Changeable ...

Body: 

In the fear and angst of everything suddenly dropping about eighteen months ago... and subsequent visit to GP which lead to urogyn and then being told I had all three celes - this done with me laying down.
When I asked about being examined standing up - the Dr said most women were not happy to have a standing exam. I do not know how it is possible to determine the extent of prolapse when someone is lying down. I knew my rectocele was bad but if the rectum is empty and you are laying on your back, how does a Dr determine the extent? Only I know how bad it can get - but I was disappointed with the lack of interest shown in the rectocele, which was my reason for visiting. All this of course before coming here to Whole Woman.

He was more concerned with my cystocele (which I wasn't as worried about) - because on the ultrasound it showed I had retained urine rather than complete emptying. I did not even know this, so went on to have the recommended urodynamics test (very expensive) - but midway through the test after emptying a very full bladder with a very strong regular stream and having ultrasound he was astute enough to say there didn't seem to be a major problem as it the bladder had emptied. He then seemed in a hurry as he had a caesarian pending ... and thankfully I was not charged for the full test.

Anyway ... it got me thinking - in the first visit I must have retained some urine due to position of bladder - the second urodynamics visit I did feel that the bladder had emptied well...

I find there are days when the flow is strong and even and you feel it is efficient. Other days I can be busting and sit down and it's a trickle. Also times when I think it is empty and then after a bm the bladder then goes on to empty more.

So I am pondering this as I can think it only supports the WW philosophy in that - if prolapse is a problem that is only fixed surgically, as doctors hasten to advise .... then why is this condition so changeable on a daily basis?

The only answer can be posture and body positioning. That is as simple as it gets. Every time we go to the toilet no matter whether bladder or bowel - each experience is often different.
So over time with the WW posture it has gotten better rather than worse ... purely due to body position and postural changes.

I remember prior to the obvious signals of prolapse I would have frequent UTI's which I would imagine was due to not emptying bladder completely - only I didn't know that was the case, I assumed I had emptied.

It stuns me that there has been no other consideration of how the body works and how much our habits, posture, and activities can affect the function of our bowels and bladder ...

But I guess who would benefit if it was widespread that you can help this and it won't cost money or burden the hospital system with unnecessary or repeated surgeries. I just hope as women that we pass this information on to mothers, sisters and daughters etc., so that their first port of call is not to the doctor, but to look at their own posture and body use.

Forum:

Hi takecare - I just popped on line and I only have a second, but I could not jump off without saying a big AMEN to everything you've said here. So many people plagued with UTI's have no idea that they aren't emptying - especially those with prolapse. And as for doctors, I have no use for them since realizing that the one thing I needed to manage my prolapse was the one thing that none of them EVER would have suggested to me. Thanks for posting - Surviving

Someone, somewhere once made a statement along the lines of “save me from good men of good will”. I think the majority of the medical fraternity are good (wo)men, of good will, and we for the most part benefit enormously from that, unlike in the case of obvious money makers amongst them and the medical industry. And in this case, what we have to be saved from is the group think. If they have spent years studying and working at the socially accepted ‘right way of doing things’, we can’t really expect any of them to challenge such learning and practice full on. They must follow the system both for their patients’ and their own protection and their successes tell them this is the right thing to do. Or, be dismayed at the failures and work silently alongside it. There will be few and rare exceptions to this, and they must possess a singular independence of spirit as well as exceptional strength, knowledge and wisdom and support, if they are to be allowed to work within the system.

You are right takecare, it is up to us small group of women to tell other women and our doctors; from small things.

Best wishes, Fab

I think the smoking gun in the changeability of our symptoms has to be the intestines. Sometimes they are full and heavy - pressing on all sides - and other times giving room for normal functioning of surrounding organs. I’m not nearly as charitable as most of you regarding our doctors being bumbling, innocent victims of their own socialization. No one has had more data than the seasoned pelvic surgeon who has seen generations of women return after prolapse surgery with the exact same problems, for which there are no solutions. Just like our clitoris was omitted from early anatomy texts, the round ligaments of the uterus - the true heavy-lifters of prolapse reversal - have been omitted from any and all anatomical discussion.

Gynecology has colluded with orthopedics to deny a postural and lifestyle etiology to chronic disorders of the spine and pelvis. These have always been surgical specialties, which means they have built entire practices on a surgical model. Everything is fixed with surgery and that is that. Everyone buys into the paradigm - often to the point of the ridiculous - for one reason: so they can keep doing what they want to do. However, orthopedics takes the cake! For example, one guy in 1975 decided that all hip osteoarthritis is caused by birth defects, which can only be treated surgically - and the paradigm has never been challenged. The complicity is breathtaking.

That said...the urogynecology department at UNM has begun referring women to the WWCenter!! :-)

My gosh Christine! Your little footnote here is really quite huge! That's wonderful and it seems like yet another sign that change, however slow, is in the wind.

I appreciate your comments regarding intestines having so much impact on our symptoms. There are many times when mine seem to fluctuate for no reason that I can pinpoint. We just have to keep pulling up in posture and keep those bowels moving.

Absolutely cannot wait to hear the whole hips story. - Surviving

Surviving, thank you for all your wonderful support! I couldn't do this work alone! Yes, a woman is coming next week...I must take that doctor to lunch and regale her with stories of the true anatomy of the female pelvis. I never knew my life was going to take this turn!

I couldn't believe last night while looking thru the book what a big difference there is between the female and male pelvis.

Why hasn't this been noticed before? For fear of admitting to being wrong?

Good luck Christine. The first of more such interviews I'm sure. Our hope for the future of wholewoman holds firm. What you say makes so much sense, never forget that.