Does posture help a retroverted uterus that's prolapsed?

Body: 

Hi, I'm 9 wks pp and have a cystocele 1 and a mild rectocele but my PT thinks I now have a uterine prolapse too. She says my cervix is palpable about 1.5 inchies in, and has never fallen out. Is that considered a prolapse? She seems to thinks so.

My question is does the posture help a retroverted uterus as that's what I have?

Now that I know I have a uterine prolapse that seems to be lower than it was 2 weeks ago when my PT checked, I'm terrified to do anything. Can I lift my 5-6kg baby and do unlimited amounts of walking daily? I'm due to go off on holidays soon and would hate to not be able to walk around all day with my 2 children.

Thanks for all your replies!

Hi Irishmum - the wonderful thing about WW posture is that it's good for anything and everything! It works along with your normal PP recovery, which in itself can be a long, long process. Things will most likely move up somewhat on their own as you recover, and getting into correct posture now will continue to pay off for the rest of your life. Walking in excellent WW posture is one of the best things that you can do. You do need to lift with care though - keep the baby close to the body and try to bend from the hips, not the waist (that is, keep your lumbar curve in place, don't let your spine collapse and flatten). You will be great! - Surviving

Hi Irishmum,
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Do bear in mind that it's actually very common for pp mums to have some sort of prolapse - and many women find their prolapses improve naturally over time after birth. Generally younger women especially can find their prolapse symptoms can reduce in this way. However this does not happen for everyone -especially as the vast majority of women do not have the benefit of the WW knowledge, suuport and resources which can make the difference between symptoms getting worse or better.

The pelvic organs are actually quite mobile. They have to be to cope with women's ghanging shapes during pregnancy and the different stages of a woman's life. The bladder, uterus and rectum are independent but as they are so close to each other, the pelvic organs impact on each other. So that if one organ is prolapsed, chances are the other one or two may also be prolapsed to some degree or another. Many women talk about a primary prolapse (main prolapse) and secondary or less severe prolapses. So this may be the scenario for you. It's also common - and fortunately there's a lot you can do to manage, improve and reduce your prolapse symptoms - and lead a happy, healthy, safe and normal life.

Your uterine prolapse does not sound very severe. Indeed you sound as if it may not have been very noticeable for you. A retroverted uterus is associated with a uterine prolapse. It basically means your uterus and cervix have moved back and down a bit. Fortunately, with WW posture and the WW way, your uterus/pelvic organs can be encouraged back into a better position, i.e. forwards and behind the lower abdomen. That way your pelvic organs are supported by your lower abdomen in front and your symphysis pubis below. So a resounding "yes - WW posture helps retroverted uterus".

The good news you can continue to be a wonderful mum so long as you take care of yourself too! Remember to keep in WW posture as much as possible. Keep your diet healthy. Avoid/reduce constipation. Do not strain on the loo. These are key elements of the WW work. Walking in WW posture is great for prolapse reduction and improvement. Be careful with lifting. If you listen, your body and your prolapse symptoms can give you instant feedback re whether something is unwise/unsafe for you. In those cases, if you possibly can get other people to share or take over the lifting - or don't do it. Otherwise surviving60 gave great instructions for safely and successfully lifting things, which works for most of life's daily chores. But do avoid pushing yourself beyond what feels ok if at all possible.

I experienced a uterine prolapse about 1 1/2 years ago now. Initially I felt devastated, scared and worried. Fortunately I found the WW website, used the WW forum, bought the 'Saving the WW' book and the '1st Aid to Prolpase' dvd (and since then the subsequent dvd's). I found these resources a really helpful source on information and support and would recommend these to anyone with pop. Since then my uterine proplase has significanlty improved - mostly non symptomatic and in good position. However my prolapse sometimes re-occures, mostly when I've not taken care of myself/followed the WW principles. At those times, it's back to consistently looking after myself; ww posture, healthy eating, ww yoga/exercises etc. - and then my sympoms invariably improve. I can honestly say I feel happier and healthier than I have in years. So I no longer freak out if I my prolapse symptoms return to some extent. Instead I feel fortunate to have such an effective warning system which lets me know I need to take care of myself better.

Hope you have a lovely holiday. If you can make sure you've got a really good handle of WW posture, via the website/forum/resources/teacher... before you go, all the better.

Wishing you all the best,
xwholewomanuk

Thanks wholewomanuk,

Can I just ask when you say a retroverted uterus is associated with prolapses, does this mean I was
Prone to it as my uterus has always been retroverted? Or do you mean that when uterus's prolapse, they assume a more retroverted position?

I am relatively asymptomatic from a uterine prolapse point of view except I've noticed my urine stream getting slower and slower these last 2 weeks as my uterus is descending. Is this something to be concerned about? I still seem to be able to empty my bladder and have no stress/urge incontinence. Maybe a mild urge but I think it's psychological.

Why also is my uterus travelling south only at 8-10 weeks Pp? Shouldn't I be improving? I'm really being careful not to lift heavy things and to adopt the ww posture where I can. What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't a prolapse be apparent immediately pp when things are maximally stretched?

This is all very disheartening and I think it's still movin south as its lower now than it was yesterday :(

Irishmum, this is something that Christine has discussed in her book and it has shown up numerous times on this Forum. Prolapse seems not to occur so much right after the birth, but some number of days, weeks or months later. No one is completely sure why, but it seems to point to the birth itself not necessarily being the culprit. Of course we do know that many obstetric interventions and modern hospital birthing practices do set us up for a greater prolapse risk. But in addition, it seems to be very important what women do in the days and weeks immediately following childbirth. In short - they try to do too much, too soon, and definitely in the wrong posture! The post-partum recovery period can be as long as two years. The organs have the capacity to go back to where they belong, at least to some extent, if we are helping and not hindering the process. Most of us who "discovered" our prolapse post-menopause, and have successfully adopted the WW lifestyle, have a whole list of things that we would do differently if we could turn back the clock. Have patience and faith in your body and in this knowledge. It will help you. Enjoy your babe. - Surviving

Hi Irishmum,
Sorry to hear you've been feeling disheartened. If it's any consolation, my impression is that many if not most women who've experienced prolapse feel despondent at some point or another; often during the early stages before they've got a real handle on how to manage/improve their prolapse issues. The good news is that once women get to understand the female anatomy and pelvic organ support system better - and working with those principles, what they can do to reduce and manage their symptoms, then women feel in control of their prolapse rather than the other way round.

There are 2 great words in Sanskrit: Sukha and dukha, meaning 'good space' and 'bad space'. For many of us, the journey of recovery from prolapse is a journey from dukha to sukha.

Survinving 60's given a great response re. post partum prolapse.

Re a retroverted prolapse. (I think in the US they call this a 'tipped uterus'. Please correct me if I'm wrong): My understanding is that generally a retroverted cervix is an indication of a prolapse to some degree; that the uterus has been displaced to some extent. I was told when I was 19 that I had a retroverted uterus, that this was probably genetic and nothing to worry about. However in retrospect I think it probably signified I already had/ or had a tendency towards prolapse. It's also worth bearing in mind that the pelvic organs are all quite motile, ie they can move position within limits and can go in and out of prolapse or increase and decrease prolapse symptoms, throughout the day, from day to day... year to year....

Hope this helps.
xLindy

Hi Irishmum

We don't know why postpartum prolapse often doesn't appear until the second or third month pp. It just does. It will hopefully start to improve again, even if you do nothing, between 6 and nine months. However, you have quite a bit of lifting and carrying to do between now and then, so it is worthwhile helping recovery along by using your body in better ways.

The uterus is joined to the bladder, the bladder to the front vaginal wall, the back vaginal wall to the rectum. If your uterus straightens out and falls back it will drag the back wall of the bladder with it, and roll your bladder backwards. This can kink the urethra where it joins the bladder, ie the top of the urethra is kind of pushed forwards and comes off the bladder at a tangent. Your urethra probably has a bigger bore postpartum, because it has been stretched sideways during the passage of the baby. You could have driven a truck through mine for a few months after each of my births!

This kink, I think, causes a constriction at the top, and urine just flows out of the bottom like tea from a teapot. As your organs slowly return to normal positions your urethra will shrink sideways, and maybe become longer. Then it might feel all bunched up until you can stretch it out more.

Using WW posture will roll your bladder forward again, and the uterus will go with it, and fold forward over the top of it. Then the kink will disappear and the urine will come out more quickly, more like fuel out of a bowser. Wowsers - scary!

You can help with getting rid of the kink temporarily for now, by peeing in firebreathing posture, hovering over the toilet or in the shower, in turned out second feet, lumbar curve in place, with your bladder and uterus hanging forwards on your lower abdominal wall. This is a good way to empty your bladder properly every day, to minimise buildup of stale urine and possible UTI's. On all fours in the shower does the same job.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Louise