Better longer sleep

Body: 

Dear lovely ladies,
Have had trouble sleeping through for a long time and it is getting to me at this time of life (starting to be perimenopausal)with busy family, study and future work. There are times when I just need to get up and was wondering what everyone does to go back to sleep before the need to get up or toss & turn, with the added snoring by DH...
Apart from checking out WWforum in the wee hours does anyone do Christine's Yoga ? Any suggestions gratefully received.
Blessings to you all
Aussie Soul Sis zzzzzzzzzz!!

I'm a night shift nurse with two small children. What is this sleep you speak of? (ha ha!). Cultivation of sleep can be an art form as I am learning! I personally love ear plugs ... the foam kind you squish up and then re-expand themselves in your ear canal. They work wonders for me, and can be had cheaply at most hardware stores. I have never tried medications, but many of my nocturnal co-workers swear by Benedryl (diphenhydramine) or the more natural remedy, melatonin. I don't go so far as completing one of the WW yoga DVDs, but do find gentle stretching to help me relax. I am a list maker, and writing down things to do helps me feel less stressed. A game of solitaire or a few minutes of reading do help me get back to sleep when needed. Otherwise, grab sleep where you can -- nap whenever possible and it may help make up for your lack of traditional nighttime zzzzz's. Best wishes . . . insomnia sucks!!

I’ve been trying to think of all the reasons I suffered insomnia for about 11 years. I didn’t take sleeping tablets. Both my mother and mother-in-law did. I was a bit worried about what it was doing to their minds. Trouble was, I did become exhausted after that time with family, commuting and full time, high stress work. So copping long term insomnia isn’t a solution either, but it is amazing in retrospect how long you can go.

Whether it is hormonal inspired or not, I always found there was frequently something more tangible keeping me awake. So be patient while I list the obvious. You might be able to relate to some of it.

It depends what wakes you. If you are worried about something, try and make a mental plan of what you will do about it. For example, if you are worrying about an assignment due, think of the first three steps you need to make to start it and what time the next day or next week you will be able to take them.

Anxiety. If other people are worrying you, sometimes there is something you can do to fix things up and sometimes you can’t. Work out which it is, and try to accept that. It may not be ideal, but life is like that. If you are feeling anger, that’s a hard one. But if you can move into just feeling the anger, rather than thinking the angry thoughts, the anger can wash out of you.

Stress. If you are doing too much, start doing less. There are always things that are not in the important and urgent basket; e.g. housework. Concentrate on cooking, washing and limit the ironing and the cleaning. Dry school shirts on hangers and forget the ironing. You know with a husband and three kids in the house you are looking at washing and ironing a minimum of 28 shirts a week alone.

If your mind won’t shut off, try and watch a favourite movie in your head, or tell yourself a fairy tale. If this doesn’t work practictioners of neurolinguistics suggest you visualise a red stop sign “stop those thoughts”, or maybe you can hear in your imagination a disc jockey signing off “Good night world, and sleep nice”. Yes, well that brings to mind another one, people go to sleep with the radio on. I couldn’t handle that.

If you are cold, pull your dressing gown up over your quilt. If you suffer with cold feet and they wake you, a bout on a circulation booster just after dinner really works.

If your tummy is hurting massage it.
Hot sweats drop your blanket.
Restless legs, taking magnesia tablets helps.

Once you’re up…..
If hungry: eat something light, but maybe fatty and a little sweet, like toast and butter and honey. Some people swear by warm, sweetened milk. Maybe, a warm cup of milk with a sprinkle of organic cocoa would be healthier and just as effective. As long as this doesn’t wake the kids and you find yourself dishing out midnight snacks, three nights of the week.
If thirsty: sip some warm water.
If in pain take some paracetamol.

If just wide awake, can you read something boring with a simple instruction to yourself “half an hour of this and I am going to be blind with sleep” or something similar.
I’ve left off not having sex.

The snoring is a problem. Can you encourage your husband to lose weight; being overweight is the major cause of snoring. In his case it may be something else. But if it is likely that it is caused by him being a little overweight cutting out sugar is probably the quickest most effective and safest diet.

See what others say about the yoga. I always read not to do exercises before sleep as it stimulates you. But you can always try these things.

Best wishes Fab

Lots of good suggestions here. I went through the worst part of menopause during one of the most stressful and worry-filled periods of my life. My sleep was destroyed by worry and hot flashes...what I fun period it was. I hope you can find what you need to relax and rest. I find if I get up to do something, I just throw myself off even more for the following day, so I might make a list of stuff to remember for the next day and then read something relaxing.....Good luck, it will pass. - Surviving

I think about what I would do if I win the lottery. Puts me right to sleep.

Dear TVbug, Surviving 60, Fab & bad-mirror, I've just got up & thankyou for all your ideas. DH is not o/weight, though he does like sweet food, & I can limit that to some degree. It's more me & my lack of relaxation - I am reluctant to go to bed exhausted as esp when children were younger you never knew when you could be up with them, & I have got into the habit of going to bed earlier mostly. Am going to change that over the next school hols as I don't think I need as much sleep as I think I do.
Have a lovely day & good night to the Northern Hemisphere!!
Aussie Soul Sister

I have just recently discovered another technique (not original, btw). My daily rhythms went psycho for a number of reasons, for about 12 months. Setting the alarm for 7am or thereabouts each morning, has been useful for me. If I go to bed too late I feel like s*** the following day, which is my punishment. If I go to bed between 10 and 11pm I sleep much sounder and wake feeling more rested, which is my reward. Yes, I sometimes wake at 3am too, but find that I can get back to sleep much more easily. Less hot sweats too!

This technique seems to work better for me than going to bed earlier, because there is no natural punishment/reward mechanism with going to bed earlier.

Louise

Thanks for your suggestions Louiseds,
I read somewhere that getting up at the same time every day is something to try and do & vary the time of going to bed in the evening according to how tired one is, however only going to bed when eyes won't stay open - really tired & one way of achieving that guage or signal is to read. I have to get over going to bed earlier, "just in case I will be up" with children more so in the past, or wakefull during the night.
I also love my weekly meditation class - I need also to do some forward planning as I know meditation will help & Yoga Nidra - forget to plan & don't do it so that is my goal for sleep.
Love, (((hugs))) & Best wishes to you all
Aussie Soul Sis

I do get up at 6:30am and that really does work. Find if I walk more or more physical work I need more sleep and sleep more sound. I love it when I sleep really hard. Also when I dream. If I wake up in the night and can't sleep I just make sure I work hard the next day. Then I can sleep sound.

have you ever done a guided meditation?
you can download one on your iPod and it won't even disturb anyone.

This one may not be so quiet, but if you give yourself an orgasm that might help you get back to sleep :-)

ROFL!! Yes, Mother Nature has her secret women's business, doesn't she?

Trying to stop the HRT but I cannot sleep. Does anyone have suggestions? Oils? How will it hurt to take sleeping pills.

Lots of great suggestions in this thread, and I would add relaxing Epsom salt and lavender oil baths in. Diet, exercise, meditation can all go a long way into becoming more relaxed for sleep.
You can also put some key words in the search for more suggestions on sleep and HRT.

A few mg of melatonin might help. Keep room VERY dark, and not too warm. If you spend time on computer or phone screens after dark, blue-blocking glasses are good for helping your mind and body to know that it's nighttime....throwing off our natural circadian rhythm is a huge problem in modern life. - Surviving

My teenager had sleeping problems when he hit puberty. A friend who knows a lot about naturopathy suggested Tart Cherry capsules. They are naturally high in melatonin and have many bother health benefits but best of all he has no more sleeping problems.

Where do you get these tart cherries?

Vitamin D3 is important for sleep, as are B-complex (esp. B5 and B12). Do your own research with resources you trust, as opinions vary. Get levels tested. - Surviving

I can buy it from most pharmacies or health food shops or online in New Zealand.