacteria) etc?
Have you checked out any meds which may have impacted?
Have you made that area more comfortable with panty liner or tampon to psychologically make you feel more secure as in “it might drop right out” fright?

These things may make it all sound terribly simplistic and we all know it is not. But….. when we have young babies to look after we can fall into the error of neglecting ourselves and lack of self care can translate into anxiety and pain and so on in a downward spiral.

Pain is not something that you should be living with if it can be at all avoided. Try to alleviate it as much as you can. If it requires more rest, take it; sleep when baby does. There is no shame in that. Where will you and dear baby be if you get more ill? So take it slow, small steps, see how you go and get back to us with an update. And then if things are still bad seek out your doctor.

Best wishes, Fab

Fab, thank u for all the suggestions :) I have tried several things. A sea salt bath helps temporarily. I'm not sure what paracetamol is? I had a tube of lidocaine which was great but the dr didn't want to prescribe more because it had alcohol in it, I guess that can irritate and make it worse. I got some organic honey but it doesn't say if it's pasteurized or not and on Dr Oz he said it should b unpastreurized:) one evening I was outside with my daughter and my pain went away. Of course I had to check it out down there with a mirror and my urethra was up higher than its been, not where it was but close.. But the next day it was down and painful. I can't figure it out. Hormones? The position of the bladder , idk..

Dear Babybojz

A sea salt bath is good. A little soothing honey after it may prove helpful.

Yes I imagine the alcohol would be drying.

Ok so the urethra has gone back up one night. That shows you it can go up. If it goes up once, it can go up again. What were you doing that day or night that was different? Had it been a busy or quiet day? Had you been for a walk? Had you drank less coffee? Did you have visitors? See if you can think of something which may have helped you that day. Time of the month?

Figuring it out will take time. In the meanwhile, test things as you go. Use the energy that your anxiety is taking to experiment with these things.

When it goes up like that next time, take yourself for a little walk in posture. Don’t overdo it five or ten minutes would be plenty; once around the block.

Paracetamol is a pain killer; any safe one (with a minimum of possible side effects) will do.

Pasteurised means the honey has been heated to 90 degrees or so. Unpastueurised of course hasn’t. It therefore retains all its natural properties and that’s why it is preferred. But pasteurised honey still retains most of them. It might prove a little messy so you can apply it at night or if in the day use a panty liner. If you would rather not, then try the yoghurt. Don’t forget before pharmaceuticals this was all people had. They are not all old wives tales. Some are of course.

You are the work of art that you now need to work upon; it’s your creation with a little help from your friends.

Best wishes, Fab

Hi Seachele

It makes sense to me that if the bladder is stretching the fascia between the bladder and the anterior vaginal wall , the front vaginal wall will expand sideways. As the urethra is in the same space between the two organs, then the urethra will also be pulled wider. There is possibly quite a bit of tissue stretching happening, which could also be putting pressure on these branches of the pudendal nerve. if it is being pulled wider, then it may also be squashed lengthwise. Anyway, you know it is not happy! This may be exacerbated by your perimenopausal state, which leaves your vaginal tissues and surrounding tissue feeling sensitive and irritated. Have you tried the honey trick? Overnight is a good time, but remember to wear undies to bed. ;-)

I had not been on the site in awhile ... all those daily responsibilities getting in the way ... but I saw that you responded to my post and wanted to thank you! I actually felt the best today that I have felt in quite some time. My husband has taken the credit, as we had sex this morning. Ha! I hope he's right, and so does he! ;) I don't think anything has changed physically, but maybe my attitude has changed a bit. I have noticed a significant change in how I feel when I concentrate on the WW posture when standing at the copier, etc. It really makes a difference! I am not sure if I am doing it completely right, but I am definitely not tucking my butt under and I am not sucking my stomach in. So that's half the battle, right? I catch myself all the time "slouching" when I am seated, however. I am totally sunk into my chair at work, but I'm trying to be more aware of that. I am slowly beginning to comprehend all this tissue stretching and nerve involvement. The more I read, the more I relate to. It's bizarre! Still have no clue how long this has been going on with me, but if stress incontenince is a tell-tale sign, it's been at least a decade in the making. I looked at a million jars of honey at the store this weekend, and didn't know which one to buy. How about blue agave?? That sounded therapeutic! Funny you should mention undies. I have practically done away with dress pants. Was kind of wondering if I could ditch the panties, too!

Seachele,
I ditched the undies eight years ago. Not sure why exactly. After being "free and natural" for several weeks, any sort of underwear felt odd/distracting to wear. Strangely enough, I went from having a few UTIs in a row back then to having none for the next eight years. It's not a fool proof strategy, though. A UTI popped up several weeks ago, despite the fact that I was still unclothed under my clothes. Congrats on the therapeutic sex!

Wait - this IS the prolapse forum, right? I'd be lost without my pantiliners and something to stick them to. No undies sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. I envy you guys! - Surviving

I know this is an old thread but I am going through the exact same thing. Can't get a straight answer from the numerous dr appointments I've had and feel ill with worry. Babyboyojz did you ever figure out what you had or how to cure it? Thanks Marta

Hi Marta - She got a lot of good advice here about posture, self-care and healing. She hasn't been back to update us, but if you have the same concerns, you might try following the same suggestions. - Surviving

Hi, I just wanted to give an update. I had a couple of UTI's after giving birth 5 months ago followed by intense burning, urethra pain and constant need to urinate. Some days it was so painful I could hardly walk or sleep. After taking 8 rounds of antibiotics, a cystoscopy, MRI, CT scan, thrush pills, and even physical therapy it turned out I have an allergy to soap and shaving cream!! I had used the same Dove sensitive soap for the past 10 years and did switch soaps when trying to figure out what could be causing the pain but still had the pain so didn't think that was it. Long story short I skipped a couple of showers which I never do and felt slightly better. I used nothing but hot water to wash for the next week and by the end of the week almost all of the pain has gone. I'm now using an all natural baby soap from Whole Foods and so far so good.
Just wanted to let you all know. I went to 4 doctors and none of them could figure it out. I was using Lidocain and I was about to progress to more serious meds so thankfully didn't have to go there. Hope this helps somebody else.

This is great news Marta and thanks for the update. It is strange how allergies and sensitivities can come and go throughout life, triggered by who knows what. Christine touches on the subject of bathing (Vulva Vaginal dvd) saying that daily bathing is not really necessary or advisable and that soap can be eliminated. This is a tough sell for many women, but almost a necessity in a case like what you've described. A good lesson and thanks for sharing it. - Surviving

That us so true. I know when I first found Christine talking about this, I was a little put off by the concept of not showering everyday. I have been having issues with really itchy skin. My legs mostly, and found that by decreasing the days in the showers and switching to a more organic pareben free soap has really helped with that.
I remember when working in the nursing home, we only fully bathed our residents once a week. They did get a face and bottom wash daily, and they weren't stinky.