Exercises on the DVD

Body: 

Hi all,

How's everyone going with the DVD exercises? I'm guilty. I've had my DVD for several weeks now, and only just started doing them seriously. Christine, you *do* make them look easy.

I think I find them hard because I have quite strong glutes, abdominals and back muscles, from physio for disk problems, and taking up ballroom dancing. Trouble is I have fallen for the old core strength myth. All those deep pelvic muscles on the inside of the pelvis are like marshmallow! My inside triangles are not working with the outside triangles to give stability to the whole pelvic area, which probably contributed to the disk problems in the first place. (Oh no, not the triangle lady again!)And the prolapses too?

These exercises of yours are like trying to do Kegels the day after giving birth. The brain is just not speaking to the muscles. The muscles, they do not want to move!

However, I am finding that the pain and stiffness I experience every morning in my lower back and hips resolves quite quickly, just by doing these exercises. I imagine that this imbalance between the muscles inside the pelvis and those outside, has been happening since my 23 year old son was born, epitsiotomy and all, and ever since then my glutes, abs and back muscles have been trying to do the work of the deep internal muscles as well. No wonder I have knots in my buns and hammies like piano strings!

Christine, I can't find all that stuff you were writing about core stability, and doing some of the exercises vertically, which would be harder, but give more benefit. Which exercises would be more effective vertically?

My guess would be to do the:-

Paravaginal lift with two hands on baton over your head,
Rectovaginal lift using the back of a chair as a barre, leaning forward slightly (centaur-like posture),
Vertical knee raises, one at a time, standing, one hand on the back of a chair for balance if needed,
External oblique lifts standing with both hands on baton. Good for balance too.

Have I remembered and interpreted this correctly? Any amendments?

I can't help thinking that this may be the answer to my knots and piano strings every morning, which is really quite painful and debilitating, but I don't dare. I'll just have to do the work and wait and see.

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise!

I’m doing everything vertically now. It’s more strenuous, but the full-body stretching, lifting, etc. is infinitely better at “tightening the wheel.”

I’m using classic ballet positions, simply because there are only so many (five, actually) foot positions that lend themselves to natural movement and ballet has described them all.

It’s very progressive learning and for the average adult must start with extremely easy exercises of the feet and legs. Some women are so misshapen that just learning to balance the weight between three points on the sole of the foot while keeping knees over the toes in demi-plie is a major effort. All traveling movements are much more advanced since these must be done in third or fifth positions, another major learning curve for many.

But I’m finding that women really love the work, and can sense the importance of restructuring the body back toward symmetry, balance and grace – no matter what age.

Try making up a little program of your own, while holding the “baton” above your head. The key with this is to stretch the arms all the way straight up while keeping shoulders down and head stretched high at the crown. You can try traveling steps; leg lifts to front, side, and back; and balancing poses.

The present DVD program is a good starter, but I really feel the body (and prolapse) benefits most when our whole body is having to work with the full force of gravity.

Cheers back,

Christine

P.S. It looks like everything that had a hyperlink did not make it over to the new forum. I’ve requested the web folks look into it, but it may not be possible to find them again. I really want to put a new exercise program up soon, even if it’s something like streaming video.

I forgot to tell you, Louise, that I've also been using light ankle weights with the baton work, the theory being that things have "unwound" and by weighting the far extremities while holding the body in its natural shape can reverse the process. So far so good.

This 66 year old, non-athletic, body is working at the exercises! I am so grateful to see that some of my younger sisters here are also having a challenge in doing the exercises (I only got good grades in PE in highschool because the teacher knew I really was doing the best I could). Your video, Christine, makes it look so simple--and I know that with persistence I eventually will find it easier, though probably not nearly as graceful looking. Thanks for the encouragement we give to each other. Where do you get the wood batons? Is using two pound weghts instead OK? The standing posture is getting easier and starting to feel more natural than my usual posture. But the sitting posture just doesn't want to happen for me yet--I expect it will come in time. Reading so many of your stories makes me grateful my prolapse made its appearance after menopause. All my babies were large--9lb 9oz was smallest and 10 lb 12 oz largest besides several miscarriages and stillbirth with D & Cs, episiodomy--I feel so fortunate. And I share with some of you the wonderful experience of breastfeeding and homeschooling--both of which were not popular at the time. Maybe that is why most of us are looking for alternatives to surgery--we already don't necessarily "follow the leader" and we are used to looking for alternatives!

for breastfeeding and homeschooling when it wasn't popular! You trailblazed for those of us who do it now. Hats off. Even now, and in a pretty liberal area of the country, there's still looks askance at more long-term nursing and home schooling. Although, mostly with homeschooling, I find that people express admiration for it. I know what you mean about always going against the grain. My dh and I are both entrepreneurs, hated working for someone else, and fashioned a life that is sort of like a different era in the midst of a major metropolitan area.

I'm so happy YOU are happy getting more connected with your body.

There's one more item in our healing agenda that just came to me in the middle of last night that has put this whole theory of the anatomical reason for prolapse and the basis of prolapse treatment together...diaphragmatic breathing.

It's really all so very simple.

I won't write out again :-) how and why the pelvis and pelvic organs are most stable, but most of you understand that it's not when the gut is pulled in and the tailbone tucked under. In that posture it's necessary to use the chest, neck, and shoulders to breathe. It is also in that posture that everything in the pelvis is more vertically oriented, making the organs much more vulnerable to the forces of intraabdominal pressure.

Deep diaphramatic breathing causes the pelvic organs to be pushed down and forward. The natural lumbar curve ensures that the bladder, uterus, and sigmoid colon are pushed far enough forward to be pinned into place by the forces of breathing. Babies, young children, and healthy adults automatically use diaphragmatic breathing

Let's all try focusing ALOT more on our breath. Try breathing through your nose as much as you can. With each breath, push out the lower belly. We are not forgetting about the rectus muscles - they should be stretched nice and long when standing, but never pulled in. I think we're going to find that this is another big step toward balancing our natural anatomy.

Answers often come to me in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning. I really believe the primary reason I've been able to "see" the anatomy and rotate it around in my head to see it better comes from thirty years of sewing my own clothes. Who says "women's work" is without value? :-)

Christine

p.s. That baton in the video I bought a decade ago from a guy who was walking around our food market giving people free backrubs with them. It was originally designed as a back and foot massager and it feels great. I just kept using it to work out and it became a very valuable tool for the postural work. So, I had several of them made out of rock maple for the studio. If you want I can have more made and offer them here.

Hi Christine,

Unfortunately, after living in a previously moldy house, I developed asthma. My chiropractor, (who's a nutritionist), and has a son with asthma is also a proponent of deep diaphramatic breathing. He said MOST people actually breathe through their mouths, and NOT their noses at all! If I have a little asthmatic episode and get into the breathing technique -- all of my wheezing stops. If I continue breathing out through my mouth - I will continue to wheeze. It is truly amazing! Also, I have noticed that in many of the exercise classes, even yoga & pilates -- they teach breathing all wrong. They ask you to breath in through the nose and exhale through the mouth. So the bad habits are reinforced! I forget what the exact name of the breathing technique is called, but it is what you describe in and out through the nose and using deep diaphramatic breathing. It is not only helpful for prolapse, and keeping the correct posture, but also works for asthma! Interesting! Take good care, April

Hi Christine, You gave me some "ammunition" to use this afternoon when I go for acupuncture (I've been going for health concerns not related to prolapse and now she wants to educated on prolapse but is pressuring me to do crunches, etc. and I keep saying no). I so appreciate your website. One of the things I especially appreciate is you make things simple rather than urging us to go out to buy this gadget, etc. If you do get a supply of the wood batons, reserve one for me!!! Thanks Christine.

Thanks so much for this, April. I feel like we're sleuths and every little clue counts. Really, as much as the medical-pharmaceutical industry has emphasized how different we all are, I believe the deeper truths reside in our similarity. Also, if something is right, it has to be right for our whole being.

Ok, I think I am a proponent of deep diaphragmatic breathing too - and just didn't know it. My PT is having me breathe like this when I am doing my exercises. I thought it was the posture but I guess it could be both... I am afraid to jinx myself... but so far I haven't had my allergies kick in yet! The azaleas and other spring plants are all starting to bloom here, and that usually signals my allergies, but so far so good. I can't believe it, everyone else is suffering badly. I have been telling everyone it's another benefit of the posture but now I am thinking it's the breathing, or both? I hope I didn't just jinx myself ;-).

Kathy

I think what we're going to find is that one supports the other.

Hi Aprile

I previously posted about breathing techniques and asthma. I have learned to breathe differently and managed to free myself completely from the tyranny of preventers and relievers, and no longer fear going anywhere without Ventolin. The amount of 'back' pain I experience has also decreased dramatically.

The technique I learned is Buteyko, which also stresses the importance of posture. One of the main principles Buteyko breathing teaches you to maintain residual air in your lungs at all times, to maintain a high level of carbon dioxide in the lungs.(It is really hard to empty the lungs completely in Wholewoman posture).

The human body really don't need a lot of oxygen at all. Carbon dioxide is not only a waste gas. CO2 is an essential ingredient for the respiration process as a kind of catalyst in the process of detaching oxygen from haemoglobin when it needs to leave the bloodstream and enter the tissues of the body. If CO2 level in the blood is too low, the blood oxygen level will remain high, but oxygen cannot leave the bloodstream to enter the tissues. This turns the whole accepted theory of respiration upside down.

Constriction of the bronchial tubes and mucous production (asthma symptoms)is the body trying to slow down the escape of CO2. Breathing in and out through the convoluted passages of the nasal cavity does this too, so the bronchial tubes relax and open again. That's the theory as I understand it, anyway. You can find out more about Buteyko by googling "buteyko". There are practitioners in many countries, and lots of free info on lots of websites, but you really need to learn from a qualified practitioner.

That means $$$, but so do Respiratory Physicians, time off work to do the three hour round trip to their rooms, and medications. I figure I will have paid for my course after about three years of not spending on medicos and drugs.

The end of the story is that I now try to maintain a very upright posture (a la Wholewoman). In this posture it is very difficult to empty your lungs completely. (If you tuck your bottom in, the upper back tends to round, and empty the lungs (try it!), and prolapsed bits try to escape too ;-).)

So now I have two good reasons to move like a goddess. Keep your mouth for eating and speaking, keep breathing through your nose and walk tall.

Cheers

Louise

Louise, I appreciate so much all the wonderful information you've contributed!! Thank you for writing it out for us!! We all MUST get together someday!!!

Dear Christine

You have become a good friend to me over the last few months. I have gained so much information and encouragement from you and all the other Forum contributors. Thankyou to all of you (((hug))).

One of the things about Wholewoman is that it is not only about prolapses. All sorts of health issues are discussed, and we can all have a laugh, instead of crying. It is more like a bunch of us having morning tea while the kids are at school. We bring all the things that puzzle us about our special famale bodies (because our mothers would faint or leave the room if we asked them) and throw them into the ring for comment and answers. It really is secret women's business, 2006-style.

I think we have lost the abililty to 'pass on women's stuff' as society and families have changed and become more mobile. Our group of peers is our family now, and I wouldn't be without you all.

I find that people are very conservative when it comes to challenging doctors or even asking doctors questions. Going against the grain is just too hard. So I just keep telling them alternative things that I discover, read here or elsewhere, and hope that their ears are open. If they are not, then I can't be responsible for that.

But here we have a real Wholewoman approach, where women can visit and join us when they are ready, ask and receive the wisdom of others who have been there. And learn about women's bodies. Saving the Wholewoman is so well referenced from mainstream scientific journals. It has real mainstream credibility. The facts cannot be denied.

Some of the things women write about may or may not work for me, or you, but they are real gifts, and we may not find them in any other place. They are here for the taking. Thankyou for this.

I have been amazed how Wholewoman posture and exercises have worked in with Buteyko breathing for me. My overall health is improving no end. I can only ask others to investigate it for them if they feel inclined.

Keep up the good work. Yes, I would like to meet you one day too. At least I now know now where Albuquerque is.:-)

Cheers

Louise

I want to write a long answer to this but am very short on time until the weekend....

Hugs to you, too.

Hi Louise,

Yes, now I remember .... that WAS the name of the breathing technique my chiropractor mentioned. I truly believe it has helped my asthma tremendously to consciously breathe in and out through my nose. I know for a fact that I am not breathing through my mouth even while sleeping because I never wake with a dry mouth. By complete contrast, my hubby always wakes up saying he's so dry. I want to tell him -- "stop breathing through your mouth -- AND STOP the snoring!!!" But it's so interesting how this method of breathing really takes care of the asthma. I don't know how I will be in the Spring when the allergens are in full bloom, but for now I'm not using my asthma medicine. I am currently using grape seed extract and perimine from my chiro/nutritionist which help support the immune system. I feel my prolapse has probably been helped by this new breathing technique as well. I know the posture has helped me tremendously and I don't even do the exercises. By the way, I liked the last line of your post about using your mouth for eating and speaking and using your nose for breathing -- YOU are too funny! Have a great day! Take care, April

I see that you mentioned you do ballroom dancing? Are you currently doing it? Did you do it before your prolapse began?

I used to work out alot and took some social dancing classes. I don't think Tae bo is good for prolapse anymore. I really miss that and kickboxing/martial arts. None of which is prolapse friendly.

But I would really want to take some dance classes like ballroom or latin style. Just wanted to know how you feel with the dancing and prolapse. Thanks!!

Hi Mommi2three

I only started dancing about 12 months ago, partly because I have always wanted to, partly for exercise to help back pain, and partly for something my DH and I could physically do together. It has been great whole body exercise, as opposed to the single muscle exercises from the physiotherapist (I also have several herniated discs).

So I have only done it post-prolapse, and have had no negative effects.

It is very compatible with Wholewoman posture, with weight on balls of feet and toes, tall stance with arms high, and non-locked knees. I do stick to lowish heels, never been one to wear a lot of high heels anyway. I did have a bit of a problem initially with my shoes, but the maker later inserted really thick arch supports, which has taken the pressure off the balls of my feet.

Latin, in particular, is great because of the amount of pelvic movement. It really seems to loosen me up in the lower back and pelvis. It is all really controlled movement (eg waltz, quickstep, foxtrot, tango), so I have become a lot more body-aware.

It is great whole body exercise, and really feeds my love of music and rhythm. I can now do so many more things with my body than I could 12 months ago, just because all my muscles are stronger. It has also done wonders for my balance, so my whole body seems more relaxed.

DH and I try to practise twice during the week by removing two cars from our garage, giving it a sweep and away we go in our old shoes. The concrete floor is not as pleasant to dance on as the studio where we have classes, but we still get to dance and still get the exercise.

It has really built our relationship as well. I must tell you that it did take me about 12 months to convince DH to come and learn with me. Don't be put off. It has been worth it. He is loving it too.

Best of luck,

Louise

Aha Aprile, You have experienced it too! I only did my course in January. Our spring allergy season doesn't really start until August/September, so I too am waiting to see what happens. Keep us updated with your progress.

I am not sure where you live? We no longer seem to be able to look at other people' profiles with the new forum setup. I don't think there are a lot of Buteyko practitioners in The States, but I may be wrong.

Cheers

Louise

Oh, you have made my day! It is something i can look forward to when my prolapses are not bothering me thru out the day. I just hate to think that walking or biking is the only alternative exercises for women with prolapse. I can do them but it is not as mentally energizing like dancing.

Dancing it is so invigorating. It is good training for the mind and body. Wow, you got DH to go with you! Impressive! It sure makes for nice bonding and great to have a partner that you can practice with anytime. :)

We are so busy with 3 toddlers that it would be great to have some quality time together. I think it will take ALOT of convincing. I'm just excited to hear it's ok women with prolapse!

I'd love to hear about different dance styles that you have tried. I will start slow and not do any stunts like "Dancing with the Stars". Thank you for sharing your experience! :)

Dear Mommi2three

Hey, you have lots of time. I remember what it was like with three littlies under 6. I can't say that I had any energy for anything other than looking after kids at that stage. Bed was for sleeping, and feeding babies, and reading stories, and stuff like that. All I can say is that it changed.:-)

I wish I had been as assertive then as I am now. We had little support with childcare then, so where we went, they all came too. Doesn't work with dance classes. Our babies are 23, 21 and 19. It has taken a long time to get them grown up, and have the time to put in for both of us. There is a time for everything, as they say.

If you can, go for it. I doubt you will regret it. We both wish we had started earlier, but it just wasn't practical. Good luck.

Cheers

Louise

ps The secret to selling it to DH was to point out to him that it's really just vertical foreplay. It was a cinch from then on.